1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Real Long exposures on the Canon d500

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

When in Tv mode It appears I can only get 15 second exposures. How can I get real long exposures of several minutes ?

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

keep adjusting the exposure by turnig the wheel to the left. on mine it gets up to 30 seconds then changes to bulb. once on this, press the shutter button once to start taking the picture , then again to stop

hope this helps

3. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glenn,

I could be wrong as I'm a Nikon guy but isnt Tv mode canons name for shutter priority mode? If so Id just set the camera to Apeture mode, select the F/ number I want and let it work it out the correct exposure from the apeture you selected???

Ben

4. Baramundi Bob

Im hoping to play with real long shutter openings to see what effects I can get with the clouds moving.

5. CBass

CBass New Member

The mode dial on the top, set it manual not Tv. You will be able to change it both aperture and shutter speed.

Turn the dial or button for shutter speed up and up, after 30 seconds it will go to bulb. The shutter will stay on as long as you hold the button.

It's quite hard to do by holding the button, much easier with a remote.

You wont be able to use long shutter speeds during the day without blowing everything unless you have an ND filter.

6. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Chris. I dont know anything about aperture. What should I be setting it too for longer shutter speeds. Also, how much is a remote ?

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

that depends on your subject glenn and what sort of depth of field you want. smaller apertures (higher F numbers) will get more of the picture in focus (ideal for landscapes) and larger apertures (small F numbers) will focus more on your focus point and the background will be more blurred (ie for portaits or macro.

and the aperture setting will affect your exposure (larger aperture will let more light in)

your camera will have a DOF (depth of Field) preview button which lets you preview the effect your aperture setig will have on your Depth of field (how much is in focus)

8. CBass

CBass New Member

You're welcome but my name isn't Chris :confused:

As the fox says,
    small aperture (higher number) =less light, larger DOF
    large aperture (smaller number)= more light smaller DOF

The only way you can increase the exposure time is by making the aperture smaller. DOF is also affected by distance from the subject, the closer you get the smaller the DOF and by the focal length of the lens your Sigma 10mm will have a huge DOF a long telephoto will have a small one. As I said though in daylight you'll struggle to get a long exposure without a filter.

Most lenses have a sweet spot for sharpness though (normally f8-f11) after that they suffer from diffraction.

Get a remote off ebay, they are literally a couple of quid, don't bother with an official canon one, a rip off IMHO.

Try on the pier at sunrise though it should work for light, put your camera in Av, set it to F8 or so, it will give you a shutter speed from the metering from the camera, early on like that it should be around the 30s mark, give that a go.

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I am waiting delivery of a remote shutter release Glen,
    but my camera is a sony,

i did see a sort of universal one on e bay for about £5, but i still wasnt sure ,
    so i opted for a one from the Sony centre in middlesbrough,

the price was £29-99 free delivery, i know it is six times the price of one from e bay
    But i will be more confident in the sony item, :yes:

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

my wired remote cost me £3 from ebay, works great :yes:

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

my remote is wireless Matty, as the Sony A330 does not have a port for a wired shutter release, :confused:

to be honest, although the Sony Alpha is quite a good DSLR starting Camera
    But the accessories are quite expensive compared to Cannon and Nikon, :yes:

I may in at some time change my Camera ,but while i have it i may as well learn
    allthings DSLR before changing , :happy:

12. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I shouldn't have entered this part of the forum. I've been on the net since early afternoon pricing remotes, filters and new lenses up. :laugh:

13. Baramundi Bob

Thanks for all your advice Dave. Please keep it coming. I sense there is a big learning curve ahead. I aint got the sigma lense yet. Hoping it will arrive this week.

What was your web adresss ?

14. Baramundi Bob

How do wireless remotes work, and how much is a cheap one ?

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Glen . I am no expert at this but ,wireless i think would be better than wired ,
    absolutely no micro movement whatsoever,

allso not sure ,but wireless may allso activate other options on your camera ,
    not sure but worth checking out .

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

dont think there would be any difference between wired and wireless to be honest. benefit of wireless is you could be further away from your camera

17. CBass

CBass New Member

No probs Steve :crazy:

My web address is www.basstechcamera.co.uk

The design is all going to change soon as it needs some up to date photos and I'm not sure I like the name :whatever:

Wireless remotes are just like little tele remotes, search for 500d remote on fleabay you'll see hundreds.

I don't know about wired remotes but I know on my wireless you can hold shutter button down on bulb mode for a few seconds and then let go and press it again when you want to close the shutter, real handy for 5 minute exposures.

18. Baramundi Bob