1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading the sea and shoreline - what do you look for?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Oct 16, 2013.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

When visiting new marks what's the main feature(s) you look for when doing a recce to decide how and where to fish? (Cod species)

Gullys, shelves, holes - running parallel with the shore or perpendicular, does it matter? What about size of gullys - are the small channels worth noting or just the significant ones? Even fissures in the scaurs? Small rock pools?

What about at high tide - tell tale signs of deep water, sand bars, holes?

Is there one definitive feature that is a must have?

How did you learn to put all the features into the mix and come up with the optimum mark to fish relative to tide, wind, wave, swell etc? Also, depends on time of year when the fish are on crab or worm, rock or sand?

I know I'm asking a lot (million dollar question and crystal ball springs to mind ::) )but any info would be appreciated. It's not always possible, due to distance to travel to a mark, to undertake full recces before fishing, but at the same time you don't want to be wasting your time stood their freezing your nuts off for obvious mistakes :eek:

Thanks again for the help and guidance

PS has anybody read any books on the above? I know there is a lot of useful info on the forum on a number of specific marks which is also very helpful ;)

2. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Getting a look at your mark the bottom of a neap tide in summer is the only way you get to see what's there.

Everything that isn't green will be invisible come high tide in winter ...

[​IMG]

Wandering around with clear water I found holes in all this kelp. Under arm flick as the tide turned got me a lot of Bass. If it is accessible in winter (possibly summer too) then I would try the same spot for Cod...

[​IMG]

Then again check the 'Hair rig thread' before taking any of my advice ::)

3. robq

robq Rockling

A lot depends on wether you are fishing daylight or dark

Even in a good sea with colour I would be looking for depth and tide tide in daylight, say 20ft plus

However in dark I would be looking for shallow water maybe 2 to 6ft

4. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's intresting rob,so in darkness u would fish a shallow mark & in day light target a deep venue ?
    Why a shallow venue in the dark ?.

5. robq

robq Rockling

Because the fish are more confident in darkness so move into shallow water to take advantage of feed that they wont get to in daylight.

Try fishing holbeck in daylight and you will be ,lucky go see a fish even in good conditions. After dark you would be very confident after dark :)

Im talking about rock fishing north of brid here, the holderness is a different kettle of fish ;)

6. robq

robq Rockling

I forgot to add, if I were fishing in dark in flat, clear conditions I would head for depth and tide the same as for daylight fishing ;)

7. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cheers 4 reply buddy,I know wot your saying pal,I think it woz just the way I read your post,me head went,it's been one of them days !!forgive me.yeh fully agree,I prefer darkness,where the fish have the cofidence to move in "close under cover"to see wot grub is available to them,where if it's shallow/sunny conds they can be just out of reach or not feeding/spooked.where day light in heavily col water like hot choc they come in closer & have the confidence.same dwn ere on the holderness in the summer for the hounds ,once the col dropped out so did the fish :'(
    cheers rob,many thanks

8. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

And yet in summer you catch in clear shallower water amongst the kelp, which for me really confuses things. Why does light put them off in winter, surely they are as vulnerable to predators in summer as winter. Maybe warmer water makes them fast swimmers ????

:eek:

9. robq

robq Rockling

Yeah it took me a while to get my head around the difference between summer and winter rock cod fishing John :p

It still puddles my head a bit early and late season ::)

10. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i know what rob is saying about certain venues are only any good in darkness and rarely see a fish in daylight,
    rhb springs to mind ,very shallow and without good colour seems devoid of fish but after dark a different venue and have seen it full of fish.
    in my opinion ,i have put this down to fish feeding by sight during daylight rather than scent as they do in darkness or very heavily coloured water and during daylight will be hunting fish crabs ect by sight so a big smelly bait is less likely to be found.
    this is only my opinion but cod dont seem to like daylight,the north is full of places that are not worth fishing in daylight without heavily coloured water.

frank.