1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Haven't been here fishing for over 30 years, decided to visit fri night with a mate who has moved into the area recently.
    Bit of a hike down there but the crawl back up was a killer.

Don't shoot me down, but i should have done a little more homework on the area.
    More than a couple of seals around as tide was ebbing !, counted 47 on that big rock plateau that i wanted to be on...needless to say i didn't chuck any lead out - i managed to have a tussle with a seal off the brigg 10 years ago and didn't fancy it again.
    On way back up, a third of the way i read the info board (stating there is a 300+ seal colony) :mad: on the location.
    Q. Do the seals bugger off at certain times of year or are they there 365 days ?

2. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Alas they are there all year round now. The last time I went down there I saw all the seals hauled out on the righthand side so crept over to the left hoping not to disturb them. Unfortunately there was another dozen seals that I didn't see basking under a ledge that I spooked into the water. We got to the end of the flat rock put the gear down turned round and there must have been about sixty heads bobbing in the sea watching us. They came that close that my nephew could hit them with his spinning rod. The seals lost interest and slowly dispersed after a couple of hours. Surprisingly we did manage to catch a couple of small pollock and a mackerel without being attacked. If it wasn't such a hike we would have just turned round and gone straight back.
    The other year as I was leaving as the tide came back in I came across a woman who was watching a seal pup. I told her to get off the rock as it would be covered in about ten minuets but she refused to go. She said she had no phone signal so had sent her boyfriend to phone the RSPCA because the pup was on its own. I told her it was normal for the mother to leave the pup while hunting for food but see still refused. Don't know what happened to her we were half way back up and could still see her hanging about at the bottom.

3. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

Last time I went down it was two steps forward one step back, because of the mud. I vowed never to go down there again.:eek:

4. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Seals On The Yorkshire Coast - Whitby Photography

good pickse ven if you have a love/hate of them

also corneliun bay , filey to cayton has a BIG colony of them, few years ago

wife said " fishing rod stuck up near cliff edge" this was followed by a filey

club member & boxer dog scrambling over cliff.

hed had to stop plugging along the reefs due to bull seals stalking his dog

as it swam between the scars he was worried for its safety.

last new years day marine vet & crew in raven hall after yomp down to

bottom to release pot tow from a seal, they were well goosed .

5. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

they getting to be bigger nuisance as the years pass

6. faraday

Thanks for replies, that location is off my list then....

7. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Oh to be young and fit again
    Ravenscar is a must for Anglers but boy it's a killer so make sure your fit before you attempt it, I loved the place but it's off my list of venues as way too much for a 59year old cripple so you young fit lads who fancy it do it in daylight as the scaur gets cut off halfway through the tide and that's not a place to get stuck as it all gets covered just the last place to go under is the furthest from shore,
    Best go down with someone that knows the place that the safest bet and enjoy the place it's beautiful but keep in mind it's dangerous.

8. faraday

Yes frank, i stood and watched it ebb s to n so obvious to watch ya back on the flood, read previous write ups re the flood and which tides to watch from there.
    Hey i am on route for 52, consider myself fit for my age (but it was a tough hike back up), was wet through with sweat by time we got back up to the top haha.
    May well stick to my scaur marks, brigg and marine drive.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. robq

robq Rockling

Ravenscar is a bridge to far for me now o_O

I used to be obsessed with the place, mainly blea wyke rather than peak steel. However its a place thats never been really kind to me :rolleyes:

That coupled with the long drive to get there, then the lungbusting climb especially when muddy:eek: is just too much effort for too little reward. The seal colony down there that has exploded in recent years was then final nail in the coffin.

There are a lot of good marks that I drive past to get to ravenscar and I prefer to spend my precious free time concentrating on them :)

10. faraday

Thanks for the info rob, going to venture farther afield from scarboro this year for a change.
    Dont mind a good trek, climb or mud - it's just got to have some reward at the end of it.
    Been hammering filey brigg this year, probably had about 40+ fish but 38 ish all undersize - and upto 25 lobsters i think. Got a bit fed up with it tbh.