1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAPALA SLIVER - Trolling question

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Tomtom, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Tomtom

Tomtom Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'm thinking of buying a rapala sliver for trolling from my kayak. what sort of pace would you reccomend to paddle and what sort of fish am i likely to pick up?

2. robq

robq Rockling

Re: trolling question

The sliver is quite a deep diver and you will find that in less than 12ft of water you be snagging regularly, especially if there is weed coming up from the bottom. I tend to use the sliver in 16-30ft depths. Dont forget that most predators will attack from below and will think nothing of coming up 10ft + to attack a lure.

If you are paddling into tide I would say that 1 to 2 mph would be fine and maybe 2-4mph when trolling with the tide. You should get bass and pollack mate :yes:

Rob

3. Tomtom

what type of lure would you use that is slightly shallower diving and wont snag as much for bass and pollock?

4. robq

robq Rockling

Rapala J13 or x - raps go to about 4-6ft and are ideal for water 8ft to 15ft or even deeper. For water less than 8ft then something like a maria angel kiss or sw is good

5. cps

cps Rockling

slivers trol well and fast upto 8mph no problem my boat will only go 4mph at tik over so we strugel a bit with lure selection chepos just pop to the top good quality lures dont, even the yozuri cristal minows dont lke it to fast

6. Tomtom

thanks for that. would anyone reccomend the rapala deep down husky jerk. has anyone had any success with this lure?

7. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Why do you want to troll so deep? Both the fish you're after you can catch high up in the water, even when over deep water. Not that you need to be in particularly deep water for either fish, mind...

xraps are a good trolling lure, never get too deep, though the larger sizes are said to go down to 10ft or so.

I think it can be helpful to remember that the deeper a lure trolls, the less fish will see it. They see a upwards cone of sight, so the lower down that cone you are, the less time and less chance you'll have to pass through it. Hope that kind of makes sense!

Tight lines.

8. Tomtom

thanks alot for the advice

9. Tomtom

where can i buy a rapala x-rap

10. brad

brad Blenny

http://www.rapalaworld.com
    Not sure where you can buy them from but if you go to the rapala web site all the lures are listed and what they do and how to fish them. Very informative.

11. Tomtom

thanks alot

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

13. newdave

newdave Guest

[​IMG]
    pollock in particular love this lure, also takes the odd Bass :wink:

in your opinion Biscuit :yes:, my too best Bass this year both caught in depth of 20ft +, one on a deep down husky, one on a jellyworm.

14. Tomtom

thanks for that spawny bass.

15. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Love my Slivers, fished with them a few times this year, locally and in Scotland, they hook the bigger pollock but forget landing them - cos they so deep diving the fish have you in the kelp stright away. Lost a lot of big fish on them and a lot of lures.

Think you are much better off with slightly shallower lures such as j13s etc, gives you more of a chance of getting there heads up.

Just my experiences

ken

16. Baramundi Bob

Dont mention bloody pollack. Ive lost count of how many lures Ive lost to them things this summer.

17. Tomtom

what is the best colour j13s? or doesent it matter about colour?

18. Baramundi Bob

Poor toms gonna end up with 1 of everything :surprise:. Have I told you about my sucess with the Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow Red Head Tom. Certainly a contender for number 1 pollack lure :educated: :cheesy:.

19. newdave

newdave Guest

plus the competition for who has the most lures is over now, Buzz has an unassailable lead :laugh:

20. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

tom i use blue j13
    cheers ian