1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rapala Poppers - How To Fish The Skitter Pop

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, May 28, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Rapala Skitter Pop - Top Water Lures

Yes its American and the guys crazy but a lot of what is said will apply to popping over here. Well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFtt0243XQ

2. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It says the video is no longer available on mine Glenn :confused:

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

me too but you can go to menu and copy/paste the link

4. Baramundi Bob

Yeah it does on mine too Ray. I only watched it 5 mins ago :laugh: :laugh: Hope the yank didnt read that I called him crazy :laugh:

Basically the guy fishes the popper then goes balistic everytime he hooks a fish. A bit like Rex Hunt on Cocaine.

5. Baramundi Bob

Ah, its says embedding disabled (more and more people are unwilling to share these days - Miserable gits)

Just use the link to go to you tube and watch it - Click where it says You Tube on the video above..

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I,ve got to say that poppers are the lures I,m interested in. Probably due to the fact that everything is so visible from working the lure and being able to see what it,s doing to the fish hitting it or swirling around it, if it would just calm down a little :sad:

7. Baramundi Bob

Wont be long now Ray :cheesy: :cheesy: Im just putting the last few Peelers in the Freezer :happy:. Isnt it a shame that out of all those Rapala vids on you tube none are English. I think we need to get Jellyworm to make us a popping Vid

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Got to admit, seeing that bass hit my Storm popper was one of the most amazing fishing moments of my life and will never be forgotten.

9. Baramundi Bob

You caught a bass on a plug Ken. You've never mentioned that :cheesy: :cheesy:. I bet it was great. Hopefully will be some bigger to come for you Flamborough lads this summer.

10. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Did I mention I caught a bass :cheesy: :cheesy: :laugh:

Ray I got it on good authority that a popper works in a good chop and it wasnt exactly flat down in Gurn. :happy:

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

[​IMG]

A great experience Ken. Some of the popping videos I,ve seen are quite funny but really exciting, especially when they repeatedly come flying out of the water and keep missing the popper :surprise: I think they are perhaps trying to whack it to stun it thinking it,s a real fish because such a voracious predator can,t be that bad at grabbing a fish. Here are some of my poppers. The 2 on the right are the Rapala Skitterpop which is what he was using on the vid, I think one of them is the same colour too :surprise: The one on the left is a Dexter Darter and it,s mouth is angled the opposite way to the others to just get it sub-surface when it,s worked. The blue one without a concave mouth is a Rapala Skitterwalk which leaves a fizzy bubble trail behind it and looks very effective when it,s zig-zagged. Theres a couple of small cheapo,s on the left with 2 Yo-Zuri Hydro poppers next to them which cast very well then theres the Yo-Zuri mag poppers 4 in all but in 2 sizes which are rated very highly in the Bass fishing circles.

12. carpyken

carpyken New Member

They're gorgous Ray, did i mention i had a bass on a popper? :laugh: I was using a Storm Chug Bug, one of the larger ones, sprayed water everywhere and they cast a long long way. They been catching on them all winter down that way and Andy Marques who is an angling guide on Gurn even catches on them in the pitch dark

13. newdave

newdave Guest

Cant wait to see you get the pink lad out Ray, might attract a gay bass :laugh: I love those yo zuri mag jobs, they cast so easy :happy:

14. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Any Bass will do Dave :whistle: I actually had my pink lady out the day Iain caught those 2 nice Bass but you obviously weren,t paying attention despite the fact that I was waggling it right in front of you :laugh:

15. mouldybits

mouldybits New Member

nout wrong with a pink popper :embarrass: :whistle:

16. johnhelen

johnhelen New Member

Ah!!! yea , .. the screams of "YES YES YES" comes flooding back :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: result mate :wink:

17. Baramundi Bob

Im getting excited thinking about that. One thing I would love to see is a bass strike a lure. I remember quints face was a picture when he caught that decent bass last year, and the story of the shoal of big bass following the hooked one around takes some beating.

18. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

To date I've had no luck with poppers but I hear and have read that they are very good - the take has to be an ultimate angling experience, especially from a large angry fish - I remember that 5lber last year that came from no where and smashed into the lure right at the yaks side, flaring its gill plates and fins as it struck - I can still visualize it now - but all this talk is pointless until the man above sorts out this weather :angry:

19. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

20. Baramundi Bob

Youve been acting strange ever since the dogging topic Ray. Take a cold shower mate :cheesy: