1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for you lads who fish in the kelp beds

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by scaleback, Oct 2, 2013.

1. scaleback

scaleback Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i am just recently getting into fishing on rock marks and into the kelp beds, i am after info on best tactics ie, rigs bait and the best way to approch this tipe of fishing, i cant find any topics for this would be greatfull for any info or could some one create a topic for the above.THANKS JOHN

2. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Simple rigs defo...there is plenty of info on the forum on rock marks ect

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

3. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Most kelp beds are within 80 yard cast, so use heavy line. I used to use 37lb, but now 66lb braid.
    Some much more experienced than me, but this is mine -
    Simple pulley rig, 66lb braid main, 60lb shock, 50lb snood, reliable 'rotton bottom' (20lb connection?) 6/0 hook.
    Others will disagree I am sure (and I have learnt a great deal recently by people doing exactly that) but I do not use Pennel, as always worried top hook will snag on way in if fish only takes one.
    Usually peeler or cart.

4. scaleback

are the rigs you use long or short

5. lipslicker

Approx. 2-2.5 feet. You don't want much more.
    And, don't use those bought bait clip/rotton bottoms, unless the ones that very simply incorporate them into the wire on plain leads. Most use panel pin and float method, I use a home made 's' shaped (kind of) wire that is lost with every cast (similar to 'canny clip'?)
    Sometimes I don't bother clipping down anything down at all, when sub 40 yard casts.
    Simple. Simple. Simple.
    And STRONG!

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

$hit this is a tough one and there are so many approaches these days. Please do use the search button as there is masses of info on here but you will have to go through lots of search terms and read lots of articles and topics.

A few tips. Learn the kelp beds. Go at low tide with very clear water, learn where the channels run through the kelp beds, learn where the clear patches are and aim to fish into them. Just one example. Short Hole at Goldsborough as Kelpy as hell, but a nice channel runs from 10 yards at the back of sharks tooth and out to the left as you look out to sea. Go at low tide with clear water and the channels are clear to see in the kelp. also Google earth etc does show some channels in various kelp beds across the coast.

Consider a gripper or a soft wire grip. If your in the channel you dont want to roll about and into the kelp and get snagged up. A lot of lads like to use soft wire grippers around here, so might be worth learning how to make them. Some people use the copper wire out twin and earth to make the grippers with a soft wire.

doggy do do, you could go on forever. Get reading and listen to what others have to offer you.

Keep rigs simple. Speak to CPS aBOUT THIS. The simpler the better is the way. Just ask any NE rock angler how many beeds are in his rig, and he will slap you across the chops. This often means no impact shields, no rotten bottom clips, just really really simple so there is nothing to snag.

7. scaleback

some great advice there lads thanks a lot will try these tactics and see how i get on

8. Baramundi Bob

As well as searching, remember that the topic tags can be useful. Try this link :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tags;tagid=2270

Also there are many other useful tags dotted about the forum that could help you search out specific topics. Have a look at the following link :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23720.0

9. Baramundi Bob

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/category/cod-fishing/winter-cod-fishing-cod-fishing/

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Good advice about simple rigs just a loop to loop rig for short work so a lead on weak link at one end and the hook snnod heavy line single hook wired to stop bait moving on the hook. I don t often fish kelp holes but I have the rigs with me to blob right into them if needed

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

11. Baramundi Bob

I remember Scaifey telling me off for using a rotter hook. Said to use only the pin method

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Aye and Ray berrated me for using beads etc at bemmo........ I learnt the hardway but my rigs now are very very simple and I m always tweaking them but still em as simple as possible even beach rigs. Costs less too and are easier to make. All positives to me as I d rather be Fishing than making rigs ;-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

13. scaleback

would you use a rolling bomb or gripper in the kelp

14. Baramundi Bob

I almost always use a grip lead in kelp, especially heavy kelp. Its personal preference and others will tell you im mad. I think it works best. Less snags.

15. lipslicker

Sounds as though I could still be in for a bollocking then, as a bead still finds it's way onto mine.
    :)

16. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Since i've switched to mono i've started loosing a shed load of tackle cant put a point on it something i'm doing wrong? i know you expect to loose some gear on the rough stuff but not what i'm loosing! never had a problem with braid

17. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Never having gained the experience from living near the coast it took me a long time to work that one out. Gone from chucking a bait out at (random) range into 'whatever' to an underarm flick, just as the flood starts, onto a bit of 'bare land' in amongst the Kelp that I spotted on a spring tide in July. You only get about half an hour on the patch but it is worth it. Could have kicked myself to death for having missed the obvious for so long but that's experience for you.

Tried the 'really simple' but didn't like it. I now always use the same rig everywhere - my own version of a 'pulley'. Having said that, lad in Whitby Angling shop (Dan?) gave me the best advice I have had when he said that if I wasn't loosing 'end tackle' then I might be fishing in the wrong places. Sure enough, once I started dropping a bait into all those 'risky' (tacklewise) areas I started getting fish. He might have even known what he was talking about ;)

Since then I have always headed out on nice sunny summer days at the lowest tide to have a look at what is available. Lot more confidence now come Winter. It really does help now that I know what I'm dropping the bait onto. (stop laughing back there in the match section)

18. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Lipslicker has a mean rotten bottom rig for the rough stuff,that he was good enough to show me some time ago ,although he uses it with a pulley, I use it with a plain single flowing snood from the main trace line, it incorporates a bait clip and rotten bottom link in one,,simple and brilliant IMO.
    I used to use the pin and float , which is a good rig,but I think Lipslickers has the edge especially if you are chucking any distance. My variation has the mono, the sinker, the single swivel, the hook and the wire bait clip/rotten bottom release, no bead.
    Maybe if you ask nicely he will put up a diagram.

Roger.

19. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

I tend to keep my traces plain and simple when fishing kelpie marks standard loop trace with a rotter on.
    If using pulley rigs in kelp keep them very short to get the best results ;)

20. cps

cps Rockling

I haven't used pins for years glen carnet be bothered to make them then they go rusty and don't come out
    just use lead with a hook in the top to handg on the trace loop for casting just whip the line on like a spade end hook, even coso makes them like that now and has for a long time
    beads don't girls use them for sowing ?
    swivels yep they sell them in tackle shops for boat angling
    I just use an 2/0 oval split ring [ has to be mustad ]
    just use a 90lb [ I cast quite hard at times] trace around 2ft 6 inch long with a spider loop top and bottom and a blood loop for the hook 6 inch down then 40lb mono hook length to the loop from the hook around 2 ft long
    think a lot of anglers round hear fish a rig like or almost like that
    same with them stupid big plastic bait clips get fast as much as leads do if your gona use them make sure thee on a week link with the lead