1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for doc - or anyone who knows about bass gender!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by biscuitlad, Sep 11, 2009.

1. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Curious thing I've noticed in the bass I've caught this year, is that they seem to be all (or nearly all) male. Other than the odd big fish (i.e. over 5lb), all the fish I catch seem to have milt rather than roe in their bellies. Why is this? Or is it that I'm mistaking something for milt that is something else? I'm referring to what looks like milt in other fish - e.g. trout have soft white bits, similar shape to their roe. I know bass have a sort of fatty tissue on either side of their ribcages, that's not what I'm referring to. This stuff looks like milt. If it is, then the ratio for the fish I catch must be in excess of 10 males to 1 female. Has anyone else noticed this?

Maybe it's the case that young male fish shoal up close in, while the females are elsewhere? I've heard they do that in the spring before mating, but not now. So what's going on with our local bass?

Doc - your answer please!