1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'PURE SMUT' - Featuring Very Little and a Good bit Larger.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by prof tench, Jul 5, 2007.

1. macky

macky New Member

i have persiveared for months with fish baits for the bass on holderness coast

ZILCH!

once again crab comes out on top, rag gets fish but they tend to be scoolies
    put the hours in with crab and u will pick out the bigger ones
    Squid takes the odd ones, but not very consistant

had them to just short of 9lb and plenty over 5lb

2. prof tench

prof tench Guest

No one could ever argue with your results with Bass down here Macky and that is a fact, top rod! As discussed above though crab will never be for everyone and there are plenty who do use it, who can't come close to matching them?

Be very interested in your experiences with fish on Holderness though, blanks and failures are often more revealing than successful sessions. Just as you've been generous to tell us with your 'crab tips' there are ways to get the best out of fish.

Cheers, T

ps - are you going to the Brigg then Chris, I look forward to the report - 'Macky goes Macky bashing'? Like it ;D! Also did you get anywhere with your Hound tagging plans?

3. dbrown

dbrown Guest

8 pound is quite abit to pay for me cause i never have the money but i rarely pay for bait exept the odd worms and mussels.

4. macky

macky New Member

Been out today and fished crab against squid

and it came out 50/50, had fish on crab and squid
    but i did get the hound on the crab, albeit a small un
    also had a fish on fresh mackrel!

1 of the rays wasnt a thornback, i think it was a spotted ray

any idea?

My mate also had a tope about 3lb on mackrel/squid

[​IMG]

5. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Defo looks like a 'spot' to me Chris, rare as rocking horse droppings around here, nice one!

T

6. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/spottedray.html
    spotted ray

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/blonderay.html

blonde ray which as you can see is what yours is

7. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Take another look Ringer, the spots on a Blonde Ray go all the way to the wing tip, they don't on a Spot. Caught a fair few of the latter and still think Macky's is a Spotted imho, having looked closely at both your links. The intensity of the colouration can vary alot so can't be trusted as a guide. Honestly think you have about as much chance of catching a Coelacanth as a Blonde Ray from the shore down here!

T

ps - is the honeymoon over yet? ;D

8. Phil A

Phil A New Member

It's definitely a spotted ray I've caught quite a few in Wales some of which had no spots apart from a ring of them round the ocellus. That's the spot in the middle of each wing.

Blondes are caught regularly from the shores of the English Channel and in parts of Wales I'm not sure about Scotland. According to Alwynne Wheeler's book "The Fishes of the British Isles and North West Europe" blondes and spotties are caught in similar areas so a blonde might just make it here.

I'm expecting someone to hit into a stingray. They've showed up just across the way in Lincolnshire.

Crab and rag are the main baits but the one below I got fishing for bass with live sandeel from an Atlantic Storm Beach.

[​IMG]

9. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Thanks for the conformation Phil, certainly very envious of your ‘lucky’ Stinger too! Looks a fair old lump too (30lb+?) judging by the size of that hump? Had heard about the Lincs Stingers and really hope they do show up here as well, as with the weather forecast to get steamy down south, the lure of St Osyth is pulling again but it is a really grotty drive.

Macky’s is the only ‘Spot’ I’ve ever heard of from the shore here and while I’d love to think a Blonde would turn up too, I find it very unlikely. They do turn up very occasionally from the shore in the West Country and IoW but the only mark I know of that consistently produces from the shore is in South Wales near the Nash Sands. Their preferred habitat really appears to be shallow offshore sandbanks with strong tide races, like Nash and the Skerries bank, where they hunt sandeels and such like. Generally regarded as mostly a species for the boat angler.

I’ve had a few Spots from the IoW, mostly at range on Ammo frozen sandeels, although my best, just short of 5lb took a whole squid intended for bass at surprisingly short range. Here’s one of them but can’t remember the weight?

[​IMG]
    Hope you can see, that where the wings feather out towards the tail and become almost translucent, there are no spots just like Macky’s

The other one we don’t seem to get up here is the Painted or Small-Eyed Ray. Quite a drab looking species, I believe the name Painted comes from the fine white lines that are a feature of their markings. Here’s a small one, again from the IoW, on frozen Sandeel at range.

[​IMG]
    These tend to be more common than thornies along the English Channel and in the Southwest. I don’t think they exploit exactly the same niches as Thornbacks though? They seem to like flat sands, with clear water and are not adverse to a bit of surf either, again it seems they hunt sandeels.

I must point out though, that Skatey Malone refuses to believe there actually are any other species of Skate/Rays than his beloved Roker! ;D

T

10. Phil A

Phil A New Member

T,
    the stinger in the picture is only 5 or 6lb but I had a 35lb stinger in North Wales in June 1995. That one was on ragworm on a No 2 Kamasan. I may have caught a blonde many years ago in Cornwall I was fishing with this lad and we had a blonde and a small-eyed between us but I can't remember who had what. Blondes get caught in North Wales from the North side of the Lleyn peninsula and Anglesey.There's also an odd cuckoo ray caught there. I've had a few small-eyed in Ireland to 7lb 12oz. I never managed an undulate from Fenit pier but they turn up most years. There's a odd common skate and monkfish every now and then from Fenit Pier.
    Tralee Bay is the place for stingers in June they've been caught to 70lb from the shore. The stinger in the picture was in Brandon bay next to Tralee bay.

Phil

11. prof tench

prof tench Guest

Cheers Phil,

Now I've had another look at your Stinger again and clocked the size of your lead, I can see it was nothing like as big as I first thought. (Think I might have confused the lead with my 'Battery Point Special' at first, the old 'Crystals' don't half twist your head up on the 'come down'! :eek:).

The IoW is a great place for Rays of all species too, it was the Paints we first went there for, but I think the bigger one's were pretty much fished out. We had a couple of goes for the Stingers at 'Burnt Wood' (long walk!) on the Solent side but conditions were never quite right for them when we were there. Don't hear so much about Stingers from the Solent these days but there are some small ones about now, so may bounce back in time.? There seems to be an Undulate or two caught each Spring there now, usually from Chale (brilliant fishing at tmies).

From the sound of it, Ireland may be the best place to really target my Stinger, so I may have to get over there. Did you ever fish Peter Collins fav' Bass beach, St Finans' Phil? The big strands have always looked a bit bleak to a 'cliff-hugger' like me but that place looked spot on?

Thanks again, T