1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puffins Dieing On The Yorkshire Coast - Starvation Or Oil To Blaim ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:surprise:

Has anyone found any dead birds, was there any oil on them or do you think they starved to death ?

http://yorkshirecoastnature.co.uk/blog/119/puffin-wreck-update

2. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Re: Puffins Dieing On The Yorkshire Coast - Starvation To Blaim ?

That's not good Glenn lets hope it stops sooner rather than later.

3. tunstalldt

tunstalldt New Member

i had a walk from tunstall to withernsea sunday on clifftops found 3 dead puffins in field no shelter from them east winds all buds on trees bushes etc burntoff

4. Davie l

Davie l Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Puffins Dieing On The Yorkshire Coast - Starvation To Blaim ?

There right up the east coast too, been numerous comorants puffins etc dead on every beach between peterhead and berwick. Very sad but they reckon these easterlies have been a struggle for the birds to find food.

Must be a few round the whole coast :-(.

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was down hawsker last week for a walk,there must of been a dozen dead birds,mainly puffins and razorbills and there was a lot of cuttlefish bones covererd in oil and still quite a lot of blobs of oil scattered about.

6. baza

baza New Member

3 on seaton beach hartlepool yesterday. looked to me like starvation. very sad.

7. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    I've spent a bit of time up at the caravan lately and I've seen hundreds, (no exageration....at least 100), washed up on Bamburgh beach. I was talking to a couple of wardens that were picking up the seabird bodies and they were blaming the harsh weather.

http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/03/27/hundreds-of-puffins-die-uk-coast-winter-weather/

Regards Ian

8. jerzy

jerzy New Member

found 2 pufffins dead on saltburn beach last friday while out with the metal detector looking for fishing weights, you could,nt tell what they died off.

9. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

skinningrove beach littered with them. Counted around 20 just in a hundred yard area. Mainly puffins but also fulmars, guillimots and razorbilks

10. Biker Jake

Biker Jake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

seen a dead one today on saltburn beach, well what was left of it!

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I am sure its a lack of food issue , I was talking to one of the litter pickers at saltburn and he said he had picked up about 30 dead puffins, a very sad story as they are lovelly birds

12. WetLine

WetLine Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I took a walk north of Hornsea last week I found 6 dead puffins & 2 Guillemots none of which were oiled.
    On the bright side I saw some of the fattest Oystercatchers I've ever seen obviously feasting on the washed out food.
    They starved, very sad but that's nature. Circle of Life http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_King

13. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was up at Bempton on Friday, with Mrs Melly, looking for the first Puffins of the season..... I managed to spot one in its little hole on the cliff, there were only two spotted that day as far as I know.

I was speaking to the RSPB Naturalists ( birdologists ) who said that they had collected over 200 dead Puffins between there and Whitby, each one was undernourished and thin, the opinion was that the harsh onshore wind conditions and heavy seas had made it difficult if not impossible for the Puffins to feed..... as Birds, they are actually more suited to swimming than flying, and the heavy conditions had made it impossible for them to catch their food.

I mentioned the oil pollution , but he thought it had had little effect on the numbers of birds,and the oiled up dead birds had probably collected the Oil in there feathers post mortem, when washing around in the sea.

Very sad, but on the brighter side the RSPB bod said that perhaps this was nature thinning out the less able of the Puffin colony, in effect the weather was sorting out the strongest of the breeds and making the future stock stronger and more able.

Time will tell I suppose.

Roger.