1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prized Halibut - What Would You Do ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Mick Gibson, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Evening all,

Was just reading this article about a 222lb halibut, the angler took an hour to reel in, as the fish was so large he jumped in the water for some photographs taken with his catch and then released it.

Now imagine yourselves off Whitby and you were lucky enough to hook into such a prized fish, what would you do ?

Full article and video

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3108137/Swim-fishes-Angler-hooks-mammoth-7ft-halibut-jumps-water-photo-s-big-boat.html

Attached Files:

2. wilky

wilky Blenny

Probably wake up and be gutted

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

Good question!!

I've always released the Porbeagle shark I've caught off Whitby. There again, its illegal to land them, not that I would even think about it.....

A 30 - 50lb halibut, yes, I would be very tempted to take (Say one a year). If I caught a caught an exceptionally big one for this area, say, 75lb+ 'butt' I don't think I would have a problem putting it back, as long as I had a photo to remember the occasion by. A good photo is really special to look back on.

Anything between 50lb and 75lb would cause me a dilemma. Not a problem I've had to address yet, so I'll consult further should the very unlikely event ever arise!!

Don't hold your breath. I think it may be many years before that dilemma presents itself!!

4. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Thats a beast of a halibut makes the 50lb ones look rather small to me it woud be such a shame to kill a fish of that size how old is it could be anything upto a 100 years old a fish of that size i know the british record cod of 58lb caught with stuart johnson on sea trek which came of a peice of ground was 40 years old you can measure its age by the small bones on the back of its head apparantly.

paul.

5. Mick Gibson

You still use that laughing gas in your practice Wilky :)

6. Mick Gibson

Sounds like you might be one to jump in the water Rupert :) ......... You just never know when you face that dilemma, I note there have been no reports of halibut caught so far this year. As the lottery man says ........... It could be you :)

7. Mick Gibson

Just been reading a further article Paul, it says that halibut and other fish age can be determined by removing the otoliths, these show rings which are similar to those on found on trees and each ring determines a year. Apparently they also make jewellery out of the otoliths........... Never know could be a good excuse for me to tell mrs I'm going to try and get her some nice jewellery :) :)

8. craigrob

craigrob Blenny

I would'nt kill a magnificent fish like that unless it had "£5000 festival fish" written on its belly... ;) ;)