1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing & Cooking Pouting?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Paul (Acko), Feb 18, 2007.

1. Paul (Acko)

Paul (Acko) Guest

I caught a Pouting yesterday Its about 2lbs Ive heard they make good eating So I want to try it. Im planning on making supper out of it tonight. I dont know what is the best way to cook it? Should I fillet it?
    Any suggestions anyone? Ive been told they are a boney fish? Is there a way to prepare it so as not to get too many bones in the fish as that puts me right off a piece of fish? Bones Yuk.

2. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i caught a two pounder in my club months ago, nocked two spottless fillets off it, and it was fookin gorgeous, no bones, nowt. seasoned flour, frying pan, home made chips, flourecent batchelors mushy peas..... BON APETITE ;D

3. Acko

Acko Rockling

Ah cheers mate Ill just fillet it then. Theres hell on in our house cos Im cooking Cods Roes at the moment I think they smell lovely but No one else seems too LOL
    Ill do the pout for my supper Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for the reply Lobbers nice one.

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ahh now your talking, cods roe is my fish and chips at the moment mate, well buttered bread, thick helping of boiled roe, generous slap of tartare sauce.... ce magnifique :p

5. Acko

Acko Rockling

I must say Lobbers you were dead right about the Pouting It was delicious. I just filleted it like any other fish and fried it.
    I served it on some nice crusty bread and butter. I always eat fish like that if im trying it first time to get a good idea of the flavour. I recon its as good as cod. Different flavour slightly sweet and also more salty than cod, But very nice.
    I have been told lots of times its boney but I didnt find it at all boney? I will be keeping more of them in the future thats for sure.
    I just finished my Cod Roes today I had them sliced cold in Sandwiches Almost as nice as warm ones on a bit of toast.
    Gonna try get the boat out again this week Just bought a new 3 blade prop today other was only 2 bladed. I took it off for half an hour it doesnt half dig in the water now. Seems a bit quicker too?
    Ill post a report how I get on. Think it will be uptiding on the Anchor again hopefully Tmorra or Wed.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You east Cleveland boys will eat owt.

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ow dont be painting us all with the same brush glen ;D lol.. the dirty baxxards ,hahahaha, cod flippin roe , yuk, second world war food aint it ,much prefare a nice swetty kebab or parmo me self ,,, each to there own i supose...... ;D ;D

8. Baramundi Bob

lol Parmo. Have you seen the tin tin vid in the non fishing chat section ?

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Seen the post but never actually watched it G , just had a quick look for oit and cant seem to see it .. i will have a good search after work ....

10. Paul (Acko)

Paul (Acko) Guest

Took boat out again this afternoon 2 more pouting for the pot and 2 codling. No roe in these ones tho. Might have a blast out in the morning See whats doing?
    It was a lovely day today sea was lovely and flat. Didnt see any Whiting today that surprised me.
    Saw some porpoises and a ruddy great seal was hanging about us all day.

11. Phil A

Phil A New Member

The pouting I've caught off the beach have been fine but the ones I've caught when boat fishing tasted awful. I always assumed it was due to diet.

12. Paul (Acko)

Paul (Acko) Guest

Thats strange? I caught them close to shore only 500 to 1000 yards off so maybe they same as shore caught ones. I found eating eels that ones caught in the sea/estuaries taste ok but If you catch em up river they taste like s**t lol

13. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

as glenn says.you cleveland boys will eat anything :p

14. Paul (Acko)

Paul (Acko) Guest

I will try owt once I bought a tin of cod roes once and believe it or not they were the male roes. I couldnt believe it when I opened them I tried one spat it out and binned them lol So I wont eat quite anything. Well not spaff anyway LOL

15. Baramundi Bob

Do they still do lapwing omlette up your way Tim, and fried herring gull eggs ?

16. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

not heard of the lapwing omlette but i know a few people that have eaten gulls eggs.one lad even killed a gull and cooked it on a camp fire.he said it tasted like salty chicken but he didn't eat much

17. Baramundi Bob

Roast Seagull - cant be any worse than Bernard mathews Turkys

18. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

they're bootiful