1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PORBEAGLE SHARK FISHING AT WHITBY - 3 sharks and one missed big halibut

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by cassshantia, Jul 21, 2009.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

and a couple of rigs like this...

[​IMG]

2. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

What pound line is that ken? looks like washing line :surprise: massive hook too

you mean buisness :cool:

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

A few more pics off Rupert:

John packhorse Farrow loading up ready for the day's fishing

[​IMG]

Rich Ward's nice 40lb Porbeagle shark (nicely done Rich)

[​IMG]

4. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

cracking report and the pictures are fantastic....well done rupert you certainly have this shark fishing off to a tee.....
    hope your luck keeps going

5. reality

reality Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

brill reading and nice pics

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Yes a cracking report and pictures... :yes: :yes:

You extreme kayak boys will have to hire the boat load the kayaks onboard and go off to the shark grounds and get in the yaks and fish for them.... :cool: :cool: wonder who will be the first forum member to land a porgie from a yak... :surprise: :surprise:

I am sure Ken would be up for it.... :happy:

8. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

whats the news on the 'missed big halibut' rupert ??

9. Dorado

Dorado New Member

I had already thought of that when I saw this - 4 of us are off to Cornwall this weekend to try for a shark. Ken, Lozz, Richi and myself.

A trip from Whitby would be ideal....hint.

I am also interested in hearing about th emissed halibut......follow to the surface?/ Or shook the hook out?

10. rupert

rupert Blenny

The missed halibut was nothing to do with us :no:

I gather it was another charter boat out the same day as us (Monday 20th July) and they got a big halibut to the top but couldn't get the gaff in to it to bring it aboard. After a number of failed attempts to gaff, the fish broke free apparently. That's as much as I know.

John Wilcox who was crewing on Monday with me told me about a 10lb halibut he caught a few days earlier. He was fishing a shad and had wound it half way up to the surface when he had a savage 'take' followed by quite a tussle. This turned out to be a halibut foul hooked in the tail!! I would never have imagined foul hooking anything on a shad - a pirk yes, but a single hooked shad - That's some luck!

11. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

there seems to be a very interesting story unfolding halibut wise..looks like only a matter of time before a 'biggie' is successfully boated!

12. rupert

rupert Blenny

Here are some vids of the trip.

This was the first hook up of the day - typical porgy fight; lose some line, win some back again.

Whitby Shark 1

This was the second of the day and taken over from "Mystic Girl" John after we had a double take. You can see the American Snap float which snaps shut when the line tightens, then slides along the line, floating on the surface. Unfortunately it got taffled up, so John Wilcox unclipped it for me. The shark took it's first dive when it neared the boat.

Whitby Shark 2 - 20th July 2009

More of the same shark - had to take my fleece off as I was getting hot!!

Whitby Shark 2(a)

Finally, skipper Rich with the 'pup'. Is it still on Rupe??? Doh!

Whitby Shark 2(a)

13. rupert

rupert Blenny

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

It was suppose to be a secret Simon, just in case something went disastrously wrong and one of us lost a limb or something, if one sinks it teeth into the Dorado I will have a tantrum :cheesy:

Fantastic videos Rupert, all of your posts have really spurred us on. Talk to you in morning....

Ken