1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pollocks Here, Pollacks There, Pollacks Every £@%^&* Where !!!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Today we opted for new kayaking ground. We had long talked about hitting the area around Whitby highlights and down into Hawsker for pollack. Whilst Dan, Damo and Mike decided to climb down at Saltwick I took the easy option and went from Whitby harbour.

As I paddled out of the east pier I was instantly into coalies, then as I paddled to the bell bouy it was pollack. Only small but the couple of 3 pounders I got certainly gave a good fight on th light spinning rod. When I got to Saltwik the lads had long gone but I could see them further down the coast about a mile away.

En route to the lads I had a couple more pollack upto the 6lb mark. I was catching them roughly every 20 yards as I paddled down the coast. Im now convinced that pollack are completely widespread across the whole of the Yorkshire coast. The bloody things are everywhere.

I eventually found the lads working a piece of rough ground close to shore. Each of them had good pollack. Dan and Damo had them upto 8 pounds, and golden balls Marshall had gone one better and got a fish of over 9lb. We fished on and all took more pollack, Im guessing I had rougly 30 for the days fishing. My best filled the footwell of the yak and as I had no scales I estimated it to be around the 8lb mark which was the weight of the last pollack that filled the footwell. Not wanting to kill the fish I quickly returned it and watched it swim ever so gracefully back to the depths below.

Not long before we set off back Mike hooked into a huge fish. Several times it nearly had him off the yak. Eventually the fish came alongside the yak. It was clearly a double figure pollack. Then would you believe what happened. The hook of one of the trebles got stook in mikes waders. The fish splashed twice and spat the other treble. Within seconds it was gone. Mike said he felt the fish was as big as the 9 pounder. Now I saw the fish and Im saying it was a double of low to mid teens. It was a beast

Anyway, we all had another great day afloat on the wondrfull Yorkshire coast, and in the words of the great Ramrod, why put a book down when youve only read half of it. We will certainly be back for more, and hopefully this time we can recapture the big fish Mike lostand get it weighed. Today was awesome, with another part of our amazing coastline uncovered.

All the fish fell to a variety of luresMy fish as always were on my beloved Yozuri crystal minnow red head. Mike used the same whilst Damo had an x-rap in mackerel pattern and Dan used a variety of Yo zuri's.

Dont you just love fishing on this coast, there cant be many places to beat it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done lads sounds like yous had a cracking day

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Yep you most definately sum the Yorkshire Coast there Glenn, I don't think our bit of sea can be beaten enywhere in the uk for the shear quality and variety of fishing on offer in an amazingly beautiful environment. Bad luck on the big fish but what great sport you lads had :cheesy: . It will only be a matter of time before there are more pictures of double figure pollock on top of kayaks to match Garys big fish of last week.

Ken

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Some cracking pollack there, I,m still intrigued why we don't seem to get the ammount you lads get with lures :suspious: bemmo and flam especially. Geat pics, especially the one of mike, dan being younger is going for the cool look :cool: Once those biggies get one of the hooks fastened up into something they can just rip the purchase hook right out, just like spawneys bass, if it,s going to go wrong it's usually when you have a good one :wounded:

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Real nice report that Glenn, good to see you are having some very good sport there. Really loving my Pollock fishing at the moment and no doubt I'll be out tomorrow somewhere, wonder where to go now :whistle:
    Real shame Mike lost that big fish, must be gutted :sad: :sad:

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Do you get many fish taking you into the kelp while plug fishing? I must admit I do like fishing firetails with 6oz of lead while trolling along slowly, is there a reason you don't go this route? :happy:

Ken

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I used to Ken. Last year lost £50 worth in 2 days. I just tighten the drag right up and hang on for dear life.

8. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Lads awesome fishing glenn i take my hat off to you great report and pictures as usual i dont know mike but he dosent look to upset at loosing the biggie its there for the next time so until then tightlines Alain

9. mike33

mike33 New Member

Well I think Glenn has said it all the Yorkshire Coast is certainly producing the goods this season "some stonking Pollock" What a day we had...........a few extra pictures

Ready to launch..........we took the easy way down :cheesy: :scared:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My biggest fish at 9 1/2lb
    [​IMG]

one of Dans 8lbders
    [​IMG]

Damo's biggest fish
    [​IMG]

Even though I lost the biggest fish I got to hook and play a truly worthy opponent the fight was orsum when it dived the reel was in the water it was pulling that hard, it did that three or four times........it put up one hell of a scrap :yes:

One of the best days so far I'm sure theres more to come :yes: :yes:

Mike

10. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Fantastic report guys.......................

11. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Excellent reports and pictures guys.Those fish are absolute crackers well done.
    Aren't you supposed to sit in the yaks at the top of that slope and just go for it . . . .

12. bunny78

bunny78 New Member

Nice one lads very envious, looks like you had a cracking day nothing better than a scap off a decent pollock in my eyes.
    Hope there is some left for me and Dave.

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

brilliant stuff lads :yes:

14. newdave

newdave Guest

so i my nice quiet day nearly got interupted by you lot, I was as far up as north hawsker, had pollock all the way from the north cheek, & put a couple of really good marks in the memory bank, before i went codding. must be a population exsplosion.

what was it like getting the yaks back up Saltwick ?,

15. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

well done lads, who needs scotland for the pollack when you can have fish like that over her.

16. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great report lads well done

17. newdave

newdave Guest

I was using plug yesterday, simply because i was on more of a paddle trip than seriously fishing & you can paddle faster with a plug than a jelly rig. Catch rates are roughly equal but the problem i have with using plugs is that the trebles are pretty indesciminate, I dont keep my pollock so i would rather return them in good condition & I had severel hooked in or around the eyes etc, something that never happens with the worms. one was hooked so badly that i couldnt remove the hook without destroying its eye, so i knocked it on the head & fillleted it for my dad who actually likes the stuff. on reflection it would probably have prefered to be a one eyed pollock than a dead one :whistle:

18. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Yes got to agree, you goy some lovely fish lads, well done , it,s a pity we do not have a lot of shore marks with a good depth of water, there are one or two that i am going to have a look at next summer, :wink:

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: Good point Dave.

Excellent pics Mike and well done on the 9.5lber, not sure if I fancy that Saltwick get down with the yaks. The walk back up must of been interesting!

20. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking report and fish lads well done.