1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pollock On A Crystal Minnow - Kayak fishing tonight

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I know its a bit naughty but I launched on my own tonight - It was just too good an opportunity to miss and my usual fishing buddy had other things to do this evening. I had been mentioning to Mike for a few weeks about an underwater reef I had been wanting to try for bass. Usually the reef creates quite a swell even on calm nights so its difficult to get too close without fear of being tipped out the yak, but tonight it looked nice, maybe due to the depth of water on the bigger tides, so I had a go. I cast in my favourite lure of the moment, a yo zuri crystal minnow and set off trolling. I passed all the areas on the way that I felt might be good for a bass but the rod never twitched. After about 20 minutes of paddling I was over the reef but again the rod never moved. Feeling rather disappointed I decided to set up for a bit of jigging and just as I came to a halt the spinning rod arched over and the ratchet was screeming as a nice fish started to strip line off the reel. Quickly I reached behind me and pulled the rod out of the holder and the tip was slamming into the water. Way hay, a bass to match Daves best Spawney attempts I though to myself. I could see my name in lights on the hall of fame, the fish was going ballistic. After a bout 5 minutes of gaining line then watching it being stripped from the reel again the fish just seemed to give up. Somethings not right I thought, has it come off ???. But the rod was still bent double. The fish had lost its fight. Then it surfaced, I was instantly disappointed to come face to face with a rather large pollock, admittedly a very nice fish but just not what I was after. After several attempts to gill the fish and lift it out of the water I had it in the yak and it filled the seating area. As I have no use for pollock I resisted the urge to bang it on the head so I could weigh it later and I watched the fish return to the depths below. I estimate this fish to have been somewhere around 7-9 pounds and it certainly went well on the spinning rod. It was a beauty and under any other circumstances I would have been over the moon with the fish, but it just wasn't the monster bass I wanted.

After several more fruitless drifts over the reef I switched to the jigging gear. Instantly I was into a nice red cod which turned out to weigh 4 pounds 2 ounces. Then I had several more before I hooked into a cracker only to loose it half way up. Around 8 ish I decided to head for home so cast out the yo zuri again and started paddling. No sooner had I set off than the spinning rod was off again and another fish was stripping line off the reel. After A brief fight I boated a nice schoolie that weighed 2 pounds dead. Several more passes over the area resulted in nothing so I headed for home.

All in all it wasnt a bad night and I ended up bringing home 3 cod and a nice bass having returned a big pollock and several mop sized codlings. Another thing I noted whilst out there was an abundance of small fish about 6 inch long leaping out of the water. Im not quite sure what they were but they were pure silver. I think they would either be small herring or maybe schoolies. Has anyone else seen these things leaping about off our coastline ?

I have a couple of pics I took on the self timer, I will post them when I have 5 minutes to upload them.

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: Kayak fishing tonight

Sounds like a good night Glenn. I'm still to catch a bass, you will have to give me some tips :wink:

me and sambo had a few hours out tonight, i managed to get a nice cod of 6lb 1 oz and another 2lb 12oz on baited hokki's, plus a couple of mackie on a trolled jointed thunderstick.

Sam didnt fare too well, just one pouting and a coalie I think

forgot to say - that's an awesome pollock Glenn, I would have been well chuffed with that!

3. Baramundi Bob

Looks like you are turning the tables on Sambo. Well done that's a nice codling Matty.

Spawney Daves your man for bass fishing info. The only thing I can tell you is switch your emphasis from cod to bass, so when you go out be prepared to put the majority of your time into plugging and just keep trying. You will have a lot of time when you get ziltch, hours of bassing for nothing can be demoralising but when you get one it will be worth it :happy: Time is the answer and once you find one bass you can be almost certain there is more in the same place.

4. newdave

newdave Guest

Dont forget Quint, the grand master Glenn, hes just dormant at the moment but he wont be letting his apprentice upstage him for much longer, its strange when you target a species then get pissed off because you catch a really nice fish by accident, if you had been pollock fishing a Bass might have been seen as failure :laugh: :laugh:

well done anyway, i can see my top spot is under severe pressure :yes:

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Wow, now thats a damn good pollock, funny I was thinking of pollock this morning, hoping to get out this afty and try some little jiggers I dear friend of mine has just sent me through the post :wink: . But back to the point what a fish Glenn, I bet it gave you one heck of a scrap.

Hey and dont feel guilty about going out alone, you have your radio so you not alone. Your becoming quite accomplished at this yakking game mate, I enjoy my own company sometimes, i find you can focus on what you want to do more . . . .and there isn't someone else paddling around you mopping up all the big bass :whistle: :cheesy:

6. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Well done Glenn, you did a damn sight better than me last night! I decided it was only fair to let Matty catch the Cod last night whilst I focused on the Pouting :embarrass: Spent more time last night paddling than actual fishing, didn't take long to drift 800yrds I can tell ya :ugly:

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Well done viking raider from the north :cheesy: sounds like you,re getting into the swing of yakking now. I wasn,t convinced you were enjoying it when I sew you on your maiden voyage. I would have been well chuffed with that pollock biggest I,ve managed is about 4lb :embarrass: On another night it might be different and you might get the big Bass you,re after. Yakking,s still in it,s infancy and there,s lots of marks that are unaccesible from the shore a lot of the time and unaccesible by boats at low water too. A lot of marks are dropped on by knowledge or luck, either way the only way to suss them is to fish them. It would be nice if say in 5yrs (3yrs if we get decent summers :whistle: ) time we could go out and target a particular fish with confidence.

8. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Thats a cracking fish glenn and a quality sesh, I reckon that over the coming autumn months one of you guys are gunna land a very special bass, you certainly deserve it with all the effort!!!!

9. Baramundi Bob

Had another go tonight but the weather spoilt it really. It was nice when we left and I got a nice red fish first drop which weighed 4 pounds 2 ounces but sadly that was it for me. Mike was the man with the pollock tonight as he had 2 with the biggest about 5 pounds which again took the yozuri red head crystal minnow. Both dived for the kelp and took some getting out and the second the 5 pounder bust Mikes rod which he was non too happy about.

After about 30 mins of fishing the westerly breeze picked right up and a northerly swell also grew in the water so that was the evening bolloxed by about 6.30. Hopefully there will be other better nights before the season is over.

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

The pollock certainly seem to be showing at the moment Glenn, Sam had a good one this evening.

11. Baramundi Bob

Sorry, just uploaded the pic today.

[​IMG]

12. Baramundi Bob

Seems such a long time ago now Ray. That Day was bloody hard work. A strong sw wind made it difficult to get about and I was quite scarred of falling in.

Now it feels like second nature. I just need to watch myself a bit as I do get a bit too complacent at times and Ive injured myself a couple of times on the rocks and I dont want to come unstuck out on the yak as I dont think yyou get any second chances out there..

13. GJW

GJW Rockling

Great stuff Glenn, well done.... :yes: a nice mixed bag and a nice Pollack returned to fight another day..

Now i am back home i intend getting some more bass plugging done, got a few more spots i need to try before the colder weather sets in..

14. Baramundi Bob

Hi Garry,

We have uncovered a couple more bass spots in your absence :surprise: :cheesy: :cheesy:

One place in particular is quite remarkable. The few bas we have had have all come from exactly the same spot. When I say the same spot I dont mean the same mark but the exact same place give or take 10 yards. Its quite odd as you can tell when your going to get the take by marking yourself against the cliff. I guess they must be hiding behind something and coming out as the lure passes above, and they have all been at the same point in the tide. They dont seem to be there at other times :whatever:

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Do you not have a fish finder glen , sounds very much as if it is a reef or summat .....infact gary had a pollock on a plug yesterday from a local mark whilst going for bass. :yes:

16. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Were they in deepish water Glenn? Might have a go from the shore later in some deeper water and see what happens. Nearly all my shore caught bass have been in the shallows up to now. Will let you know how I get on.

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Have yers tried trolling them rapala slivers , they are supose to be a very good lure from a boat trolling in deep water ....

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

You know it makes sense to rove the rocks ray....... :happy:

19. robq

robq Rockling

I had a couple of my fish on a blue sliver Dav :yes:

As you say great for deeper water say 18ft plus, I found that in anything less than 12-14ft it would snag up occasionally

At that depth I found the x-rap caught more fish

When the bass are feeding on sandeels and sile do you think that the bass are hugging the bottom and hitting them from below or are they up in midwater chasing them ??

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

Not 100 % sure on that one rob , but i do know in my experiences bass hit baitfish from underneath ., i have a couple of slivers me self but havent fished anywere deep enough to try them as yet . have you tried the x rap 12`s and 14`s` maybe them might be worth a try from the yak .....