1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pollack On The Fly.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Pony, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Pony

Pony Yorkshire karma. It s called come uppence

Gonna give it ago later on this year. Got me 9 weight pike fly rod loaded with a level Rio T14 head nail knotted to 5 meters of 40lb Amnesia to make it behave a bit better during casting. This is connected to 200 meters of gel spun backing. I've given it a go getting down to skulking river crocs.(Is it just me or have they been spending their time on the bottom anywhere else as well ? Each one I've landed this winter has had at least half a dozen leeches) 45 yard + casts with this setup without trying.
    Anyone else chucks fluff at the salt on here?

2. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not me no, but have seen a couple of guys fly fishing in south bay of scarborough last summer. i assumed they were after pollak, however close to the area i saw them there are long sea trout " i think " nets which run from west pier towards lighthouse, so maybe after them too ?
    I have heard it's becoming more popular... in the past years whilst bass plugging in south bay area i have seen fish jumping up and slapping back down - i assume they are sea trout ?

3. Pony

Pony Yorkshire karma. It s called come uppence

was looking at having a go at sea trout too. Thanks for the info @faraday , appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

What are the rules for targeting Sea Trout out of fresh water?

Do you still need a Salmon & Migratory Trout licence or do these rules not apply in the sea?

I have been led to believe that as long as you fish a certain distance away from river estuaries where the Sea Trout migrate, then it is ok to fish without a licence (However I don't know what this distance allegedly is.) But don't take my word on this info as it was a while ago that I heard it and I can't remember where I heard it from either. So it may not be reliable info.

It's not worth the risk without being properly aware of the laws on this.

Can anyone who knows more about this topic clarify the law on fishing for Sea Trout in the Sea?

5. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fishing for Sea Trout and the Law
    In the UK anglers need a licence if they are targeting sea trout, even if they are fishing a saltwater mark many miles away from freshwater. Contrary to what many people believe it is the species being targeted that is the deciding factor for whether or not a licence is needed, not the location which is being fished. Anyone caught fishing for sea trout (or in possession of freshly caught sea trout) by an Environment Agency enforcement officer risks a fine of up to £2500 and possible further prosecution. It is also illegal to sell sea trout that have been caught on a rod and line without the proper authorisation. Any sea trout caught inadvertently by a sea angler targeting other saltwater species must be returned to the sea as soon as possible in order to stay on the right side of the law.

Sea Trout | Britishseafishing.co.uk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Sound info there mate - thanks for that - it clears up long standing question that has been asked on this forum many times before.
    I've seen posts on here in the past with catches of sea trout for around Whitby area.
    When i've asked about rules about licences and legalities for sea trout fishing, all goes quiet and everyone clams up.