1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pollack Fishing At Ravenscar (11lb 8oz Pollock) Pics 'n' All

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Gray, Aug 21, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Gray

Gray Whitby Fishing Forum

So, as the old saying goes, third time lucky, Me and Glenn decided one more crack at getting a double figure pollock over a mark that we knew held them. The previous two times we had been defeated by monsters and only managed 5 - 6lbers, which are not bad by anyone's standards but not the holy grail of 10lb plus.

It was agreed to meet at said location behind the Iron curtain at 8am sharp and as usual I could not sleep with anticipation lol. Up at 5 and on the road for 6am we arrived at the destination at 8 for 9 hours of yakkin.

We got ready and launched quickly with some prior knowledge of where to go and what to do. The tide was big but the sea was flat unlike the last two times where it had been lumpy bumpy, this time was luxury.

As we rounded to headland and deployed our lures BANG, straight away pollock of a decent stamp where rising from the kelp and smashing our lures, get in! They were even taking stationary lures off the surface. Glenn had a massive take that went head first into the kelp and was lost forever, b******s. We had great sport for a few hours then stopped for a bite to eat.

Lunch downed we got back on it and almost straight away I was into a good fish, head banging and swimming straight for bottom, my kayak being spun around 180 degrees against the tide. Some might think it a snag but my rod was banging like a call girls head board and just like Glenn earlier it got me into the kelp, gutted again.

We were beginning to think that it was going to be one of those days where we could only tell tails of the one that got away. However, not deterred we fished on.

Trying an area that we hadn't before and this proved to be decisive, it didn't have much kelp on the ground and appeared to be quite featureless but within 5 minutes I was screaming like a school girl. Big fish on! This thing was taking line like a gud'un. It dived about 15 times before I got it to the yak, it certainly put the Snowbee Raptor and Vengeance lure rod to the test. When I got it to the yak we could see it only had one barb from a treble in its mouth so it could of easy pulled. Grabbing it under the gills and I hauled it aboard The Death Star.

We stared in wonder at the size of its head. Worrying that it would get out of my tank well, Glenn offered to put it into the Dorado 2 fish hatch of no return for safe keeping and for weighing later as the scales where in the car. Mission accomplished!

We fished on for a few more hours with plenty more fish coming in, Glenn landing a beauty that was threatening to take my crown.

Got back to the landing, gutted the smaller fish, and dragged the heavy yaks back up the little hill of death. Although the climb seemed a little easier this time as we knew the scales of justice were waiting in the boot of the car.

At the car we were both excited about weighing the fish but Glenn said we should weight the smaller ones first to get some idea of what monster would be. 1st fish 3.5lb gutted, 2nd fish 6.5lb gutted, 3rd fish and my PB 8lb un gutted, 4th fish and My PB 11lb 8oz un gutted.

Two big pollock lost today and one yakked, they are there so go and get them, but be prepared to work hard for them. Gongrats to Glenn On this PB. We'll have to do it again sometime mate. Oh yeh, I forgot, we're off again tomorrow!!!!

Here's a few tiddles we caught to warm up before the big event. We decided to throw anything under 60cm back. There were a lot of lucky fish yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the main event. 11lb 8oz caught on a very very cheap ?3 plug:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Re: The Beast from the East (11lb 8oz Pollock) Pics 'n' All

quality report and pics, what a great session you had wll done on landing the the monster.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Absolute quality fish, well done. Dont forget to enter it in our fish of the month comp.

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Well done Gray, a cracking fish, do enjoy, an amazing venue with lots of possibilities, as Glenn says enter it into the 'fish of the month' competition. :happy:

5. andym

andym Rockling

Superb fish well done

6. Baramundi Bob

Its a bit of the coastline Ive rarely botherd with but know Spawney Dave has had good fish down there. Initially looking at the pics I was trying to work out where it was. Does look very much like a place we visited in Skye called Staffin.

7. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Come on Glenn....you must be pullin our legs :wink: Only missing giveaway in the first pic are the seals that you video'd a while back. :wink:

8. Baramundi Bob

lol, would you believe Ive hardly ever been there, kayaked it a few times but never shore fished at all. Its a piece of coast I know little about. Mostly I go to the north cheek and up over into south hawsker on the yak.

9. GJW

GJW Rockling

Well done Gray. Might be worth a trip down with with the shore rods. Haven't fished down there for a couple of years now..

10. congerball

congerball Blenny

That's a beast!! Well done on getting a double figure Pollock, lovely fish.

11. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Lovely fish Gray an absolute belter ,well done .

12. Baramundi Bob

Just out of curiosity, what time of day did you catch that fish ?? Many people tell me that you dont catch a lot of pollack in the middle of the day and that big pollack only come out on an evening.

I dont fully subscribe to that idea by the way.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A cracking report and one hell of a Pollack , a big well done

14. Gray

Caught it at mid day Bob. To be honest we fished there 3 times in a week, all between 8am and 7pm. The only time they stopped biting was at slack water, and even then they didn't go completely quite.

15. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

fantastic fish but equally fantastic photos ,what camera was you useing please , excelling fishing too

16. Gray

It's a GoPro Hero 3 Black edition, it shoots stills and video at the same time. I set it to take a still every 10 seconds.

17. stiffmeister2

stiffmeister2 Hooked On Bass

What a belting fish :yes: I would give anything to catch a big Pollack like that and I bet it fought like you were hooked up to sea otter 2 the way they fight? Great pictures and finally the fishing reports are stating to come back on the site I was thinking everyone had put the summer gear away when im thinking its just about to start with the late winter but you prove with that fish that they are there and I want one :sad: only problem no kayak I might get the kids blow up dingey out lol Not!!! Well done again on a great session.

18. Baramundi Bob

Ive always felt they feed all day but Ive heard a lot of people say they dont. Theres fishing like this right down our coast, weve had some hellish sessions over the past few years. This is one of the biggest Ive seen, but I did see Mike 33 get one about 14 - 16lb right to the side of the yak only to loose it when the trble caught in his drysuit as he went to lift it from the water.

19. Gray

Aaaah that's harsh, I'd have cried like a baby for a month. The fishing has been pretty good this summer, had a good cod and loads of pollock at Flamboro yesterday, all the pollock went back, I'm all pollocked out now.

20. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Well done on the impressive haul. That biggun looks a real monster. Great report and fantastic pics.