1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pollack And Sea Trout From The Kayak, A great day afloat 24/08/2012

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by andym, Aug 25, 2012.

1. andym

andym Rockling

Yesterday I had a session on a new mark and met up with Sam a fellow yak fisherman the tactics today were to be lure fishing both hard and soft the action started almost Immediately with a couple of stonking Coalies around the 2lb mark and one going just a touch over at 2lb 2oz a new PB

[​IMG]

The next take saw line peeling from the reel and the fish on the end doing a good impression of a Sailfish tail walking and thrashing around on the surface but soon the culprit was at the side of the yak a fine Sea Trout of around 3lb another PB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after that excitement I thought I would head over to where Sam was getting into some nice Pollock and was rewarded with a small specimen on the plug

[​IMG]

After quite a few more on the plugs I had some success on the soft plastics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By this time it was time for a leg stretch and a bite to eat so we headed to an exposed rock and discovered we were not alone but had the company of some Common seals that weren’t as shy as I had thought so I took the opportunity to get in the water and take some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We headed back out but the wind had picked up a little but the fish were there in numbers and trolling plugs was the most effective way of fishing now with the swell increasing and the hits were coming thick and fast with countless Pollock up to around 4 1/2lb another PB for me being brought aboard but as time was pressing we decided to switch to shallow divers and head in which accounted for a few more belting takes and several more 4lb+ Pollock in shallower water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the troll back to shore was cut short by Sams Yak developing quite a bad leak but a bit of teamwork a bilge pump and calm clear heads made the situation do able and we were soon both safe back ashore after yet another great trip one to remember

[​IMG]

2. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Re: A great day afloat 24/08/2012

Awsome mate, loving the sea trout, dug my lures out today put a box together for my next sessions. Quality pics and read

3. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Looks like a great day,it just shows there really is no need to travel far for some quality sport fishing.

Respect on putting the sea trout back.

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well done chaps Good day out for you there thats a beautiful sea trout would make my day to get one of them

5. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Class, just class!!

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done Andy, just wait till you hook a big pollack, youll never leave them alone after that. Great sewa trout by the way, and great pics. Superb !!

7. andym

andym Rockling

Cheers Glenn funny you should say that as I lost a good fish which kelped me couldn't do much about it with my 14lb braid lol certainly good sport

8. jase

jase Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

top notch day again m8, as if sams yak sprung a leak :scare: would of been well up $hit steet if he was out on his tod.

9. Baramundi Bob

I hate it when the kelp you. Im not sure what happens but its almost impossible to get pollack off the bottom if you allow them to get there. Ive pulled many bass out the kelp with ease, but Pollack are a different entity. I think they either go under ledges or they must hit the kelp and weave in and out along the bottom making it impossible for you to get them out. Once lost £60 worth of plugs in one morning. Very frustrating, but for me there aint a fish in the sea to match a pollack in shallow water on light gear.

10. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice report Andy. Was a very nice day, good to see everyone enjoying good sport from the Pollock. Up until this year I've never had a problem getting Pollock out of the kelp Glenn but this year the big ones have been doing me over. Unstoppable steam trains some of them!

A few more photos for you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Met forum member 'Drifter84' (I think that's his forum name anyway, nice chap), showed him some of my Pollock marks, didn't take him long to be landing plenty of them!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. rupert

rupert Blenny

I've had quite a laugh this week with a long standing mate of mine (Nick) who lives far from the sea in sleepy Herefordshire catching new species for him.

Monday we went Hornsea and had 23 tope to the boat - a first for him.

Tuesday Bridlington and we had 7 bass and some pollack - he'd had bass before, but not pollock.

Wednesday we stayed at home.

Thursday we launched from Whitby and had more pollack on trolled lures and also over ground on shads. No cod that day, but of all species they excite me least! We then blitzed the mackerel and now both chest freezers are full of chum and the biggest ones set aside for scottish skate for Spring 2013.

Going back to the pollock, Nick first take was off Flamborough Head using live launce under a float. The fish, his first pollack, completey kelped him on his spinning rod and everything was locked solid. The wind was against tide so we wern't going anywhere fast, so I put my rod down, donned a glove and pulled directly at the braid. I could feel the strands giving, then up popped a pollack of 2lb.

To say Nick was embaressed in not being able to handle a 2lb pollack was an understatement. I kept ribbing him all week!!

Great Fishing and post by the way Andy! We saw quite a few sea trout leaping on Thursday and reduced our lure size a bit, but to no avail. I'd love to latch on to a migratory in the sea!

12. Baramundi Bob

13. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Once again Andy cracking report and great pictures keep them coming. All the years I have been fishing I have never caught a Pollack still time though fingers crossed.

Tightlines chris

14. Howard

Howard Blenny

Chris if your going to get some pollock then this might be the year. We have never known so many of them especially on land rock even in mucky water. They readily take shad just wind them higher than you would with codling (start @ bottom though for the cod!) Like was said earlier they go like steamtrains you know its a pollock on striaght away. Had a box of box-enders one day. It might be an answer to your fuel useage M8.

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done Lad,s quality that is , love the seal pic andy,
    and what a fine sea trout ,

16. Baramundi Bob

Its knee deep with them. they are everywhere. Find 20-30 ft of water, close to shore and with Kelp. Fish just under the surface. Jellyworms are good for casting. Or for trolling there is nothing better than a yo-zori crystal minnow red head. Pollack will take lures on or just under the surface in water upto ft deep.

17. Baramundi Bob

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Some cracking fish there andy . :yes: looked like you had a great session there .

19. Drifter1984

Drifter1984 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Well i caught all mine trolling my lead head jelly worm they wouldnt leave it alone when i was priesting one the worm was over edge of kayak and big pollock came up and took it :canadian:.. Sam werent to pleased i think soon as he showed me where they were lol i was pulling them out like nothing..
    When i got home bigget that day was 8.5lb thanks to Sam i know where to fish my local now.. :cheesy: