1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poacher’s tackle seized and destroyed by court- Tees Barrage

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Oct 11, 2011.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

This week i have been watching the Seal family down at the Teesbarrage they are haveing a great time feeding on the Autumn Run of salmon and Sea-Trout.
    I have also been watching shags and cormerants and gulls feeding on young flatfish.
    Never seen any illeagal fishermen though, maybe they have found easier pickings where big brother is not watching them.
    I dont know how these poached fish get sold in this area when the public can buy wild sea-trout and salmon on marketday for less than the price of cod or haddock all year round.
    I shut a poacher up when i told him he was stealing my fish. I had to explain that i payed for an E/A to fish in England for migratory fish and i told him i pay anually to fish on the Wear and the Tees for migratory fish. Dont know if it sunk in what i told him but he soon fxxxed off talking to me .
    I honestly cant understand why they blatently do it down at the Barrage.Ialso dont understand why shoplifters steal when they know the cameras are watching.

2. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Poaching on the Big Double Hander seemed to come into fashion when their was around 20 people walking up and down the Tees Barrage section.
    I had seen fish dragged up the banks on the double hander and the line must have been very heavy because these fish were 15-20 pound in my opinion.
    I dont know if these anglers were poachers but they certainly were not very sporting.
    The E/A have definatly chased away a lot of these people.
    The seals though are haveing a field day in the loch . Someone said they are harbour seals.
    One fellow told me the seal leapt over the gate on the main river like a hurdler and snatched a large salmon then slipped back into the tidal water.
    Great viewing for the public but not exactly helping the Tees and its tributeries recover.
    Millions of pounds have been spent down at that Teesbarrage and it has to be learnt that putting gates across any river with migratory fish in it has got to be looked into by the E/A
    more thouraghly

3. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Slightly Hypocritical that buddy, Would you do the same to the licence payers ? After all they are interupting the right to pass unharmed.

I have read this thread with more and more and interest. Firstly I do not condone poaching in any way shape or form, wether it be one for the pot or 100 to sell to the local hotel resturaunt. And yes I am guilty of ALL forms of poaching in a former life and no I am not proud of it.
    Secondly I firmly beleive "Wild Migratory Fish" and fishing should be accessible to all instead of the privelidged few who can afford the massive fees that are paid to fish certain waterways. I know there is a colosall amount of money spent on ensuring the upkeep of the rivers for the benefit of returning fish, and the money has to come from somewhere. However, making perhaps the less "fishy" beats available to the public on affordable tickets would help increase revenue.
    Thirdly I firmly beleive with the low price of "Farmed" salmon available the lucrative poaching market is long gone, and before anyone says there is a difference in taste, yes I agree 100%,but, how many people go to a resuruant and order plain salmon without any sauce or flavourings included in the cooking method ?, now tell me you can taste the difference.
    Fourthly, I agree this is a fishing forum firstly and foremost, but, it is also a discussion forum and this particular discussion is very interesting in my opinion.
    Lastly, I have had my disagreements with Skunkhead myself so without been a hypocrite I cannot say he is always right, What I can say is he is a very very well informed person on all aspects of river craft and fish not just fishing. He is also very forthcoming with information to help people in many ways. Therefore to call him an "Idiot" is totally unjustified and the poster should perhaps himself "THINK VERY HARD ABOUT WHAT HE IS POSTING"

4. robin hood

robin hood New Member

AND YOU ARE ????????????????????????????????

5. foo

AND YOU ARE ????????????????????????????????
    [/quote]

Why the aggression feller ?

After all to answer your question simply for all you know I could well be your worst nightmare.

Think about it and take a chill pill or at least keep it friendly and polite like everyone else attempts to.

6. ian v

ian v Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im not criticising legitimate anglers,what im saying is if only legal techniques were used at the barrage how many fish would be caught?EVERY fish ive seen caught down there has been snatched by lads who brag they have no licence!Wheres the argument?

7. foo

No argument from me Ian mate just dont see why tidal stretches, which below the barrage will always be,seem to be the sole domain of the "Rich". And I was merely pointing out, maybe slightly tongue in cheek, that even legitimate anglers interrupt the migratory passage after all the hurdles and persecution the fish face. Sorry if I caused you any offence I did not mean to was merely adding to the discussion.

8. ian v

ian v Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

None taken mate, discussion is what the forum is all about.Perhaps i shouldnt have name called,apologies for that.

9. bucko

bucko New Member

The way this thread has gone really doesn't sit comfortably with me.

We have legal anglers being made to back down after expressing their anger at people breaking the laws that they adhere to and virtually a 'how to guide' on snatching and how to get round the law (and thats after members have voiced their concerns about the continued glorification of poaching).

My stance is that those caught poaching deserve whatever the court throws at them and I hope that the EA continue to make even more prosecutions to those that threaten the future of fishing for all of us- and I will never back down and certainly never go back on that statement.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I phoned the E/A in 2002.
    I wanted to fish for the salmon that i saw jumping downstream from the Teesbarrage.
    I was told that i could fish for free ,from the concrete bollards down to the Teesmouth.
    All anybody needs to fish that tidal water for a salmon or sea-trout is a E/A game licence.
    You certainly dont have to be rich, i had two casts with my double hander and 2 inch waddington and i was joined by a big bull seal who was ripping a 20+ salmon to pieces.
    I stopped fishing sat down with my new friend Sammy the Seal then went home.
    Since that day in 2002 i have tryed to make people aware of the slaughter that is happening to yours and mine fish if you buy the E/A licence.
    If your a poacher or illegal fisherman i dont suppose you really care that fish killed below the impassable Teesbarrage are the returning fish that want to breed in the headwaters .This year we have now seen the slaughter of spring and now autumn migratory fish below the barrage.Its so sad that with 5 million pounds spent on stage two of the slalom course
    we are simply loseing fish.
    I

11. foo

I think this one has now run its course Ian as it is turning into a different topic altogether ( Seal predation again) and I agree with your stance by the way, I just do not see poaching as such a threat as it was 15 or 20 years ago, although it is of course a threat to fish stocks no matter how small.

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I would think most of the tackle used by these people caught fishing illeagly would not fetch much money at a car boot sale.
    These people need longer bans. Fines are pointless because they just pay what they can on the never ,never.
    The thing is its the same faces that you see doing it ,you also hear them bragging about it in pubs and on the banks of the river they boast to any tom dick and harry.
    Its best left to the baliffs because its not worth getting attacked or your property damaged these days.
    The Teesbarrage debate is going to continue for many years simply because whoever built the bloody thing didnt have Tees Migratory fish in any of his plans.

13. foo

A lot of common sense spoken there by skunkhead again.
    Cards on the table time, I knew the vast majority of the "names" that poached the esk in the years gone by, and beleive me there was quite a few of them, I was known by another nickname then myself. There is still the occasional fish taken but not in the great numbers that were once taken simply because there is no easy outlet and the money returns compared to effort put in are no longer viable, not because the bailliffs are better or the fines are greater it is simply not worth the effort these days, there will always be an outlet of sorts of course but not to the top restaruants etc that used to buy salmon and trout by the £00's and sometimes £000's worth. Work it out, at £2/lb for Salmon and £1.50/lb for trout (average rate in the 90's) it didnt take a lot of fish to make a couple of hundred quid.
    I will restate the fact I do not condone poaching in any way shape or form these days but simply cannot allow totally unjustifiable name calling to go unchallenged, there is no need for it and after all every one of us has broken or at least bent the law in the past in some form or another, unless of course you are Big Tony Mowbray who is officially the new messiah and totally blameless and can do no wrong.
    And by the way Lochbois just what was the pupose of the Tees Barrage to start with ? I am pretty positive it was not built for the sole purpose of the migratory fish but more along the lines of pollution prevention upstream etc.
    Time to move on mefinks.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

Come on Skunkhead- there's no backtracking on this.
    Members voiced their ANGER at poachers and were told by others that they were out of order.
    Its a crazy situation for an ANGLING forum.

And you say "why post about the subject in the first place"?
    Well maybe because its reassuring that the EA are doing their job in the way we would hope for.
    As people not being able to take info on 'How to poach' from this thread- read back through it and its easy to find out what set up they need, what time of year and how to do it.

The underlying issue that gets me is the evident sympathy for poachers and the fact that if (for instance) I call someone who gaffs on the redds a 'shatbag' then I am likely to get an earful from those with colourful pasts.

If as you say its in the past then let it live in the past- talk about the legal angling you do (and not just you).

Its easy to see that the constant topics that end up detailing poaching and those about the Tees Barrage are holding back the TRUE anglers reports and even discouraging people from posting.

And as for this post 'Generating a bit of interest' - its like car crash television and people are just looking in for a ghoulish peek at the carnage.

Its ruining this part of the forum and I make no apologies for saying that.

15. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i think we have all aired our opinion good & bad best if we move on i think & find another interesting thought provokeing topic :laugh:

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

How about sex?

17. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Bucko, as far as I'm concerned it's probably best to lock this thread as it's just a waste of space on this section of the forum. Sad when threads like this get to 3 pages but decent catch reports barely get a comment.

I was a bit surprised that when this thread was on it's first page that 50%+ of the replies didn't seem to have a problem with poaching, it's a fishing forum ffs! Not Poachers R Us :angry:

18. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hey my reputations gone from 6 to 4 .thats it im off :laugh:

19. bucko

bucko New Member

You really need to re-read what I wrote Skunkhead.
    "Reports from the barrage"???????- mentioned nowhere in that post.

As for your reference to racist jokes- you find me one in the FRESHWATER FISHING section and I'll give you this weeks wage packet.

I'll sum up it all in a nutshell- posts about the following subjects are ruining this section of the forum:
    1) Poaching and detail about it.
    2) The Tees Barrage, seals and 'Daily Slaughter'

If you want me to start quoting text from you and others I can happily do so.
    I would rather not- but this section is getting ridiculous at the moment.

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I keep getting told dont believe everything you read in the Evening Gazette about fishing reports in the North -East.
    Well i read about this fellow in my Evening Gazette and i also bet thousands of other Evening Gazette readers did.
    I was going to put the story on the Whitby Sea Anglers Forum myself but thankfully i didnt after all the flack its caused.

I was asked why i had stopped writeing to the gazette by a non angler on monday i told him that i was waiting for some positive news from the scientists .
    He said that he was enjoying takeing his grandchildren to the Teesbarrage to watch the seals eating the fish and the anglers fishing alongside the seals while on holiday.
    I said the fish are trapped below the gates makeing it easy for poaching and an easy catch for the seals,he laughed and said thats life.He probably is right.