1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poacher’s tackle seized and destroyed by court- Tees Barrage

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bucko, Oct 11, 2011.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

From the EA's news releases:

A Teesside man had his rod and line seized yesterday as punishment for poaching salmon.

Teesside Crown Court also gave Thomas Cunningham (43) of Lane House Road, Thornaby, a two-year conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £2,000 costs to the Environment Agency, which brought the case.
    Cunningham pleaded guilty to five charges of poaching and not guilty to two further charges, which were left to lie on file.

Alec Burns, prosecuting for the Environment Agency, told the court that in August 2010 the fisheries enforcement team received intelligence that Cunningham was poaching fish from the River Tees near the Tees Barrage at Stockton.
    On three different days during September the officers filmed Cunningham stroke-hauling, where a multiple-hook is tied on to a line, cast into the water and dragged back in the hope of hooking a fish in its body.
    In August 2011 officers again received intelligence that Cunningham was poaching fish. They videoed him stroke-hauling on two days that month and on 11 August arrested him. He was taken to Middlesbrough Police Station to be interviewed and, having been shown the evidence, admitted the allegations put to him.

In mitigation, Cunningham claimed he is now in employment and said that he will not poach fish again.
    Speaking after the case, Kevin Summerson, fisheries enforcement team leader for the Environment Agency said: “Although we are seeing record numbers of salmon and sea trout returning to our rivers, poaching is still a danger to fish stocks.
    “Our dedicated team uses a variety of tactics to catch and bring to justice people who see these fish as easy pickings.”

2. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good news why do we law abideing people pay to fish club waters then pay the EA FOR A LICENSE abide by the rules then have to watch these scum poach & usually get away scot free well done i say . :yes:

3. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I reckon the seals take hundreds more fish than any poacher can,
    Well now they should put the £2000 cost's towrds a decent fish ladder, :yes:

4. bucko

bucko New Member

Getting down to brass tacks- the bloke poached salmon in a busy area where the EA know exactly what intelligence to gather in order to get a successful prosecution. There's no grey areas about it- the camera never lies.
    I think bringing the anglers of Scaling and Lockwood into a comparison with him is unfair though.

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

As a 'genuine angler' I'm very pleased to see a poacher caught and prosecuted, hope they catch more at it :yes:

6. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

calling the lad scum is a bit harsh

7. peter catchpole

true lads i was a bit off the mark calling the fella scum & im not afraid to say so ,times are hard admitttedly & ive done my share of poaching (as im sure we all have ) but ive cleaned up my act these days i pay my dues & to be honest why should i give my hard earned cash to the EA then see folk abuseing the laws ,like skunkhead says dont do it blatantly do it discreetly if at all ..pete

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Ha HA i reckon i know who you meen, :wink:

9. bucko

bucko New Member

And despite sympathy towards poachers from some camps on here- I'm sure that opinion is one shared by the bulk of legal anglers that use this angling forum.

10. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Bit hypocritical that post
    would you of classed yourself as scum when you were poaching then mate

11. bucko

bucko New Member

Come on lads- don't go singling Peter out here.
    He's allowed his opinion as much as anyone else- and if poachers have pished him off then he is completely within his rights as a legal angler to vent his spleen without being picked to pieces.
    Time to move on I reckon- it was only an EA report!!!!!!!!!!

12. bucko

bucko New Member

As I said SH- lets move on- this discussion can only lead to disagreements on here.
    So, if you don't mind lets say thread CLOSED.
    Shame- as it was only an EA report of relevance to the area.

13. robin hood

robin hood New Member

Totally agree with you.These people are SCUM and i dont mind saying it. I am a member of a small angling club and we have a massive problem with SCUMBAG poachers who unfortunately for our club just clean our river out as soon as we have stocked it.We have no support from the police and trying to get a EA prosecution is is like trying to get blood from a stone. So i will call these theiving SCUMBAGS whatever i want because they do whatever they want,

14. peter catchpole

its difficult isnt it , a friend of mine poaches a lake regularly im a ex keeper so obviously i dont like poachers ,but i have done it in my early years & regret my mistakes although i learned as lot ,you name it i have done it as i dare say most on this forum has done a bit ,then i matured & realised its wrong ,yet my friend is greedy not like me who took a couple for the pot i never sold my game ever ,i either ate it or gave it away yet my friend insists on takeing all he can to sell in the pub i do not like it but what do you do ?? ive tried to mentor him but greed rules .sometimes i feel like shopping him but that cant happen ,, there are poachers who are countrymen then there are downright greedy individuals who never learn ?

15. robin hood

robin hood New Member

Personally i would report him.I fish on a small river and we stock the river in late march with brown trout and within a few weeks we have the problem with these individuals taking our fish.And i am not exaggerating by saying by mid july our stockfish have about been poached out.But to add insult to injury we have no support from the police or EA whatsoever.
    One example is this year we were doing our weekly workparty on the river when we saw two poachers so we ammediately rang the police to report this and they told us that they would send the nearest officer to us.An hour passed and still no response so we called again and half an hour later we finally had an officer on the river who took the two lads names and sent them on their way.Since this i have been in constant contact with our club secretery who is constantly contacting our local police station to see whether any charges were made.
    Everytime he calles he is told that someone will give him a call back etc etc so basically we are getting nowhere fast
    As for the EA i called their hotline and explained how bad the situation had got on our river and was told someone would call me the following day to arrange a visit to the river and guess what im still waiting for that phonecall and this was about 12 months ago now.So this is why i get a little pi**ed off when idiots think its not ok to comment on these people SCUMBAGS

16. bucko

bucko New Member

Time for a reality check methinks:

This is an angling forum- not a poaching forum.

To come onto a forum for LEGITIMATE ANGLERS while displaying poaching tendencies/sympathies and not expect heated replies is ridiculous.
    To quote another angler "Would a self confessed burglar be welcomed on a fine art forum"?

And Skunkhead- we keep hearing you questioning the integrity of others. Please leave it out- you have no reason to doubt that 'law abiding citizens/legal anglers' are nothing but that and certainly no reason to keep mentioning it on this forum.

Anyone who wants to voice their displeasure at poaching problems is more than welcome to do so in this section without fear of an online lynch mob.

17. rupert

rupert Blenny

I'm 100% with Ian, in that this is a forum to read about and discuss the positives of angling, not the negatives of poaching. Sadly poaching does take place, but it really frustrates me when I read about anyone that tries to glorify it, or even attempt to justify it.

Anyone who does poach with a view to financial gain, getting a kick out of breaking and evading the law, or any other excuse, should keep it to themselves. If they really have to share views on this subject with people who share their mindset, I would far rather they discussed it somewhere other than here.

To my mind, the whole skill in angling is persuading the fish to be a 'willing' participant in the sport, by fooling or tempting it, into opening its mouth and taking the bait, spinner or fly. I enjoy reading about how people have achieved angling success with coarse, game and sea fish, particularly when it has been against narrow odds too. The other positive about angling legitimately is that most times, the captor has the option of whether to keep, or return those fish too.

When fish are poached as 'unwilling' participants and are snagged, netted, dazzled, speared, electro fished, or whatever, then this crosses the line in my eye. The poacher doesn't worry about damaging breeding stocks for one minute. I don't care how much fieldcraft or skill is deployed with these techniques, it just doesn’t justify killing of either a small or massive number of fish in such an undignified way. I think the older I get, the more it goes against the grain too. Perhaps this is because with age, we become better anglers and realise that it is a far more satisfying achievement, to catch fish through fair means, rather than foul.

When the fishing is hard, I acknowledge that there are those who yield to temptation and use bait or spinner, or take more than their bag limit, when they know they shouldn't. But, if they've paid to fish the water, choose to break the fishery rules, get caught and loose the privilege to fish that water again, then that's their lookout. I don’t condone this for one minute, particularly those who use these methods as a first line of attack and are simply greedy and these are the ones I really hope do get caught and banned. They won’t get any sympathy at all from me, but at least they are angling and not using the poaching methods listed above – and there to me the distinct difference lies.

18. robin hood

robin hood New Member

WHAT A COMPLETE IDIOT GO AWAY AND THINK VERY HARD WHAT YOU ARE POSTING

19. rupert

rupert Blenny

I'm a reformed smoker of 14 years+ The other weekend, I caught my teenage lad having a crafty fag.

What I impressed on him were the health issues, the cost, and how hard a habit it is to break. I hope he took these points on board and that he has had his last fag.

What I did not do, was tell him it was his own daft fault for getting caught.

20. ian v

ian v Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

These fish getting snatched at the barrage have swum thousands of miles,from and back to their native river.They have avoided being predated on at sea,avoided illegal nets and seals,have they not earned the right to pass unharmed back to their spawning grounds?!If the Salmon were to return and spawn in numbers,and looking at the amount milling around on a good tide at the barrage,mainly because of a completely inadequate fish pass,the Tees would become a quality Salmon river.Id hang the clowns by the b*llox!Ive seen fish layed in the bushes,watched them snatched and dragged out,many of them dark,coloured fish.Dont be fooled and be told not many are caught,they are!