1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plenty of mackie down the gare today (but)

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by portlandbill, Jul 2, 2013.

1. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

Just seen that Sports Direct also now sell fishing tackle. What next!

The scrotes will be able to buy (shop lift) their shell suits and cheap fishing gear from the same place.

If they sold White Lightning and roll ups as well then they could corner the inbred scrote market.

LOL.

BP

2. jethro

jethro New Member

Are they all Boro fans too Pauly?? :tease:

3. BigPauly

Either that or Monkey Hangers!

It's them who should be bleeding hung up!

BP

4. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

good info on some shore action.

not cod, but take a carp/ light rod along to sandy point, early morning

& catch yourself a schoolie or two, failing that you will get good sport from these better size

mackerel, also you will get some good pics of the sunrise, wildlife along the dunes (not the

migrating ones passing towards your left!!.

Cloughton ,

spot on there,many years ago one rod out for tangle cod, light rod floating for mackerel

many an other spot produces on spring tides, port (when jetty was still in use)

havnt tried it but below raven hall must produce, many a night you see the gulls

in a feeding frenzy below the golf course, areas like these are worth a go if you want

to enjoy your light tackle fishing.

5. J.R.HARTLEY

J.R.HARTLEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

We used to fish for mackerel over high water at runswick bay on summer evenings in the early: 1980s we used to catch plenty,dont know what it is like now :cheesy: We fished just before the yatch club.

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

still worth a go , i had a load on the yak only 10 yards out at that spot a couple of years ago while trying for sandeel for live bait. they were chasing the eels right up to the beach

7. bucko

bucko New Member

Yep...there seems to be a misconception in the North East that you only get them in deep water.
    I've had them in about 4 foot depth.

8. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

dont agree with a licence for sea fishing and never will.
    i have to get one for fresh water fishing and the enviroment agency do next to nothing for the money,most money goes on salmon and seatrout waters,the guy that said he hasnt had his licence checked for years is right but try going on a game water and see what happens.
    licences were a fiver ,now twenty odd quid ,money for nothing if you ask me,its worth millions to the enviro agency and they dont give a toss about fresh water anglers and what do you think they would do for the money off sea anglers,---- all.
    we all have a right to fish and bringing in a licence will do nothing to stop the mindless morons who think kicking fish to death is good fun ,its all about revenue,goverment reduces enviroment agencys budget so they stick the loss on to anglers in the shape of a tax [sorry licence].
    keep asking for a licence and you will get one and you can be sure recession or not it will go up every year like the freshwater one does.

frank

9. J.R.HARTLEY

J.R.HARTLEY Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The oldies among us including my self :laugh: will remember the days when if you wanted to fish the south gare you had to have a permit i think it used to cost a fiver for the year and there was a bloke used to walk round every day asking to see your permit, if you did not have one he would chace you :laugh: does any one remember them days was the guys name Tony.

10. BigPauly

Now then Frank

You are correct about the licence bailiffs. Indeed they are more likely to show up on game waters.

I've fished nearly all my life from the age of 9 for over 35 years (bloody hell i'm getting old)

I've never once had my licence checked in the 20 years that I was a coarse fisherman, but in the las 15 years as a trout fisherman I have lost count of the number of times i've had it checked.

Usually when a bailiff has checked my licence on a water I can almost guarantee that he books someone.

One particular still water trout fishery in the Yorkshire dales which seems to be popular with eastern europeans and undesirables, I have seen countless people being booked by bailiffs.

And guess what, all of them eastern europeans and undesirables. What does that tell you?

From this I conclude that the bailffs target particular waters where they know that they are likely to catch these kind of people.

The same I would say would go for places like Whitby pier and the Gare if a sea licence was introduced, as these are the places which are frequented by undesirables etc...

Surely if a sea licence was in place and was policed properly then we wouldn't see so much of this kind of problem.

Or maybe a pier licence for a couple of quid a day.

I have to say that places like Whitby pier wouldn't be my first choice purely because of the louts. But if they weren't there then it would be a place where I would take my little boy fishing.

Controversial I know, but a possible solution.

I guess I will now get my head bit off by someone. Bring it on!

BP

11. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

does any one remember them days was the guys name Tony.

only had a permit for a year, supplied by the port authority @ 5£

asked for it one early morning when teaching son how to float fish for mackerel.

it wasn't the port authority bloke,

just a "intrepid" chancer who managed to get 50p from all the "non" permit holders fishing with

their tinsel on the end!!

he managed to make a few quid, fortune favours the brave.

12. portlandbill

portlandbill Blenny

his name was tony and he was employed by tees and hartlepool, his office/cabin was below the radar on the gare.

he also took car reg. no.s when we used to put tyres in, there was a bit of a do once over with the tyres. he died and they never bothered replacing him

13. Davo

Davo Rockling

I've still got one of the Gare day permits somewhere in the house. 50 pence if i remember correctly.

14. Jordy

Jordy New Member

If you ever run for president/prime minister or mayor, you have my vote. :yes: :cheesy:

15. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

been there tonite with fellow an angler now moved to brixham
    good crack on old times but goonies all about catching bucket loads to throw away
    discarded traces abound roill on winter or a freak wave

16. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Can you also tell me when you got your amazing eye upgrades from, which let you know which country someone is from just by looking across a lake? They might come in handy if I ever turn into a racist.

17. BigPauly

Ah yes; my sarcasm detector is bleeping - the lowest form of whit I believe!

For your information I am not racist mate! - just making an observation that is commonly known amongst most freshwater anglers that certain people from certain places are well know for illegally fishing without a licence

and not only that, these people will basically illegally take home anything that they catch in fresh water regardless or species or size.

Which for someone like me who has paid for and held a freshwater licence for nearly 30 years is somewhat annoying to put it mildly.

Your comment is offensive and unprovoked and if you knew me personally then you certainly wouldn't be making open accusations like that.

BP

18. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

...but indeed the highest form of intelligence Pauly!

Looking back it does look a bit insulting, just a bit of banter though. Apologies for that. I am fully aware of the damage this illegal taking of fish does. Having travelled Eastern Europe on various occasions I can confirm that their cuisine is somewhat interesting to say the least. Unfortunately people with little money to spend will go out looking for a free meal, especially if it's easily obtainable, fresh, and normally on the menu back home. Wouldn't catch me eating carp out of a day ticket water though, can't imagine it being all that tasty.

I fully agree with you about how it's out of order to even fish without a license, never mind taking fish for the pot. It's not fair that they should flout the rules which other honest anglers pay. Maybe the license fee should be used to increase the numbers of bailiffs and reduce the number of cases.

I've witnessed foreigners taking tiny fish from the Humber for the table, but also locals, once involving a very interesting tale. This is totally true, no sarcasm or bull$hit. They managed to hook a Cod, which was very surprising to me given that they'd been using tiny scraps of worm on about a size 4 hook. I was lobbing prime baits out and getting Whiting and Flats, so went for a closer look. They'd actually accidentally hooked the eye of a huge treble hook which a poor little codling had jammed in its mouth. It was a 1000000-1 shot. As a result the fish had the head of a 4lber and more or less the body of an eel. I tried to get them to put it back as anorexic would have been describing this fish kindly, to which their reply was...

'Don't think so, we might get another one to go with it'

Tight lines mate

19. BigPauly

Cheers mate - faith in human nature restored!

Interesting story.

A few years ago a good friend of mine used to fly fish on the Selby canal for Pike. He used to regularly catch 20 odd pike in an evening. Every one returned may I add.

Then word got around and the local gang of; lets call them foreign immigrants this time. And in the space of a couple of seasons have virtually wiped out every single Pike and Perch from the canal.

My point is that once the water bailiffs are aware that this sort of thing is happening, then they do show up regularly to check licences, which is against most people beliefs.

The bailiffs are out there but they do concentrate on certain areas where they know that they will catch people who Illegally fish without a licence.

BP