1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Stay Safe Guys

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I guess most of you will now have read about the guy who tragically lost his life at The South Gare. I think this is something we will never completely stop from happening as our sport is a very dangerous one indeed.

The reason for my post is just to say, if your going somewhere for the first time or just aren't sure what certain conditions are going to be like at your mark please just post up and ask.

Most of all, stay safe lads and enjoy your sport without putting your life on the line.

2. nevbob

nevbob Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well said matey!

3. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

anyone no if he used the forum????? heard he was from york. god bless his family

4. parko60

parko60 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The gare should never have closed the steps off onto the river side, doing so means that you have to turning your back to the sea when walking around the gare end to find the slacker sea up the river. Once again very sad to hear.

5. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Be suprised if there's no repercussions on this, eg the gare fenced off.Hope not like but the port authority havnt got much time for us anglers :scared:

6. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

To true, I was in Cloughton today and had myself tucked well up in the high rocks at the side and every now and then a swell would lift from nowhere and still crash well into the sides , thankfully I'd been shown a couple of years ago some very heavy seas in there and where to go when like that, still makes you think though and I d rather be safe than not here.

Every year we seem to see the incidents such a tragedyv :sad:

7. pasjas

pasjas Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i carnt remember lives been lost on the gare before them steel gates where put up i say open up that compound ?????????

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

9. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

i know its very very sad , but i dont know what it is about the south gare, its well signed that its dangerous when rough seas, but certain people are hellbent on going on it nomatter what the sea is like, it seems to kill someone evry two or three years lately,and for the same reason, pure ignorance, im sorry but it needs to be said, pasjas is right , before they fenced off the lighthouse, where you could fish in a storm and be safe, i think the last few fatalities on there have all been very similar, the usual trip down the gare for a few hours fishing, what i cant understand is how they cant see the danger infront of them, massive wavescrashing in, i could go on with all the obvious, but at the end of the day, its totaly accessable in the most deadly conditions, and i think the only way to stop such occurances is to totaly fence the place off, make it impossible to access the end, i know it would upset a lot of anglers, but i cant see any other way.

i think the problem on there is that it is such deep water, so you dont get the continuous surf bashing away, but what you do have is very deep water, so you dont see a roller coming at you, just a massive swell, lifting onto the deck last night it grew to 10 foot of swellso you can imahine the swell rolling over the gare.

the place needs shutting, or policing

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Terrible news .
    I am a survivor of three of these swells and find it hard to come up with any answer.
    Every time i fish Hendon prom i now watch where i think is the worst place where the water comes over the wall. I was caught there and the water pushing you into the sea is frightening.
    Comeing of Middleton Pier one night a wave or swell came over the top and luckly i only got a soaking but the shock and the force was frightening again.
    Another time i was just walking on Saltburn Beach and i was stood on the Manhole that is below the cliffs watching waves and a wave suddenly crashed up and over me giveing me a right soaking . Luckly i kept my footing.
    The sea on all them occasions looked perfect for winter cod fishing and not a windy day at all.

My thoughts are with the anglers family at this terrible time R.I.P.

11. parushy

parushy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i fished on brid nth wall tues pm and the waves were coming over the wall,not a real problem where i was 1/2 way down but one huge wave crahed over the end of the wall and nearly wipped out 4 lads who were fishing there so as the topic says be aware and stay safe,i am sure there will be many more close calls dureing the winter season as the more adventurous amongst you chase the cod,cheers Pete.