1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help Me With Information on Fishing Saltwick Bay

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bow1, Sep 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. bow1

bow1 Rockling

well having missed the sea at weekend being on nights I had to get out last night....

Poor conditions and fishing the ebb made choosing where to go and Sage agreed to accompany me.

Still undecided we hit the road hoping for inspiration and eventually decided to ride to Saltwick somewhere we had been meaning to scout out.. at least if fishing was poor we would learn something..

Found access at the caravan park easily and descended onto beach at slack water to fish in to a heavily colored sea with some movement. probabably not the ideal tide state or conditions but we where there and learning.

Fished at the bottom of steps on the large beach,suspecting that we needed to be further north but sea was up to cliffs.

Anyway my first outing over heavier ground with long rod,braid and fixed spool,with which I was happy led to bites for me first 3 chucks landing two small codling.....nowt for sage.

bites quickly dried up and lost water reapidly so we decide to scout north up to ?creta block but again met with sea to cliffs and in darkness didn't want to push our luck so headed back for a fruitless couple casts into v shallow water before the climb up the steps.....

So a couple fish and a new venue..some knowledge gained so not a wasted night and very enjoyable..

Can you access beach in front of creta further north?
    Flood tide,low water??

any hints lads???

2. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

any hints lads???

try posting in fishing section !

3. bow1

bow1 Rockling

I know sorry glenn please move.....

4. bow1

bow1 Rockling

20150915_191718.jpg

Well having missed the sea at weekend being on nights I had to get out last night....

Poor conditions and fishing the ebb made choosing where to go and Sage agreed to accompany me.

Still undecided we hit the road hoping for inspiration and eventually decided to ride to Saltwick somewhere we had been meaning to scout out.. at least if fishing was poor we would learn something..

Found access at the caravan park easily and descended onto beach at slack water to fish in to a heavily colored sea with some movement. probabably not the ideal tide state or conditions but we where there and learning.

Fished at the bottom of steps on the large beach,suspecting that we needed to be further north but sea was up to cliffs.

Anyway my first outing over heavier ground with long rod,braid and fixed spool,with which I was happy led to bites for me first 3 chucks landing two small codling.....nowt for sage.

bites quickly dried up and lost water reapidly so we decide to scout north up to ?creta block but again met with sea to cliffs and in darkness didn't want to push our luck so headed back for a fruitless couple casts into v shallow water before the climb up the steps.....

So a couple fish and a new venue..some knowledge gained so not a wasted night and very enjoyable..

Can you access beach in front of creta further north?
    Flood tide,low water??

any hints lads???

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2015
  5. bow1

bow1 Rockling

20150915_191641.jpg 20150915_191641.jpg 20150915_184544.jpg 20150915_194110.jpg 20150915_195521.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Well Im told that the sand in the Caves around the east pier has made accessing the scars a bit easier. But essentially Crete Block And Rail Hole are low tide venues. Id Aim to get on the scars (Safely) 90 mins before low and come of 60 mins after low. You can extend that time once you know what your doing and where the cut offs are etc.

The Best tide range is between a 1.8m Ebb and a 1.2m ebb in Whitby book. Anything over 1.8 and your struggling to get on and off as the water stays to the back of the cliffs. Anything under 1.2m and the water just seems to suck out them holes and so does the fish.

7. bow1

bow1 Rockling

So are the options to access marks down path where we did or walk round from east pier?
    Any easily identifiable places to start Glenn?THink i remember someone posting that N or nw swell best?
    Thanks for your reply

8. AlanM

AlanM Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Interesting report that, especially as I was there myself last night! We wouldn't have seen each other cos I didn't arrive til about 10.00pm with the intention of fishing South Batts at low water, the ground beyond the sister which is that lump of rock sticking out of the sea in your 1st photo. In the end though, I didn't venture far, knowing that there are some good marks quite close to the sister itself but you have to keep an eye on the tide here.

As you said, not great conditions but good to be out on a beautiful starlit night. 2hrs without a single bite then taken completely by surprise by one! I remember thinking 'don't get stuck, don't get stuck'. It actually came in nice for me - 1st codling of the season.

Glad you enjoyed your fishing at Saltwick. It's well worth checking this place out in daylight on a low spring tide, that'll show you where all the fishy places are.

Alan

9. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice read buddy n well done on the fish,i fished thornwick bay yes n blanked !!,plenty of rattles n sml bites but didn't connect with anything..Cheers for the great read..

10. bow1

bow1 Rockling

yeah Alan the intention is to have a good look in daylight over low....

11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Whats the walk down to the beach like lads. thinks is easy acsess. want to take dog and wife down in feb

12. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Therez apath in front of entance to caravan site takes you onto beach.stwady climb back up.
    Dont know if theres any other access except from east pier.

13. Glenn Kilpatrick

14. Glenn Kilpatrick

Thats not Glenn.

Also I thought you already asked this question in your post ?? If its ok Ill merge them together.

15. Glenn Kilpatrick

Through the cut in Saltwick Nab about 90 mins before low. But be Careful. Try it in daylight first or find yourself a guide with the local knowledge.