1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plain or grip lead over rough ground - which do you use?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by CAB78, Oct 2, 2013.

1. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just wanted to see what peoples preferences where for using either plain leads or grip leads when fishing over rough ground.

On marks where there are small gulleys, ledges etc its good to get the lead moving around to find these spots where the fish will run, but does it not lead to more snags and losses? i.e. rolling into crevices and getting lodged. Or are you best using the old fashioned spark plug method ;)

Thanks in advance

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I always use plain, but heard of some using grippers over rocky marks (as stops lead falling between rocks).
    Where possible though, I use any old tat - weights I find, etc..
    Heard some use women's tights filled with sand (they rip and sand falls out)!
    ;)

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Those crevices and gullies your worried about rolling into, Thats where the fish hang out, get into them.

Depends on marks and conditions but I use flat, round and grip leads at different times. I like grippers in heavy kelp and on scars in heavy conditions. Sometimes on scars you want to roll into gullies, but other times your fishing when the mark is just fishable. best catches come off some scars where its boundering on unfishable. Youll need a gripper at these times or the sea will spit your lead out.

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Plain for most of my fishing, except scars and big tide distance work the grippers. For scars I cut the wires right down tho to an inch or so long

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

buy yerself a 3/4 drive snap-on cracking bar and big socket go out nicking bus wheel nuts there`s 10 nuts per wheel work great when rock fishing and if the fishing slow you can watch the wheels fall off the bus when it sets off just make sure the bus is facing away from your fishing spot other wise it could be dangerous if the bus starts coming towards you and the wheels fall

just get some round tube and fill with moulton lead you dont need out flash when casting into rock /rough ground chances are your going to loose it

just cast out and dont wind down as that only pulls your weight into the cracks and get stuck

6. CAB78

CAB78 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks again for the advice and I'll look out for some buses ;D

If its fishable and not too rough, do you drop down lighter when using plain rolling leads, say to 4oz to get them moving? Obviously depends on how rough it is, but generally.....

Thanks agin