1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plaice out of water!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by greenways, May 5, 2007.

1. greenways

greenways New Member

Working near the coast yesterday so decided to have a couple of hours on Brid harbour.Anyway had a few usual small Dabs and a nice Plaice about 1lb,which I decided was coming home for tea!About 2 hours later when i was about to pack up I went to tack the fish from its bag to gut it.As I went to pick it up it wriggled and squirmed out of my grip,onto the wall and fell back into the sea,where it promptly swam off! Is this normal behaviour for a Plaice overt 2 hours after being caught and having had 2 or 3 good cracks on the head?

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

They do survive for quite some time as do most flatfish.

3. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

when i worked on the trawlers,sometimes on a sunday night when we first shot the nets over the side following our weekend ashore there were usually a few fish laid on the deck which had been under the gear.if there was any plaice amongst them when we chucked them over the side they usually swam straight away.thats after being out of the water since friday morning so they obviously can live a long time out of water.

4. Acko

Acko Rockling

I put a flatty on a plate in the fridge one night. It was gutted and had been dead for a few hours.
    I got up in the morning and opened the fridge to get some milk for my cuppa and it started bouncing all over the fridge scared the heck out of me. Bloody thing.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

maybe it was just nervous acko mate ;D ;D

6. Acko

Acko Rockling

Nervous? Nervous?
    It was flippin terrified LOL
    Once it saw the soy sauce... poor little fella...

7. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

You said it was gutted, I bet it was ;D

8. Markus V 07

Markus V 07 New Member

That Happend To This Old Fella Down On South Peir The Other Day I Went Down 4 A Couple Of Hours He Giv It A Few Good Knocks On The Head And Put It Away In His Bag , Brought It Back Out About 3-4 Hours Later Put It On The Wall In A Bag And It Flapped Off Back Into The Sea The Fella Nearly Had An Heart Attack ! :p

9. Phil A

Phil A New Member

I've been bitten by all sorts of creatures at various times throughout my life including a hedgehog, a gannet, an anglerfish and a spider which bit me on the backside. The most disconcerting was the head of a flounder No body just a head! Never underestimate the resilience of flat fish!

10. Markus V 07

Markus V 07 New Member

Lmao ;D ;D