1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

plaice from whitby west.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by michael76, Jan 22, 2011.

1. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

Alright people,
    Haven't been out for a while so i thought id give whitby west a bash,as even if i blank i still love being in whitby, anyway bait was frozen blacks,squid and macky,tide was massive couldn,t hardly hold bottom but just about managed,fished from around 2pm till h/t at 5pm,rigs were a clip down pulley for towards the east and a two hook flapper for the sand, then 2 hours into the ebb.no bites till the ebb,only me and our kid on there and someone on the east.anyway after slack tide started getting a few nibbles,caught a rockling on the bottom hook,then just about to pack up at 6pm and had one of them precautious flattie bites,just a little lift of the rod and it was hooked,reeled in and to my surprise my first ever plaice!,it was a keeper but decided to put it back what a lovely fish they are with there orange spots and sad looking face..all in all a lovely days fishing and a first for me(sorry no pics) caught the plaice also on frozen blacks on the sand side.just shows you never know whats out there. :happy:

2. michael76

michael76 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The BestEST

sorry guys dont know what happened there p.c crahed i think,perhaps one of the moderators can remove one. :embarrass:

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Well done mate, there is a lot of plaice in the area but Ive never seen many from the shore here so youve done really well to find 1.

4. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

had a go of the beach towards sandsend during the summer targeting plaice ,got loads of bites and loads of flatties but no plaice, am hopeing to try again this year,
    mr bendit has offered to show me his plaice fishing expertise around filey ,hope its better than mine after cod.

5. Baramundi Bob

6. dw1980

dw1980 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Frank well there another place we can try must say ive never fished for them off whitby but we will tightlines Alain

8. Baramundi Bob

I dont know why they dont go to the shore, but I presume its food related. Theres a lot of species on that bit of ground we fish. A friend of Mikes told us about the mark as he used to fish sole nets there. We use landmarks to get in the right position, but they work everytime, I havent failed yet.

If you remember earlier in the year, the fishing boat Defiant went down off Sandsend. This guy used to fish the stretch from Whitby bell bouy down to sandsend and regularly had every soft ground species you can think of including skate, turbot, halibut, various soles, whitings, haddocks etc.

Never seen plaice in any numbers worth targeting from anywhere on the shore around here. Again they are not far off the end of the west pier, but never close enough to target.

9. dw1980

very interesting is that and a bit annoying :laugh:, i cant say i read the post you mentioned but sounds good, i might have to get myself a yak but im not sure its for me. when are we targeting the plaice then alain on your boat :wink: :wink:.

10. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Chris ill bring the boat over all three of use can have a go wont be before march as i need to save a few bob for the skate trip might make a weekend of it must be a campsite near by tightlines Alain

11. dw1980

sounds good to me alain, plenty of camp sites around that area and probs best after march anyway, i wont be goin daft with the shandys though if we camping cos ive not got the strongest gut when it comes to being at sea :vomit: haha.

12. Baramundi Bob

Im down for some plaice fishing if your going. Late April and into May seem good.

13. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

sounds like ill need a bigger boat April into May time it is then tightlines Alain

14. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

sounds like a bit of interest here ,should have a group session from the forum ,the more the merrier,i,m up for it what ever we do .
    would make a nice weekend willie but a bit cold in march,could do with something a bit warmer after we,d been out for a few beers other than a tent.

15. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

im sure rigsby could put you up at the sandsend hotel for cheap at that time of year