1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plaice Fishing Techniques

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

2. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Never had a plaice!. do you get them around whitby and a what time of year. Do they come from the shore

3. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i remember some fantastic plaice fishing around flamborough yrs ago ,i even got 1 hooked in the back when the jigger hit the bottom ,, theres was some real bin lids there many years ago ,i would imagine sadly they are mainly gone now

4. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have had a couple around bridlington.only one on bait fished all day had plenty of dabs skate and whitings .reeled in and had a big bunch of mussels on my grabs on my weight .rebaited with mussels and caught one streight away .we did a postmortem on it to see what it had been feeding on.it was full of small pea mussels .the others have been caught accidentally on small fish skin sabikis on and around the sand banks where we catch sand eels .

5. BigPauly

BigPauly Tina Turner _ Simply The Best

My mate tells me that there is an area off Brid where there is a large mussel bed where all the flatties tend to be caught.

Somewhere towards flamborough I think.

BP

6. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Here is one our lass caught some years ago off Flamborough, taken on Mussell on a long flowing trace with a load of beads...weighed nearly five pounds..... not seen one like it for quite a few years ..

[​IMG]

Roger

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Siloth to Whitehaven on the west coast is a popular area to catch place from the shore ,
    i have had them to 2lb but bigger ones get caught ,

it is pea mussell and gravel on the bottom where they come from ,
    Easter through to august is usualy best time for them over there :yes:

8. spruce

spruce Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Used to catch them regularly off the boats out of Bridlington back in the early 70's. The marks back then were close to the cliffs near Flamborough head and mussel was THE bait, as previously mentioned. Had them up to 5 lb. but sadly I am unaware of any venue nowadays were you could target them specifically. Just goes to show how over fishing has drastically reduced ALL fish stocks in a relatively short time span.

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

They used to get some big plaice at redcar off the west scar fishing over the mussel beds

10. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

I remember an old miner that lived next door to me when i was kid,it must have been the late 50's early 60's he was a mad keen fisherman who used to organise trip's to bridlington to fish form the cobbles,i remember him bringing home some huge plaice,...and the killer bait?"GARDEN WORM'S" he used to pay us for going over to the local pig farm and collecting them....i know it might sound silly but it's true....mick.

11. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

its true mick ,we used to go out codding from brid then dropped on the mussel beds later ,we had great catches in the old days ,i fished a lot with paul dallos greek fella on yorkshire lass ,he was a real character ,we used to fish the wall in the early months for cod to fish for the boats ,believe it or not ,black lug got more fish than jigs or lures .february/march time

12. Roger Melly

Roger Melly Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I remember Paul Dallos Peter, he could find the fish, but if you had a " tender " disposition you only went out with him once, probably the most foul mouthed person I have ever met, and that is saying something.

:vomit:

Roger

13. driffangler

driffangler Hull City A.F.C "Come on u Tigers"

Yeh i also remember Paul Dallos your right about his language it was certainley colourful, good skipper though had some good days with him, never got among the plaice with him though. Best Plaice fishing i had out of brid was around the early eighties fishing just off the head killer bait as others have said was mussel and yes a dustbin lid size was a good un. Sadly those days long gone like nearly all the charter boat fishing out of brid. :sad: