1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirking - How Best To Catch Fish On Pirks

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by missedanothersodinbite, Feb 6, 2011.

1. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

2. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Totally agree Paul I have had some cracking fish on plain lead pirks of various shapes and sizes.I couldn't understand Wegga's point about lead jiggers been "too heavy" which was why I asked the question.

3. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Ha Ha you after another trip to Norway or something.
    I am a bit out of practise at the moment but can't wait for the Summer.

4. wegga

wegga New Member

Totally agree Paul I have had some cracking fish on plain lead pirks of various shapes and sizes.I couldn't understand Wegga's point about lead jiggers been "too heavy" which was why I asked the question.
    Hello again. The point I was trying to make was that the lead jiggers sold in the Hartlepool local tackle shops, particuarly those sold up there with the step in diameter half way down the jigger are too heavy. They tend to weigh about a pound or more. I agree 12oz seems to be the best weight. Obviously I also agree a 12 oz pure lead pirk is the same as any other 12 oz pirk! The other difference though is in the density of the end product. IE a lead filled chrome tube particularly a home made one is a bigger object than a pure lead weight, therefore it's a maybe 4" longer so I feel it works better as a lure. I'm afraid this is one of the points I can't agree with, (sorry) the end product has to work as a lure. Maybe not when there are loads of cod about but when having to apply some angling surely this is important. I was reading all the threads earlier in the week about new types of shads working better than other very similar ones?? Also going back to an earlier point we don't use plain or dull or black shads do we? The chrome filled jigger has a typical length of about 10 to 12" whereas a pure lead version is shorter, which can lead to more incidents of the bottom hooks catching onto the trace when the jig hits the deck at speed and often during jigging itself. Also the home made chrome jigger has an all in one double looped piece of galvanised wire running through it for the link swivels (as opposed to holes drilled in some lead lures). This again has the effect of increasing the jig length in order to achieve the 12oz optimum weight. The finished object seems to end up having the correct look as a lure and fishes in a tangle free manner.
    If i may say too the only other point I didn't really agree with was that it's better to fish without the added muppet or hokkai above the jigger. I think this is a seperate attractor all togther from the 'pirk' so I think it's important to start off with an added trace lure experimenting before taking it off to avoid nuisance fish. It they are not active the trace lure can pick up plenty of bonus fish. at the bottom of the jig I believe 2 x 7/0 O'shaunessy clean hooks work best for good hook hold.

5. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

I can see your point on the lead pirks now you've explained your reasoning and to be fair I agree they are a bit on the heavy side but just to throw a spanner in the works they are the very same pirk I have had success with fished without jigging them just holding them in the tide (I was given them by a Hartlepool boat owner).

Fishing over Ground
    The light set up I described regularly outfished all other methods last Summer (including shads) it will be interesting to see if it was a fluke or if it works this year.

Pirk casting allows you to use lighter pirks and is far more sporting than pumping 12oz of pirk up and down all day.

Black shads - yes they do work in the boat as do matt black or plain lead pirks so are the fish seeing a silhouette or homing in on the vibrations ? ? ? (same as matt black bass plugs)

Where we both agree is pirk fishing is an underrated method that will take fish but not as I have witnessed many times using Christmas tree rigs and big heavy pirks worked at great effort no avail as the guy working his pirk properly consistently outfishes it.

P.S The Shimano Lucanus type jigs look spot on must try and obtain a few for this Summer and Rupert,Askari still have your favourites in stock mate :wink: :wink:

6. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

personally my favourite patterns are the yellow reef mould fast drop 12 oz and the brisling 8oz or brisling 4oz if tide allows it

7. bucko

bucko New Member

The Fladen 'Baconsillen' did well for me last may- only 185g but it seems to be impossible to find in the UK at present (My dear old Mam got me a tackle set from Boyes and there was one in there).
    The yellow/red was the one for me but the split rings and trebles were awful.
    [​IMG]
    I put a slight bend in it to give it a slight wobble and fished a single black hokkai above it.

Some great info here gents- its already had me sorting through the boat gear and looking forward to Spring and Summer.

8. rupert

rupert Blenny

Cheers Andy - I still have a handful of 10 year old stock left, but may have to bite the bullet this year and pay 4 times what I paid for my last lot!!

By the way have you seen these as an alternative to the Shimano Lucanus? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fishing-Tsunami-Ball-Salt-Water-Jig-150g-Glow-Lure-/110645539930?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item19c2fcf45a

On a similar sort of theme, I plan on giving soft plastics 'creatures' a try of the boat this year. I plan to cast them on fixed spool set up and hop them.
    I've bought some of these- http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/rattle-craw-tube-brown-crawdad-8pcs-jigheads-p-1103.html

When they're mounted on a 70 gram jighead - they look like they might do the biz, but time will tell. I'm hoping 70grams will work OK in 10 - 20m the depths we work inshore.

9. bullfish

bullfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i like the butterfly jigs from shimano with assist hooks the action is great look like injured fish flapping about. they are expenise but can do the business. as for using the colour black i was told (by my dad) it was a big fish colour and seen it take 3 doubles in as many drops when every body else was catching 3 to 4lbers these were muppets not pirks tho. the mackerls dont seem to like black either.

10. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Rupert thanks for that link.I have looked at that jig several times on ebay in the past but when you google Tsunami ball salt water jig you get a totally different looking jig so I have my suspicions about what you might actually get though the feedback seems ok.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--Fishing--Saltwater-Fishing--Saltwater-Hardbaits--Jigs%257C--pc--104793480--c--104765580--sc--104618880--i--103997880--Tsunami-Ball-Jigs--744222.uts.shtml&sa=U&ei=GiNUTfznBo2ShAfkh73JCA&ved=0CBUQFjAC&usg=AFQjCNHxi3l1n4Uz5uYtMlx8f4lEBVwpQQ

This is the nearest I have found apart from fish head type jigs for a mould that may be used to make your own Lucanus type jigs.You could also add something below (perhaps those "craws") to produce an articulated type jig as you mentioned earlier.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Squid-PIRK-LEAD-WEIGHT-MOULD-70-90grams-2-47oz-3-17oz-/140279688147?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item20a9522bd3

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Shad Rap, I've still got a few packs of those Sea Darts from when I bought them in for you. I never got round to using them, thought about using them on the fly rod but never got round to it.

Biscuit, I tried 10" shads a couple of times in 09 & 2010 but with no luck. I do have a few 8" shads to try though, be interesting to know how you get on with them. You are right about hokkis working well early season, 90% of my fish will come to hokkis early on but I don't bother fishing with hokkis from mid June onwards.

12. wegga

wegga New Member

By the way have you seen these as an alternative to the Shimano Lucanus? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fishing-Tsunami-Ball-Salt-Water-Jig-150g-Glow-Lure-/110645539930?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item19c2fcf45a
    For those going abroad before the summer they can get the types of lures featured in the posts by Shadrap and Rupert plus a massive selection of similar ones in tackle shops in Spain and the canaries. In Los Cristianos (Tenerife) near the harbour there is a superb tackle shop with an amazing array like those Rupert and Shadrap mention and at a very reasoanble cost. I bought some last year and they were successful fished on a short line under a lead weight (to keep them on the bottom but more upright than a shad). Make sure you alter the links and hooks though if necessary. They do superb quality hooks and many types of assist hooks too. I use their tuna hooks for bait fishing. Just looking at them tells you the quality in the product. Hope this helps.

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Just ordered some 135g 6" Storm Giant Jigging Shad in mackerel - I'll let you know how I get on!

14. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Theres an old boy who used to go out on a boat from seaham who used to shine his lead pirk up with a knife. Two hooks on a nylon string through the bottom. Dropped over the side and bounced of the bottom. Did the job perfect.
    I bought some from the Friarage in Harlepool and they are commonly known as rippers.