1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pig or big bag??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ducky, Oct 23, 2010.

?

which would want to catch the most??

Poll closed Nov 12, 2010.
  1. pig 10lb+

41 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. big bag of mops

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. smokey

smokey Rockling

Get em scanned and put on here marky,if you can't do it get bill to help you out.. tight lines

2. gleadall474

gleadall474 i want to live by the sea

got to be a pig for me.

3. robq

robq Rockling

I would love to see those old pics Mark :yes:

Ian I remember the 80s stories about Balcary !! I used to buy the mag " sea fishing " which has been long since finished :sad: Ken Robinson used to write some good articles for them :yes: I remember the one about his record well, I spoke to him over the phone not long after that asking his advice about wether to invest my hard earned cash in the century formula 216 sport or the newer long E ZEE sport !!

I was only just leaving school and starting out on my proper sea fishing adventure !! I was catching the last train to filey on the night and getting the 1st one back to Hull in the morning on my days off from my YTS scheme !!

I spent some cold nights on the brigg and often had to retreat to the toilets near cobble landing to warm my toes and fingers on the hand dryer at 3am :surprise:

Happy days :yes:

I wish I had half the enthusiasm these days !!

4. hilsey

hilsey Blenny

pig
    Quality not quantity :wink: :educated:
    although i am just happy for what i can get !!

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

I still have a 216 sport in the garage rob,our lass uses it if i take her fishing.
    A little on the softer side now but still casts like a dream... tight lines

6. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Hell long time since ive seen one of those 216 sport i bought one from linfords about 20years ago

7. robq

robq Rockling

I went for the long Ezee in the end and regretted it !! the 2nd generation rods were nothing like the originals and were a lot more through actioned.

I had a few goes with the 216 sport and loved it !! the extra wraps on the butt made it stand out too :yes: It was a nice fishing backcaster

8. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

WOW...................now that awesome fishing!!! Try to scan the pic if you can.............................

9. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

[​IMG]
    This is Bob's story in his own words as featured in the Evening News February 12th 1970

Fishing from the tip of the Brigg, a rugged natural rock platform which juts a quarter mile out to sea, Bob hooked his fish on the last cast of the day, when an incomming tide was swiftly threatening to cut off his retreat.
    With big fish in mind he had baited a size five hook with ten mussels, and when the bite came the fish surged out to sea towards the distant Bell bouy, Bob reacted instinctively.
    The fish took the bait in a 30 foot deep gully in an area which is a maze of weed tangled rock ledges. Bob decided to let the fish run in the hope that the sinker would snag, and the fish its self would snap the rotten bottom by which the sinker was attached to the 60lb main line.
    "its much easier to play just the fish at the end of the line "Bob explained, "more fish are lost than landed at this spot, but in my case all went according to plan. The fish got rid of the sinker and I was left with the task of bringing it through the weeed and over the ledges. I reckoned i would not stand a chance of landing the fish until the tide was higher, so for 20mins I did not try to bring the fish close. I knew I risked loosing it but it was a chance i had to take. I waited until waves about 2 foot deep were swelling across the scars, then I brought the fish in and manouvered it into a narrow gully which gave it no chance to turn round and head for sea. I dropped my rod, laid flat on the rocks and managed with supreme effort to reach the fish's gills and swing it out. I was nearly exhausted but I had no time to rest because the tide was threatning to cut off my retreat, I gathered fish and tackle together and quickly made my way back to higher ground."

bob was a top local angler , i understand he kept a very interesting diary ,which i think was pasted on to MWW on his death

10. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's a great old photo and a toppa story too :yes:

Thanks for taking the time to scan it and post it Brigg Boy

Regards Ian

11. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Tremendous fish, so Mart has all the old secrets ! No wonder Mr Scaife keeps him close . Surely there must be a picture of Smokeys record coal fish some where , im sure it was on the front page of Sea Angler . Another big fish off the Brigg .