1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pig or big bag??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ducky, Oct 23, 2010.

?

which would want to catch the most??

Poll closed Nov 12, 2010.
  1. pig 10lb+

41 vote(s)
    71.9%
  2. big bag of mops

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Both! at once if possible :nerd: a big bag impressess the masses but a biggy is one for yourself, it goes into the memory bank and stays there.

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

is the first pig as good as the first cod you catch? come on then ray tells us about your first pig

3. robq

robq Rockling

I would say better Ducky :yes:

Due to the stigma and build up to catching a fish that size, It took me over 20 years of serious fishing for cod to crack it !!

I wa shaking like a shi**ing dog for hours and reliving it for weeks :embarrass:

On years like this its relatively easy to build a good bag of mops if you put the work in :yes: getting a pig is a different kettle of fish !!

4. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

oh god rob thats no good i was shaking for a year after my first mop :laugh: a pig may just hart attack then :death: :butt:

5. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    I love any fishing that I do, but my winter shore fishing is special. This month my best bag has only been 6 fish so at the moment I want one of the big bags of fish that are getting caught.
    In my heart though I want to catch a real big double from our North East coast, I have been lucky and had some very good fish, (the best ones from the Solway though), but a real biggie from our coast would be the ticket.
    Regards Ian.

6. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

seen as i haven't had mop this year YET !
    i'd be happy with a undersize cod just to get me on the scoreboard :hurt: :hurt:

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Did you cash in on the Balcary Point haydays Ian?
    I've heard some stories of absolute donkeys coming from there when it used to fish... tight lines

8. glassback

glassback Blenny

defo a nice big pig for me to ,there a great fish to look at when they get to a decent size,
    unless you get a stumpy.

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Without a shadow of a doubt, it would have to be a big pig for me ......

10. Ian Alexander

Hello Smokey,
    compared to some anglers I never "cashed in" but I did have some great sessions and some nice fish........but also a lot of blanks.

I started to fish at Balcary in the mid-eighties when I was about 19 or 20 year old, I was very keen but also very inexperienced and right at the bottom of a steep learning curve. I was an apprentice Millwright and would travel across often just after work, not realy knowing what I was doing often fishing at the wrong times and conditions.

I remember the first successful trip, I had been over for about 4 or 5 trips without success so was a bit downhearted. As I parked my car up at the hotel car park another car pulled in, these lads were from the North West and together we walked up the hill to the flat rock. As I walked down to the Flat Rock, past the cross, I saw another angler pull in a fish about 14lb......I couldn't get tackled up quick enough.
    Anyhow I got 2 fish, one abot 10lb and the other a bit bigger......small fry compared to some of the fish that were caught but I was absolutley buzzing.......I had to stop the car at Brampton on the way home just to have another look at them in the boot!!

I fished it for quite a bit after that with much more success but I never got one over the magic 20lb, my best was just short of it, but I did get a lot of good fish. I saw some very good fish caught, the biggest at almost 30lb again coming from the Flat Rock.

I fished the other side of the bay a few times at Clovend, the Monument and Sugar Loaf marks, but all my better trips were at the Flat Rock and the Point itself.
    For me It was a great experience and I learned a lot. I found that the medium tides were often the best and the ebb tide was the magic time. You often got a lot of fine grass weed collecting on your line on the ebb, but as the tide eased and the weed fell away then the fish would show with several anglers getting into good fish at the same time..... Magic times.

Some of the best catches at the time came to the Whitley Bay anglers like Chris Stringer and Ken Robinson, they had some fantastic fish and many huge bags. Ken Robinsons fish of 40lb plus still holds the Scottish record.

I was talking one day to an old angler from Dalbeatie that told me stories of some huge fish estimated at 50lb taken by local anglers before Balcary became as popular, just stories I know but fantastic to listen to.

Sorry for waffling on lads, regards Ian.

11. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

sounds like fishing heaven ian. we can only dream of times like that now

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

13. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Pig for me everytime, at the moment though I'll settle for anything that is in size!

14. smokey

smokey Rockling

Great stuff Ian :cool:
    I've heard the stories of fish over 30lb in years gone by and by the sounds of it you had a little taster of it :happy:
    I was talking to one of the older filey anglers during the festival this year and he told me a story about a day sometime around 1980 on filey brigg.
    He had just pulled a 14lb er in and thought it was a biggie until a young lad walked past him and said "nice fish but not half as big as the one i just saw caught down brigg end "
    Sure enough,another filey brigg member had one i think he said 30lb+ :surprise:
    2 days later another local lad had a 28lb er on ling rock / binks :surprise: tight lines

15. MFC

MFC Blenny

got a picture of both them fish smokey,Bob Yarker had a 33 pounder down brigg end,John Jenkinson had a 29 pounder off ling rock followed by frankie with a 27 pounder off Bennys,

16. kingsa2

kingsa2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Only ever had one pig, 12 1/2 lb last Christmas, had some good bags, not outstanding but I'm sure the pig will stay in my memory a lot longer . I vote PIG.

17. woody

woody New Member

great read ian do People still fish balcarry? is it a deepwater mark ?

18. Steve

Steve Rockling

very deep. you cast out and when your lead hits the water you dont stop the reel you wait till you feel it hit the bottom.

19. simon22

simon22 Rockling

You lads are probably talkin about shore fishing but i remember last feb goin out with Paul, i got 12 fish between 5 and 9lb plus one fish that was 14lb great day

20. Ian Alexander

Hello Smokey, great stuff mate......I'd love a big cod like that over here......I'm not greedy, about the size of that coalie you caught, that would do me :laugh: :laugh:

Regards Ian.