1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

photo help

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by Maxie, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Maxie

Maxie New Member

i dont really know how to explain this but here goes,can someone give me a few pointers for composing the photo as my camera screen is a bit hard to see what ive took when its sunny,i took some pics on sunday and was happy with some and not with most of them,if i post the pics and say what i think is wrong with them,feel free to give advice or criticism :happy:
    [​IMG]
    this one i was happy with,it would have been better with the trees central.
    [​IMG]
    this i thought had too much going on in it.
    [​IMG]
    same scene but zoomed in a bit,a bit better.
    [​IMG]
    i was happy with this as well but zoomed in on my camera blurs the picture,does that happen to all digitals or just the mid price ones,its a samsung 10mp.would i be better on 7mp setting.
    ps theres a slight blur on them due to a dirty lens.

2. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Nice photos. Well composed and good subject matter. Keep on this track and you'll be OK.

Just a few pointers:

Magnifying the image by zooming or getting close causes blur by camera shake - nothing to do with the number of pixels.
    On the first two it appears as though you have a smudge on the lens.
    Look up the 'rule of thirds' in an art or photographic sense. That will help with composition.
    Ensure that the camera is level so that the horizon doesn't slope.

Well done!

3. Maxie

Maxie New Member

cheers mate thanks for them pointers,ive had a bit of a play about with the camera today different zooms and that.
    another question is i took some pics of a dragonfly the other week and it was a lovely blue,but every shot was a blurred dragonfly but the grass it was on was in focus,i had to take them fairly rapid as it wasnt still for long but i was a bit disappointed with them.ive deleted the photos so i cant put one up.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

They really are lovely photos Maxie, have you been investing in a new camera ?

I think clive will know the answer to the blurred dragon fly, I remember himn talking about blurred things before, think he called it depth of field.

5. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

I wish the wife paid as much attention to what I say :yes:

On macro shots focusing is critical. As Glenn says, the depth of field - the part of the shot that is in focus is razor thin.

6. Baramundi Bob

Im keen to learn Clive, but what I cant figure out is why some days I get really nice shots that Im happy with then a few days later with what appear the same conditions the shots look poor. Not sure if Im loosing something when resizing the pics. :ugly: :educated:

7. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Re-sizing the photos shouldn't affect image quality when you reduce the size. It only affects quality if you enlarge them too much.

One reason that photographs don't match expectations is that the camera does not adjust to conditions as your eye does. This can lead to unwelcome colour casts, unsightly shadows and poor exposure.

If you PM me the shots I'll give you an opinion.

8. Baramundi Bob

The ones of Saltwick clive

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/north-east-coast-fishing/spotty-dog-tackle-july-photo-comp/

I got a really nice one of Saltwick nab. The one that won the photo comp a few month back. These were taken in similar conditions but dont seem to be as good.

9. Maxie

Maxie New Member

ive had the camera for a while but good photo opportunities are a bit limited as im mainly fishing the beaches at the moment.
    if youre ever at keswick have a ride up to the car park at skiddaw or ashness bridge there is some good views without climbing the mountain,but think of the views from the top of here.
    [​IMG]

10. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It,s strange but untill Clive pointed out the level/slope of the horizon I never noticed it :blindfold: but now he has I can,t help but notice it :cheesy: I like the gravestone shot and the way they all seem to be looking out to sea as if waiting for a boat to come into view, if you know what I mean.

12. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Just make sure you are to his right when he's beach-casting :laugh:

13. Baramundi Bob

Jellyworm did mention a program for straightening up the horizons. I also have photoshop so that might sort it.

Its right what you say about half the shots being in light and half in shade. They never seem right. Ive had great problems taking pictures on river banks because of this, with the trees casting shade.