1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peregrine Falcon pics

Discussion in 'Photography Forum' started by NICKB, Jul 2, 2010.

1. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A few shots of a Peregrine family that I've been watching over the last month or so. We've known about them for a while but for obvious reasons have waited till they were flying till I put the photo's up. They've done a sterling job at decimating our pigeon problem so hopefully they'll nest close by next year as well.

First is mum coming in to land.
    [​IMG]

The next couple are one of the two young having a stretch before taking the plunge!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was after I missed the initial flight (doh)cause I was taking a picture of a Kestrel that had landed nearby with a mouse in its claws. It put the s**ts up me as it flew directly towards me.

[​IMG]

And this is the pic of the Kestrel.

[​IMG]

The RSPB guy that came to ring the chicks also took a couple of photo's so if I can get them off him then I'll post them up later.
    Cheers
    Nick

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

quality pics mate :yes:

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

Awesome pics mate :happy:
    Peregrine's are superbly adapted birds and a pleasure to see in the wild,there are plenty of them around our coastlines, 4 pairs that i know of :happy: tight lines

4. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It's been a real privelage to watch these birds at close quarters Smokey. Their discovery answered a few questions for us as we'd been finding decapitated pigeons all over the plant and blamed ferral cats. They seem to grow so quickly and seem reasonably unfazed by the attention they get. Even though the nest is 80ft up a column theres always people stopping work to watch them for a bit. The RSPB guy told me that it's unlikely that they will nest in the same place again but they could well settle close by so I'll be keeping an eye out next year.

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

I wouldn't be too sure that they won't come back and nest again mate :wink: :happy:
    The same pair come back to the same place year after year where i am and get a clutch away,i believe they had 4 chicks this year which is apparently quite uncommon... tight lines

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Excellent mate, I enjoyed looking at them.

7. langy

langy Rockling

Nice pics them mate, would of loved to have been there :happy: birds of prey are amazing :yes:

Langy

8. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fantastic creatures, would love to have seen that peregrine at first hand......thanks for posting the pictures.
    Regards Ian.

9. el_sid

el_sid Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great picsmate :wink: great to see them around and doin well :cool:

10. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Great pics, fantastic creatures and good to know they are adapting to other nesting sites.
    There was actually two nests last year down near skinny and the male peregrine was actually feeding both hens and both clutches of young succesfully flew.
    I was under the impression they mated for life but obviously not.

11. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

great pics nick and good timing.its quite ironic that the green brigade want to make everywhere nature reserves, when birds like this will quite happily adapt and live with us

12. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

absolutely brilliant pictures ... well done

there has been a number of pairs of peregrines nesting in and around quarries and other industrial sites near me for about the last 10 year or so.. each year most have been succesful at rearing chicks.. in one quarry this year the building where they nested has been altered and they have moved to the rock face again...

its great to see them taking pigeons which fly between the two big woods near one of the quarrys... they have even started to take waterhens and coots from the field next to the pond adjacent to the quarry.... this is spectacular to see ...the speed is awesome from the stoop then they level off towards the field and hit the lifting birds then its just a cloud of feathers ... the clever ones just run for cover instead of flying... it seems that the peregrine falcon is a very adaptable bird.. which will surely improve its chances of survival and increasing the species numbers for the future..

cheers
    Paul

13. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Great pics, as Smokey says there are quite a few around this coast, they certainly keep the local gull population on their toes

14. smokey

smokey Rockling

You certainly know when they are around well before you see them :confused:
    They cruise along the cliff face where the gulls are nesting and every single gull cacks itself and leaves the cliff,it's amazing to watch,then they pick off the one they are interested in :tease: :happy:
    They must miss one or 2 though as you often see a gull on the water smashed to bits and covered in blood :surprise: :happy:
    If you watch the pair most local to me for a while,you can usually see them bringing in a cliff pigeon for the young uuns :wink: :happy: tight lines

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

Awsome pics them Nick . I can understand keeping there location secret , I thought them days of going egging were long gone ....seems not ...Thanks for sharing them mate...