1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pennal Rigs For Cod - What Hook Size ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Just out of curiosity what size hooks are people using on the their pennal rigs. Mine are usually both of a 5o size. However recently Ive seen a few different approaches from anglers I would consider to be on the ball. Ive seen circle hooks as a top hook and Ive seen a small hook as a top hook above a 5o.

So what combination is best and whats your theory on the best set up of a pennel rig ?

2. chiplips

chiplips Blenny

size 4/0 and 6/0 and pulley pennel rig.with a nice long trace :tease:

3. Phil A

Phil A New Member

As I find the same subjects are often repeated I save what I have posted. So that following I have written somewhere else.

It is often an advantage to have plenty of bait out so you have plenty of scent in the water. If you only use one hook then this means you have to put more bait onto the hook. With worm baits this usually means threading worms on the hook and sliding them up the line. The danger with this is that some fish, particularly the smaller ones take the bait away from the end with the hook in it. You know this is the case because occasionally you hook a fish out side the mouth. Pennels increase the chances of smaller fish being caught on these long worm baits. If you thread your bait well up the top hook of a Pennel then there is an argument for using the same size hook on the top. If you just knick the bait so the hook is not masked then a smaller hook can be used on top.

I normally use a pennel when fishing for bass with ragworm and find most of the bigger fish are hooked on the bottom hook and many of the small schoolies are hooked on the top hook. Similarly when cod fishing with worm baits on a pennel it is fairly common to hook whiting on the top hook. Occasionally you hook a fish on both hooks which is why they are regarded as two hooks in match rules. I managed to hook two schoolies on a pennel this summer for the first time.

For short fat baits such as crab then a larger hook with a broad gape it is usually better as the bait will not mask the point of the hook.

The best tactic is to choose the bait to suit the fish and then choose the hook (or hook arrangement) to suit the bait.

4. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

at the start of the year i use 2/0s but as the season gets on and the fish get bigger(we hope) i change upto 5/0 or 6/0 at around christmas,then back down to 2/0 at this time of year

5. Howard

Howard Blenny

5/0 s 4" apart this year have given good results.If this years fish appear on the beaches next season then I will consider 7/0s. A 5/0 compared to a cods mouth is small and the bigger the hooks the less by catch.

6. Maxie

Maxie New Member

if you were fishing cleaner ground would you carry on using a pennel and bigger bait or change to a two hook trace with smaller baits? for cod fishing.

7. Baramundi Bob

Personally I've usually gone with a pennel, but have witnessed this year the use of 2 hook traces even into "heavier" ground. If I'm not mistaken an angler on this site used 2 hooks to good effect in a club match before Christmas catching around 46 pound of cod. Might be something worth doing more often :wink:

8. Phil A

Phil A New Member

As cod can take a huge bait and the likelyhood of taking two on the same trace are not high most people use a single hook and big bait. The biggest hook I've had them on from the shore was an 8/0 loaded with four worms and six big mussels. A 5lb12oz fish swallowed the lot!

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Somewere like the brigg glen itmight be an idea to have ure second snood further up the line with sometype of attractor on , maybe it would entice a pollock of two , :happy:

10. Phil A

Phil A New Member

Futher to what BB said about more than one hook. If fish are very thick on the ground it can be worth it. I remember talking to Tony Taylor from Newbiggin/Cambois? in the early 80s. We had previously had a year with huge numbers of small cod Tony had been catching them on multi-hook rigs. I seem to remember him catching over 1000 fish in the season. Unfortunately cod are not usually that thick on the ground.

11. Baramundi Bob

Hi Dav there is a rig that fishes 1 hook on the bottom and 1 hook up to 40 foot above it. I did once have the rig explained to me by a Scottish international boat angler. But he lost me after the 5th o ring :happy:. Joking aside he said it was a very effective match rig.

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

I have a feeling glen that was the rig ian gold done a write up on in the sea angler a few mopnth ago....looks abit complex for me like .... :embarrass:.......im sure a couple of meters would do the trick to lift it out of the kelp and away from the rocky bottom .......... :happy:

13. cloughton cod

cloughton cod New Member

i have used the 2 hook trace quite a lot this season on the scars and in the tide. i think i must of had 2 fish at time about 5 times. i had a couple 5lbs together the night i got 45lb.
    i use pennel rigs most of the time but always use circle hooks on the top.

14. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

ive just started using cirles,, they give a good hook hold like :wink:

15. Baramundi Bob

What's the theory behind circles as the top hook ?

16. cloughton cod

cloughton cod New Member

i am not to sure really glen, i have been using them for about 3/4 seasons now. they seam to hook the fish well and when you don't have a fish on the hook does not get stuck as easy because the barb is not sticking out like a normal hook.

17. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Phil

18. dbrown

dbrown Guest

Usually i just use one hook rigs size 5/0-6/0 but im going to go get some of these circles and have a go with them.

19. leatherbob

leatherbob New Member

ive just bought sum circle hooks,they seem a good idea,insted of both same size hook,looks like some northerlys best get some more rigs tied. :yes: :laugh:

:hungry:bob.

20. j sutton

j sutton New Member

the thery about them cicle hooks is when a fish is hooked it impossible for the fish to get itself bak off the hook because of the shape of the hook all the liners at scarborough use em