1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penn Fishing reels For Rough Ground And Cliff Fishing ??? Advise Please !

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by TheNorthSea, Jan 14, 2014.

1. TheNorthSea

TheNorthSea Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

looking at getting a fixed spool for rough ground and cliffs and wanting a penn as they seem a good price but my concern is which size to go for and is there any difference between the battle and conflict or they roughly the same?,any help would be gratefully appreciated. cheers

2. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: which penn?

Go 4 the battle,has a reputation of been sturdy n reliable,well known ruff ground reel ;)

3. TheNorthSea

cheers mate must admit i prefer the look of the battle just worries me if i go out and get the 8000 it may be to overkill.

4. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Can't beat a bit of blood n guts over kill,wrench e'm out pal,
    End of the day u need the pwr n strength,these reels have both lol :)

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

only thing that put me of these reels is there is no back wind so if you get stuck winding a fish up the cliff face you can't wind it back down to free it if you no what I mean. I was pointed this out when I was looking for a fixed spool reel. But they do seam to get good revues or is this just because of the name.

6. robq

robq Rockling

Ive got a pair of battles for cliff fishing and so far I am impressed with them :) only had mops up to a few pound up bempton on them but they wound em up like there was nothing on the end.

The line lay isnt the best and a bit of profiling helps to get a nice level line :) As for size the 8000 is quite compact really and certainly not overkill !! its smaller and lighter than the finn nors by quite a margin.

I am not sure of the difference between the battle, conflict or the fierce ?? they all share the same outer shell and spools etc so I am guessing that they have less bearings and maybe the gears are of a cheaper material ??

For the price difference I would stick to the battle.

7. ianc

ianc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

conflict is a upgrade from the battle.
    http://youtu.be/9W3dY9ue8fo

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/898880/new-product-info-penn-conflict-spinning-reel

8. GJW

GJW Rockling

Have a couple of Battles, and put them few a bit of a testing from Pulling Sharks and Jacks in off the beach abroad to dragging fish to double figures through heavy weed and boulders here on the North East coast and up in Scotland.. They have proved to be a tough reel. I agree with Rob about the line lay and spool, they are never going to be the best for casting, but if you want a reel that is tough and reliable then I think you wont go far wrong with the Battle. I have other fixed spools Shimano Ultegra's and Diawa 6000T's but for me for out and out rough ground the Battle comes out top's.. My mate Matty said the Conflicts are good aswell, so if they are an improved Battle I think they should be a good choice too.. I have a Penn Spinfisher 10500 V for Cliff work but a bit too overgunned for everyday use...

9. Lynn_M

Lynn_M Its all about fast bikes & fishing !!!! :-)))))

I have the battle 8000 im happy with it , as said above the fact that there is no backwind if you get caught can be a pain but it only takes a few secs to slacken some off :)

10. TheNorthSea

8000 battle it is then thanks all spot on advice.

11. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

no backwind is good for safty,if you have a big load on your line and click ito back wind by accsident then your fingers will know about it :'(