1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penn - Battle, Conflict Or Spinfisher ??? A New Kayak Fishing Reel For Summer

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Im just researching for the purchase of a new spinning reel for the kayak in the summer. Im looking for something at about the 4000 size.

Which of the 3 reels would you suggest and what is the difference between each one ?? Also have you any links to shops, ebay or amazon for the best prices ???

Reels Im Looking At :

2. mozzer

mozzer Blenny

I have s spinfisher 8500 its built like a tank a weighs about the same :)

3. Welsh wizard

Welsh wizard if you don't know you don't need to know

Hi Glenn if the smaller spin fishers are anything like the 7500 LC it's that good I'm getting another one for Owen to use

4. Baramundi Bob

Isnt 7500 a bit big for kayak fishing Ian ?

5. Welsh wizard

Sorry glen I didn't read all your post just the topic I've edited my post another reel you could have a look at is a quantum cabo

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

The penn battle has shocking line lay on it glenn, as does the rovex ceratec series, the drag is pants on it as well, very very jerky.

7. Welsh wizard

Hi Glenn
    I bought 1 of the quantum cabo reels Spawney recomended it to me and I read this reveiw
    http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/gear-guide/91-new-kayak-gear/585-quantum-cabo-pt-review.html
    After using it I bought another one
    Out of the 2 reels I've abused 1 of mine and it's still going strong I have swam to marks with it I use it on the kayak
    I've used from the shore I've had it about 3 or 4 years and it's still working as it should
    Regards
    Ian

8. fishysteve

fishysteve North West Donkers

the cabo is a very good reel i have used a bigger sized oe in cuba for speed jigging and throwing 8oz poppers cant fault them the reel and the drag are very smooth

9. rdngd

rdngd Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

It would have to be the Spinfisher and I think for you the 5500 would be the right size. I now have 2 5500 2 3500 and 2 7500 on my boat here in the Florida Keys and we use the 5500's for are sporty shark up to 100 lbs with 40 lb braid and they are just awesome. Most captains over here are moving all their reels to spinfish enough said with the sealed and water prof drag and body just the job for the Kayak, just fresh water wash down and oil roller and handle and you should have no problems.

10. Iank

Iank Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've had the spinfisher 5500 for about a year now. Used it for lure fishing and on a bass rod with 20lb braid up on the Llyn throughout the the summer and autumn.

Great reel for my purposes the only negative for me was that it didn't come with a spare spool. I bought it abroad so don't know if the ones supplied here are the same with just the one spool.

11. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The Fin Nor Lethal gets a very good right up [ the 100 seems the best choice ] I have seen them for around 104 Pounds on E Bay

12. congerball

congerball Blenny

Penn Spinfisher gets my vote. I've got the 3500 size and can't fault it.

13. Baramundi Bob

The Penn Battle seems to be more expensive than the spinfisher. I thought it would be the other way round.

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

15. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Dave.

16. cps

cps Rockling

had almost 10 years on a penn slammer 550 now tope fishing in the boat and holiday fishin
    best drag in class by far think the slammers had a better drag than the spinfishers but the new spinfishers look very like the slammer

17. martin s

martin s Blenny

The main spindle is supported better on the slammer than the other penn reels, more like the finnor offshore i think this keeps the gears in line better.I thought they had stopped making them but Askari are advertising them

18. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Spinfisher arrived earlier in the week. Looks mint, can't wait to use it now. Bring on summer.