1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

penn 525 mag !! have a been ripped off ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by bowesy, Jan 3, 2009.

1. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

just bought this penn 525 mag of e bay for £70 brand new in the box but on the picture and description on e bay it was supposed to be a mag extra which it clearly is not!!!! can some one clear this up for me have a been ripped off or not thought ad ask you lads before a got in touch with the company on e bay cheers [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Its the super mag xtra that has knobby control if thats the problem.

3. macky

macky New Member

Could be a standard one thats been upgraded
    take it apart and have a look at the magnets

4. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

how will a tell if its been upgraded cheers

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve got two new mag extras at home....at work at the moment but will take a pic of them inside and out for you to compare...give me a couple of hours til I get finished.

6. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

ive never seen one with that type of spool engage switch iether

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I have one the same as that bowsey and would be happy with another new one for £70. Maybe not what you expected but not a rip off either.

8. baza

baza New Member

those are the new switches, must be better than the old switches which are a bit tosh. it looks like a new reel to me, how many types of 525 is there now. mag extra, supermag ?

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

A snip at £70 Bowsey,you got a good deal pal,it's not the one advertised but still a cheap reel :wink: :happy: tight lines

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

If it was advertised as a mag extra it should have the upgrade bearings and extra mags in the box and should have the slidey mag control.
    I ve just viewed the pics on my phone and can say it is the new switch like the one on the Torque range from Penn.
    The super mag is the one with the n*bby mag control....so it would seem you have got was described matey .

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Come to think of it - is there any more going at that price ?? I need another.

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

its not quite the same as mine i got from ebay for £80 it came with extra mags in the box and says MAG extra on it

13. budgie1824

budgie1824 Blenny

Re penn models 525 mag extra & super mag extra 2009 models have a ratcheted wheel that controls a new magnet carrier,not the slider.
    As for buying off ebay I am biased as I own a shop use your local shop or lose it,ask if they can meet the price offered , if something goes wrong you do not have to worry take it to the shop.

14. bassman

bassman Administrator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry carnt get the pics any bigger

15. richie7

richie7 Blenny

does this mean you are selling them for £70 ??? :cheesy:

16. NICKB

NICKB Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Recieved my 525 Mag Xtra today. The box looks the same as yours Bowesy but has a Penn sticker (quite small) on the side which says Penn 525 Mag Xtra. Also the badge on the front of the reel cage is slightly different to mine as this also says Penn Mag Xtra on it. It might just be a slight model modification by Penn. I have seen an ad in Sea Angler which looks the same as yours and is advertised as a 525 Mag Xtra so it's probably right but it may be worth contacting them to confirm they've sent the right model. Hope this helps.

17. jasoncasper

jasoncasper Blenny

Me and my brother got two 525's from spottydog i got the mag xtra he got the supermag with the knobly mag controll and mine came with extra magnets and 2 abec 5 bearings mine says mag xtra on the reel also

18. Steve

Steve Rockling

[​IMG]

it should look like this.
    notice the badge and clutch lever

19. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Thats the problem with flea bay. Much better to go in the shop sometimes and have look. The reel you bought for £70 looks good. I would be happy. My supermag extra cost £150 from NE Tackle at Hartlepool. It discovered due to the line raffling that it had a hairline fracture on one of the side plates. Took it off and lads in shop sent away got a replacement and now reel top dollar.