1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Penn 525 Design Fault ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I was thinking how unlucky I was when the frame of my 525 broke last year. I never thought anymore about it. I used an epoxy and glued it up and it works fine.

Then I noticed Jellyworm post about his broken cage. Looking at the pics it went in an identical spot to mine. The only difference was I hadnt dropped mine.

I recently bought another second hand 525 in immaculate condition. Probably never used. After a couple of sessions use I have examined it. The cage is cracked. Under closer inspection the crack is right where the small screw comes through (The one that fitted under the sideplate rim.

Am I unlucky or does this appear to be a design fault with the cage ? Is your break in the same place Dave ??

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

My 535 GS has cracked in the very same place as well Glenn,never been dropped like yours so maybe a small design flaw.tight lines

3. Baramundi Bob

Think Ill drop them a line Mart. Too much of a coincidence I think. Its right where that tiny little screw is and Ill bet that's the cause of this. Who is best to contact ??

4. smokey

smokey Rockling

Try Martin McAuley Glenn at Penn UK Servicing... 01418146565 He's usually very helpfull...keep us posted on how you get on Glenn...Tight lines

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I ve just read this post Glenn and out of curiosity went and took the metal trim plate off to have a look at exactly where the crack was in relation to the screw.
    The small screw ,unlike the main three cage screws does not have a brass thread insert and so I would think that if the screw is over tightened or is slightly cross threaded to the original cut thread in the graphite,that stress would be put on what is a very thin amount of graphite at that point.
    Also as with mine if the reel is subject to any impact on that area there is not a lot of material there and so it will be the weak point.The problem is that if the reel is going to get knocked then it will usually be the part at the top of the reel,exactly where the weakest point is ! (After all look at most rock reels that have been used,they all have scratches and knocks on the high point of the cage.)
    Don't know how they could get round it as that screw is there just to ensure the cage and plate don't seperate isn't it which would allow dirt/water in.

I ve marked the crack with Tip-ex so you can see where it is and also on the metal trim I ve marked the exact spot that the reel impacted with the garage floor :cry:....guess I was unlucky that it struck the weakest point on the cage !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I must say is that I ve had no other problems with the 525's which compared to modern Abu's and how they need to be tweaked and tuned to run half decent,the Penns are still cracking reels imo.

6. Baramundi Bob

So did yours crack where the little screw was Dave ? If Ive cracked 2 and Marts cracked 1 thats a bit too much for it to be coincidence wouldn't you say ?

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

I have just double checked mine to see where the crack is and it's smack on where one of the screws comes through.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It seems like this is the weak point of the Penn,not enough Graphite at the point where the screw comes through.That said i would buy another 535GS for the cliffs and boat fishing any day... tight lines

8. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Just had a look at my 525 and its ok and does`nt have the small screw under the metal end plate, so that must be where the fault is ??

9. budgie1824

budgie1824 Blenny

Pure fishing (which took over Penn )is where you now have to send all repairs 01527510570, Pure Fishing (uk)LTD, PO Box 1,Broad Ground Rd,Lakeside,Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 8NQ,HOPE THIS HELPS (North Bay Angling)

10. mww

mww Rockling

...from memory, none of my 525mags (they're the original "mk1" slideys, pre Supermag/ Magxtra models) have the small screw in that side, although there's a hole that looks like it'll take one....never noticed a crack in any of them either, but I'll check if I remember...

Mart

11. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

just looked at my 525 mag xtra sliddy and its got thr little screw behind the metal rim plate.

12. cps

cps Rockling

my two dont have the screw but i have bust the cage on the left side on one, droped out of the back of the landy on to the floor

13. 39john3939

39john3939 Blenny

Just examined my 535 mag,there is no crack on the cage but when you look closely in exactly the same spot there is a shiny mark on the graphite,could this be ready to go ??????????????

14. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Smokes...you say it hasn't been dropped and not questioning that....but what is the scuff at the point it cracked...has it been banged or crushed or similar to cause that mark ?

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

LOL.... Nah it hasn't been dropped Dave,it's had some hammer mind,i've had it a few years and it's served me well.The mark on it is from where i tried cleaning the crack for glueing,i never got round to it and stuck it away in the cupboard i've been using it as a donor reel :embarrass: . Will be buying a new one for next years cliff fishing,they all do seem to go in the same spot though,deffo not coincidence :no: tight lines

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yers are all just heavy handed animals ..... :cheesy: :cheesy:

17. snapperspike

snapperspike New Member

This may or may not be of interest, but when trawling the web for HOURS one night recently, came across Neils original Americam Penn Q&A site, and someone was thinking they'd left the above mentioned screw out after reassembly. Neil said that "Penn engineers had decided the screw wasn't nessecary, and so left it out, so there was no screw missing"
    HHHHMMMM, could it be a case (as usual) of "over the pond" KNOWING this happens, and coming up with a "fix around" by simply leaving the screw out ?????
    So is it worth removing the screw if you buy a new one over here ???
    I'll try and find the site again, and post a link on here.
    Just buying a Mag Xtra myself, so obviously interested !!!!

Spike

18. snapperspike

snapperspike New Member

Hi guys, thank God for search history !!!!
    Here is the thread link complete asking about the screw :-
    http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/cgi-bin/noteboards/neil2.cgi?read=5899
    And here's Neils ACTUAL statement further down the link
    http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/cgi-bin/noteboards/neil2.cgi?read=5917
    Comments anyone ??

Spike

19. langy

langy Rockling

exactly where mines cracked too so has my mates aswell ???

20. snapperspike

snapperspike New Member

How long you and your mate had them Langy ???
    Getting concerned over buying mine now !!!

Spike