1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parking At Hawsker - Please Keep The Farmers Access Open At All Times.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Kevin Thompson, Nov 16, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Kevin Thompson

Kevin Thompson New Member

Related Reading On Hawsker Sea Fishing

A Handle On Hawsker By Steve I'anson
    Site Article On Fishing North And South Hawsker
    Where To Fish At Hawsker Including Glenn's Thoughts On the Parking Situation Dated 2010
    Forum Topics About Hawsker
    Hawsker Low Water Pictures

I have been fishing at north Hawsker today. When I parked up the farmer was there so I double checked it was okay for me to park there. Initially he was a bit apprehensive but after a short chat he said that it was okay and now he knew my car it would be okay for me to park there in the future.

He went on to say that during recent matches people have just been parking anywhere and obstructing the farmers access so they may have to reconsider letting people park on their land in the future.

As anglers we have no right to park on what is private land and rely on the goodwill of local landowners to provide access to some of this coast's finest marks.

If we are not more considerate we will lose this goodwill and these marks will become more difficult to access. This goodwill stretches back for decades over generations and needs to be respected.

Please could the inconsiderate few take a little time to consider these landowners and other anglers before we lose the privilege of being able to park on this private land.

Take the time to confirm with the relevant party that you do actually have permission to park there rather than assuming that you do. If this is not possible park considerately giving thought to the activities of others.

It maybe the weekend for you but farming is a 24/7 way of life. Perhaps we could even go one step further and offer some kind of payment or gift to the landowners in way of thanks for allowing us to use their land.
    Thank you.

2. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Parking at Hawsker

Some people are thick as shit i spend quite a lot of time down their and to loose the parking at the farm would be a nightmare.

3. team cono-flex

team cono-flex Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fished it for years without problem. Until it was put on here and idiots now come from far and wide with no consideration for the local farmers :mad:

4. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

Totally agree I have always been aloud to fish down there by Margaret and col I no for a fact that alot of anglers who go.down.there now don't no them from Adam and have no permission to park down there and like you say iit's a working farm not just a anglers car park people should make.the effort.to find the farmer or land owners permission when fishing places like this its not public land so.not to.spoil it for others.who.do have permission

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It dosn't matter where you come from it,s just common sense and courtesy. Anglers from around here go all over the place fishing and the same rules apply.
    Hawsker is a victim of its success and really relies on the goodwill of the local farmers to allow reasonable access.
    There is nothing in it for the farmer in question whatsoever! Theres cars pulling up and taking off at all times of the day and night.
    He is solely responsible for the upkeep of the track too. To say he's tolerant is an understatement. Take the time to at least speak to the man and let him know of your appreciation and your annoyance at the ones that are inconsiderately parking.
    A few fish or bottle of spirit now and again wouldn't harm either.
    It's in anyone's benefit who fishes there to let someone know if they park Inconsiderately too.

6. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Totally agree with Ray, courtesy costs nothing. The farmer is a real nice bloke, whenever Ive seen him he always stops for a bit of a yarn.

7. robq

robq Rockling

Last time we were up there was just before last xmas, Dave and I dropped a case of beer to him as a thank you for letting us park. Even though we probably only fish there 3 or 4 times a season.

A little courtesy goes a long way. Some folk just dont have any manners though ::)

8. cps

cps Rockling

seems more people are fishing it than ever befor , I fish down there a bit and hardly ever used to be more than 2 or 3 cars on a match day now often 5 or 6
    often wondered if that's why it no longer fishes anywhere near as good as it used to or the 4 and 5 lb fish as they now just get caught as soon as they set up home there and don't get chance to grow

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Must be ten years last time I fished it chris and I packed in fishing it then because of its popularity. It's a great spot but you're very limited when there's too many there. Lots of matches were won there years ago but like you say, not so many now.

10. fileybrigg

fileybrigg Blenny

Its still a match wining venue Ray as you no when conditions are right.
    I can tell you the farmer in question likes a nice fresh salamon or a nice fresh lobster ;)

11. cps

cps Rockling

the same reason I swapped cayton bay for robin hoods bay, now go back to cayton as everyone seems to thing rhb is the magical place , one day they will learn anglers catch the fish not the magical location

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

;) ;) ;)

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3300.0

13. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:D I was referring to open matches dave. I,ve had 2 jollies there in about 10 year. The last time I fished it in a match was one night in the old Yorkshire fours which was before we went. In opens, which is when the parking problems arise, it's probably longer than that as thats when I started to fish ravenscar to get away from the crowd.

Think the last open I fished it was the Stiddy, and mop mans dad beat me, something he was good at. Eric was down there that day too.

14. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I have fished down there for many years and as mop man says you are just a guest on the farmers land and to block his access is extremly naughty indeed it is extremly courteous for allowing anybody to park there in first place you are on private land and you must have respect or people could end spoiling it for everybody .
    I remember when foot and mouth was on the go north hawsker was out of bounds it was a bloody nightmare you couldnt go anywhere near the place as one my favourite marks it was very frustrating so if you se anybody blocking any accesses severly bollock them.

paul.

15. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I only fish there a couple of Times a season or so and I always try to have a chat with the farmer and always take him a thankyou gift and make sure to turn my head lighr on low and not shine it in the house.
    Inconsiderate anglers have caused the loss of so many access spots iver the years it beggars belief.
    I was shown that spot by another angler but I made sure I spoke to the farmer to confirm I could park and didn t just assume I could, it only takes a ninute or two and manners go a long way for no expense .

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

To be honest, blaiming people for putting it on here is utter $hite. I remember Colin getting very annoyed with local anglers long before this site even existed.

Once over he electrified every fence in a bid to keep people off because he was fed up of you parking all over his farm yard.

Also he banned people off for life for stealing wood, again a long time before this site existed. So dont come posting fiction. peoples displeasure over what is on this site has more to do with you wanting the fishing to yourselves than anything else.

Secondly Ian, im with you 100%. We have to look after the parking at all marks, and respect of peoples property and livlihoods is paramount. Im happy to pay a couple of quid into a trust box when i go there as would most everyone else. Also happy to work with the farmer in anyway he wishes to make sure we can all continue going there, old anglers, new anglers, local anglers and those traveling from a far alike..

Also find it quite ironic that some of those complaining about traveling anglers actually live in Scarboough or Filey. How far are you allowed to travel to fish a mark, and how long do you have to be an angler before you can access these marks ? Who writes the rules ? Half of you fish amble, should you really be going that far ?

And you wonder why I say match fishing brings out the worst in people. get over yourselves.

17. robq

robq Rockling

You have raised some very valid points there Glenn

The same clashes happened when surfing went global in the mid 90s. Locals defending the marks from the raiding travellers who lived a bit closer in land from them ::)

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I feel its closer to the mark Rob. Been fishing there myself a lot of years and there was problems long before this site came about.

19. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

You are right glen but people need reminding and if people are seen to be blocking any access for the farmer they need telling
    it has been going on for a few years but more and more people are fishing the area especially with how the fishing has been this year .

paul.

20. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I would wager that 100% of anglers from away who have fished it, were shown, or at least directed by locals how to get there anyway as its not somewhere you would just stumble onto!