1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

Simple question really - which one should I go for.

After manhandling the family on Malibu 2XL through the surf, tides and high winds we had on holiday in St Davids, Pembrokeshire its time I got selfish and got myself my own dedicated Yak - not that it wasn't good fun just floppin hard work.

Most folks down there were fishing from P13s but met a bloke who had had a P13 but had got himself an X13 and said it was way better on the paddling front - said he'd even done a few good distance trips round Ramsey Island.

Any comments from owners of the said animals ?

Looking to get one before Bank Holiday weekend as we're booked in at Beacon Farm campsite, Whitby for the weekend.

2. carpyken

carpyken New Member

The P13 is a great yak but if you can store the extra length go for the Elite 4.5, the P15 or the Scuppa Pro. Simple reason is they ride the tide and swell better than a smaller boat, have a look at any dedicated sea kayak site, you'll struggle to find a boat at under 15 foot in length. All depends on were you going to paddle of course.

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I've been a proud owner of a P13 since April and it has been great and highly recommended, saying that I do like the look of the X13 though :yes: Some nice features on there, the front storage area looks good on the X13. I would of gone for an Elite or P15 if I could of fit it in the garage though.

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The new prowler trident 13 is out soon and maybe worth looking at :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-fishing-reviews/ocean-kayaks-prowler-trident-13/

Ken, I know little about the larger sea kayaks. How robust are they ?

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

The ones from Ocean, ie the scupper pro, p15 ect are just as robust as the rest of their fleet -although I did hear a story of an Elite 4.5 'folding' :surprise: .

The 'glass' kayaks are robust but lighter and you do need to respect them a little more than the moulded plastic ones. They really come into there own though when paddling distances or in strong wind/tides and in big seas, saving my pennies for hopefully a purchase early next year :happy: .