1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

outboard engines

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by halibut man, Dec 31, 2010.

1. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Right lads starting to think about the summer where can i get my outboard engines serviced.????

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Denny's garage on Redcar sea front used to service engines and I think they still do, might be worth your while to give them a ring on Tuesday to find out for sure, failing that I might have a back up plan

3. steerser

steerser Blenny

Theres loads of places mate. Where are you at and what make of engine is it?.

4. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Could do with similar info my self.
    I would advise not to go to York marine at Bishopthorpe, I was very disappointed with them last year.

I have had a good recommendation for M J marine services just over the Humber bridge, I was going to use them this year if I don't get any good local recommendation's.

Regards John

5. halibut man

halibut man Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I am in liverton i can take then for servicing anywhere but want someone local{20 miles} who will do the job properly

6. steerser

steerser Blenny

Try Coates marine at whitby, Dennys at Redcar or scarborough marine. all fairly close for you.

7. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

a wouldnt took coates marine they rip you off and you have to wait ages for em t even look at your engine very poor service , a took our engine there this summer as we were haveing trouble with the trim tilt it took em 3 weeks t look at it after 1 a dozen phone calls waste ov time!!

8. smokey

smokey Rockling

Buy a manual or cd manual off fleabay.
    Buy the service kit off ebay for your engine and do it yourself,it's an absolute piece of wee.
    Once you've done it once you will never pay again,i guarentee you :wink: :happy:
    It will take you no more than 2 hours tops. tight lines

9. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

I asked at Denny's the other year but was told that they no longer do outboards since they lost the Mariner franchise. I had my engines last serviced by Coates at Whitby but did think that they were a little expensive. You could try C.T.C marine they are now at Billingham on the industrial estate but I think that they still have a workshop in Middlesborough where they do service work.
    After giving my mate a hand to service his Mariner 60 four stroke last summer and seeing how easy it was I think in future I'll do all my own regular servicing only taking it in if there's some problem I can't handle. When you see what they do for the money they charge, it's money for old rope. What engine is it? is it a four stroke?, if it is basically all that needs doing is change the engine and gearbox oil, new set of plugs, fit a new in-line fuel filter and check you have a good cooling water supply either by running the engine and watching the tell tail or if you do a lot of beach launching and think you may have pulled some sand through the impeller then split the leg and check/change it. Even changing the impeller should take less than half a day.

10. Acko

Acko Rockling

I can do them for you. I can do general servicing on outboards and basic repairs. Ive been doing it for years. If you want anything major doing I know the right people. Its not cheap though...
    Ring me.
    Paul (Acko) 01287201506 Mobile 07762310813
    Also if you need spares. I can help.

11. smokey

smokey Rockling

Thats what i was saying,you get an impellor in the kits and they take 15 minutes to fit.
    Like i said,do it once yourself and you will never pay again,a service will cost you in the region of £150 - £200 at a marine engineers,do it yourself and it will cost you a couple of hours of your time and about £40 in the service kit :wink: :happy:

PS: DO NOT take it to Scarborough Marine Engineers,they are incompetent robbing barstewards :wink: :happy:

12. cps

cps Rockling

allways good practice to split the gearbox off and grease the top spline where it goes into the crank end
    i had to cut a drive shaft on a evenrude 70 once as even with 10 tone of puller on it wouldent split

13. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

The problem with DIY is the fear that some thing might go wrong 3-4 miles out. Doing your car is OK you can always walk home. In a boat its a hell of a swim.
    It appears a lot of marine engineers pray on this fact.

Regards John

14. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have yamaha 1984-96 manual on disc that gives you service info and plenty more besides,live in leeds ,anyone want a copy there welcome free of charge.
    frank.

15. smokey

smokey Rockling

I couldn't agree more John.
    The hardest bit is talking yourself into doing it,but once you see how easy it is,you will see how marine engineers are charging you £150 in labour for something the average man can do in 2 hours.

16. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

It's going to be expensive enough this year the way petrol prices are going up. So if you are capable of doing it yourself, why not? Instead of lining someone Else's pockets with your hard earned cash, save the money and offset the rise in fuel costs. Unless you've got more money than you know what to do with, then I know a very worthy cause.

17. cps

cps Rockling

if its a 2 stroke then all there is is plugs [ even then if there rim fires they last for years ] gearbox oil and a few filters to clean hear and there and a few squirts from the greese gun
    when you consiider the life in running hours of an modern outboard is expected to be inexcess of 5000 hours and most pleasure boaters do less than 50 a year going on hours then a service every 3 years would still be ok