1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our weekend at the Mull

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by seanyrooroo, Jul 13, 2010.

1. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Just back yesterday from our annual trip to the Mull. I wish I could say it was the trip of a lifetime but alas it was far from it. Strong winds and heavy rain made fishing difficult and uncomfortable at times. We all caught a lot of fish and were kept busy most of the time but the general stamp of fish was poor. We caught a good few species including wrasse, pollock, mackerel, coalies, bass etc. The crap weather and small tides didn't help but a poor weekend at the Mull is better than a good weekend at work! Sorry for the lack of pics, we just didn't have much reason to get the camera out.:rolleyes:

The average stamp of pollock.
    [​IMG]

The average stamp of Ballan Wrasse.
    [​IMG]

A new PB male Cuckoo Wrasse, beating my old pb by a couple of ounces.
    [​IMG]

Stunning colours!!
    [​IMG]

Typical Mull Schoolie Bass
    [​IMG]

A break in the awful weather!!
    [​IMG]

On the bright side the beef was very cheap in Scotland :D:D
    [​IMG]

Hopefully next time out will coincide with bigger tides and better weather. Still, nice to be out fishing instead of working.

Sean

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi seanyrooroo thanks for posting the report and pictures it a shame when you go all that way and the weathers a bit doggy do do but like you say id sooner be up there than at work i was told by a local charter skipper that the fishing is 4 to 6 weeks behind the usual me and a few others when up for the sharkAtag event and that was poor compaired to last years event i would think the last week in august should see a better stamp of fish a round theres allways next time tightlines Alain

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Shame about the weather mate. At least you maaged some fish though. As Alan says, thanks for taking the time and effort to write a reort with pictures fr us. It is really appreciated. Its great to see other people enjoying our great hobbey.

4. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

nice one sean... better luck next time but like you say fishing is better than working.. thanks for the report and pictures
    cheers
    Paul

5. langy

langy Rockling

Smashing report that mate, well done, that wrasse has a beautiful colour to it :D

Tight lines..Langy

6. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Unlucky with the weather mate but still you had a few fish in one hell of a place well done.

7. jimaru09

jimaru09 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great pics mate as long as you enjoyed it the fish was a bonus

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Well done on your pb wrasse, do not be to down hearted, i have fished up there for a few years now and you done ok, we cant control the weather :no: last year we had a lot of rain , myself and Garry , and matty had a horrible week of rain , but look what we got :wink: there are a lot of anglers would love a spell ,ike you had mate ,believe me once again well done :cool:

9. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not so fun in that weather... good to see you still managed to catch
    Hope its nicer when you return

10. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Those cuckoo wrasse are bonny fish sean, the mull is the only place I have caught one. Great pics, shame about the weather though.

11. deecee

deecee Blenny

Shame about the weather but that's fishing . A good read and some nice looking fish nonetheless

12. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello Sean, nice report, shame about the weather but glad to see it didn't spoil your trip too much.
    Regards Ian.

13. Maxie

Maxie New Member

Bad luck with the weather there,im lucky as i can get up there and back in a day and pick my weather,but saying that ive still had some bad sessions there even in good weather,crammag twice to name a couple.
    I always had to head on to the mull as well but ive been fishing kirkudbright area this year with not bad results,different species like hounds,the odd thornie,bass and dogs,dogs ,dogs :no:
    Theres literally hundreds of marks between colvend and burrow head to fish yet getting any info is hard work as the locals are secretive to say the least.
    I reckon i could fish the sw scotland coast for the next ten years and still not figure most of it out but its always a pleasure to fish up there :happy:

14. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

A lot of the marks Gary, Matty and yourself fish are the marks we visit regularly, Harry. I think Alain is right in saying the fishing is behind where it should be!! It was more like fishing the Mull in early May than July. A week or so of settled weather will probably see a marked improvement.

Thanks for the comments though lads.

15. kevinh

I'd need to agree with that comment..... things do seem behind a bit here. The mackerel were late to show in numbers and haven't really moved into luce bay as previously experienced.
    This is affecting the bass fishing, catch rates are down from last year.... lets hope things do improve before the summer ends.

16. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Kevinh i was surprised of the size of the makkie this year 10oz to 1lb plus ive never seen them that big up there before last year if you caught one 8ins long it was a good UN this might have a effect on the bass fishing this year im hoping i can get back up to Luce Bay if the tope have been chomping theses big makkie then we could see some real big tope caught the end of august /September what do you think tightlines Alain

17. kevinh

Yeah, i know what you mean... not many joey around that i've seen.
    I'll just keep plugging away and see if i can lure some nice bass

18. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

Most of the mackerel we caught were joey's?? There were plenty of them but all on the small side :confused:

19. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

You are just in the lap of the gods when it comes to the weather if its just raining you can dress for it but the wind what can you say ! we have
    found it heavy going when the conditions are poor , but it was still nice to read your post and well done on what you did manage to catch

20. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Looks like a great trip to me, nice pics too well done.