1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our new fish shop in Redcar

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Wildcard, Mar 21, 2010.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Nice one Alan love the retort in the comments superb stuff ha ha ha ha.

2. corkyballs

corkyballs Blenny

3. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Well done Alan - great to see such passion for a fantastic British tradition. There's always a lot more behind the scenes to successful businesses than meets the customer's eye.

4. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

It took a fair bit of doing to get the machine to make the crinkle cut chips. The only commercial chipping machine ever built that could produce 'crinkle cuts' was made by 'Crypto Peerless'

I bought a 'Crypto Peerless' F2 machine from a dealer in Bradford which had the blades and knife block installed. It was vintage 1957. It was missing the crinkle cut 'scallop cut' blade though. I rang round a few more dealers and eventually found one in Pontefract. I then had to find a more modern machine which would come up to safety legislation.

The last of the machines which could carry these blades was made in 1994 and was called the F2F. So I bought one of them from another dealer. I then had all the parts to make the machine. :cheesy:

I got talking to a dealers father who was in his 80s. He told me that in the 1950s 50% of the machines sold were straight
    cut and 50% crinkle cut. Thats how I know they were commonplace.

They werent popular everywhere though. Then as now, there are very big regional differences in fish and chip preferences and tastes.

In our shops we do not sell any haddock at all, only cod. I have a friend in Leeds who only sells haddock and no cod, and yet we are less than 60 miles apart. :surprise:

Alan