1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our new fish shop in Redcar

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by Wildcard, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

The only shop in Redcar to sell crinkle cut chips fried in beef dripping. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

How it was 6 weeks ago;
    [​IMG]

New look;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alan

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Nice one Alan, where abouts in Redcar is it? I didnt realise you Guisboro shop done em in beef dripping :surprise: Have i missed out on something? :cheesy:

Mind you, be careful, the H&S loonies migh try and close you down if they knew :crazy:

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like the one next to the Lakes club on Westmoreland Rd

4. Wildcard

Yes it is Brian. It's in a heavily populated area near the race course Dav. Should have it opened by Thursday I reckon. Here's the flier I've been working on;

[​IMG]

5. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think you'll do very well there with it

6. Wildcard

You will be getting one of these through your door next week if you live in East Cleveland;

[​IMG]

Alan

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Looks the dogs danglies that one Alan. Best of luck in your new venture.

8. ziggy

ziggy luv it fishing

looks good alan. the best of luck with it

9. Wildcard

Its too much like hard work though, nearly time to go fishing :sick:

Alan

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Everything looks very well priced as well , think i will give it the once over next time i am in redcar,
    Had some in redcar couple of weeks back they were absolutly crap and told the manager as well, it was a sit down job ,the one painted green defo wont be going there again , bloody fish was well over cooked and the chips could be used as efin nails thick end of £15 for the two of us with a cupa , i dont mind paying top dollar for quality but that takes the biscutte :angry:

11. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

me and the mrs just sampled some of your food and got to say its the nicest fish and chips around these parts :yes:. well worth the drive from middlesbrough.

i got cod and chips wasnt a long bit of fish but my god was it thick and cooked to perfection the chips were spot on to and lovin the crinckle cut makes a change to boring straight ones got half way through and started feeling full but maned it out till the end iv now ate to much and cant move :laugh: but it was far to nice to waste any.

the mrs had a fish patty and chips and she was more than impressed said that to was cooked to perfection and realy tastey
    would recomend it to any 1 and will defo be going back.

the shop was realy clean and the staff were friendly and happy so a big 2 thumbs up to them

cheers scotty and zoe

12. Wildcard

Thanks for the comments Scotty. If its ok with you I'll put them on the website comments page;http://www.small-fry-redcar.co.uk/pages/comments.html

It is very labour intensive to get top quality fish and chips. For instance (just for chips) finest quality Maris Piper potatoes need to be sourced and delivered. They need to be tested on delivery with a kit used for testing blood/sugar levels in diabetics. If the sugar content is above 0.25% we reject them. They then stand in a heated environment which keeps the core temperature above 6C. If they drop below that the starch starts to turn back into sugar.

The reason you don't want sugar in spuds is they not only taste sweet but the sugar will caramelise and turn them dark when cooked.

Next is the peeling. They need to be rumbled for just the right amount of time to take the minimum skin off. If they are rumbled for even 30 seconds too long you begin to lose taste and the potato gets bruised resulting in the chip ends frying dark.

We rumble them into hot water, then chip them into hot water. They then stand for 15 mins in hot water with an additive called drywite. The hot water is to further reduce sugar, the drywite lets them stand for longer when they come into contact with the air.

They are then rinsed twice in tepid water which 'sets' the starch. The barrel is unplugged 30 mins prior to frying.

The chipping machine we use is called a Crypto Peerless F2F and is the only commercial machine ever made which can make crinkle cut chips. They stopped making them many years ago and I had to get the main machine from Bradford with the crinkle cut blades coming from all over the country.

Crinkle cut chips have a bigger surface area than normal chips resulting in more beef dripping being absorbed into them, hence the great taste.

So thats the easy bit done :educated:

Alan

13. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

yeh its fine if you want to use the comments on the website mate.

sounds like hard work just to make the chips but when you taste them its all worth it.

my lass says its a good job its not walking distance feom were we live because shed never leave the shop lol

cheers to you and your staff for the awsome food and you will defo be geting some more money off me lol

14. Wildcard

Nice one Scotty, your comments have been posted here;

http://www.small-fry-redcar.co.uk/pages/comments.html

Alan

15. kipper

kipper New Member

it goes to show that someone who goes out to catch sea fish with rod and line will most certainly know good fish eating and in the case of running a chippy that chippy will produce the best fish.

if i am in redcar i will most certainly sample your fish.

all the best with the shop.

16. Wildcard

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I think you have had more than your fare share of fame Alan, :yes: with your fishing boat wildcard,
    doing a good job on the water and a good job in the chippy, :yes: well done

18. ste muir

ste muir New Member

Havent had any good fish & chips for ages.Next time im in redcar i will try your shop alan

19. IanB

IanB Blenny

If I knew where it was Alan i'd call in, I understand its in Westmoreland rd, but where is that ?

20. Wildcard

It is next to the Lakes social club. Try zooming this in;
    http://www.small-fry-redcar.co.uk/pages/map.html

Alan