1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our 4000 mile roadtrip to Skjervoy, Norway! Trip report.

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by mr lee, Apr 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Last few...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mr lee

The pirks and Pitman specials that did wonders for us. The Pitman special (available through Malcolm Pitman) outfished the Norwegian pirks for quality fish but the pirks took more smaller cod. We also had a few cod on the large and medium sized shads from Onlinelures.

I used a Penn TRQ100 reel and a greys 20-30lb boat rod. The line was Berkley 66lb braid with some Stren 50lb gunsmoke leader on. All coped very easily with what was asked of it. We only lost 3 lots of gear when fishing over some kelp. So pretty good. I did lose the pirk though that caught me my 35lb'er sadly. Most of the marks on the charts are over clean ground. We took far too much lead. I also used stainless splitrings for rigs etc and decent swivels/clips. Hooks we took were all 8/0 - 12/0's and none snapped or bent out.

Boat fuel is around the £1.30 mark from the camp. We didn't use the harbour pumps though but read reports it was slightly cheaper. We can't confirm this though and it was easier having the fuel right next to the boat.

The distance from cabin 8, the lowest down with the best views, to the filleting shed is probably 75 yards and only another 25 to the boats.

We left all our gear on the boat each night as there is very little theft if any in the village and you can lock th eboat up at night.

Arvor boats - Don't get too close to the rocks either as a new prop is £1000. A lost boat key is about £20 to replace but they have a large cork float on them. They do guzzle some fuel but we found sticking around the 2k rpm mark gave us the best return. The boats are pretty good and stable in the sea with comfy seats when motoring out. You have a sheet in the filleting area where you mark up how much fuel you will need each night. This will be ready for you in your locker each morning. It is easier to give your boat a quick wash down each day to save yourself a load of hassle on the last day.

Waste from gutting - You have tubs on your boat to put your waste into after filleting. This needs to go back on your boat and be thrown back out at sea the next day. Make sure you cover the tub or bucket with something or you will wake to find bird crap all over your boat the next day. Don't throw it back in the harbour. Someone had thrown a wolffish carcass in the harbour before we got there and it is clearly visible due to the water clarity.

The harbour holds hundreds of starfish and is generally about 12 foot deep and very clear. Hence not throwing your waste in there.

I would advise taking a flask for the cold days out at sea. The wind is truly cutting at times so a short break and a hot coffee is very welcomed.

Speeding - try not to if you drive. We didn't and barely saw any police apart from when we were pulled over for a roadside breathalyser. They stop every 3rd motor at layby's and check your details and breathalyse you. There is a zero tolerance to drinking and driving. You must drive with your lights on through the day too.

Parking - Some places in Denmark don't allow you to just park up like here in the Uk. You have to use the designated places or end up being fined or towed. The road signs though for parking are not in English.

Ideally book your accomodation in advance as we struggled at times to find somewhere without it costing the earth.

We used approximately 8 tanks of fuel driving there in a new shape L200 at £90 a tank. Most places we found to stay over in worked out about £20-£40 Per person.

Beers - Expensive by our prices here. We paid £46 for 12 cans of Bud and a litre of milk. Cigarettes in Skjervoy work out to about £8.50 for 20 and £5.30 in Denmark so stock up there if possible.

Tom tom maps - We bought the Scandinavia full map as the part one doesn't include the top of Norway. It cost me £40 online. The road map was only £4.

Headlight deflectors, Pointless! Ours didn't do a thing to help divert our beam and driving at night saw us being flashed by oncoming cars.

At present I can't think of much more info to post but if anybody has any questions then do ask and if I can answer them I will.

Thanks for reading and the comments, it's all appreciated.

Skjervoy is a truly fantastic place and you MUST take a camera because it's hard to explain to people how beautiful the place is! If you had ever thought about driving then go for it! You see so much more and meet so many great people. The trip is a long way, just under 4000 miles from West Yorkshire and back but worth every mile once you start seeing reindeer walking up the roads, moose and the hawks everywhere.

3. newdave

newdave Guest

Great Photos Mate, only skimmed your post at the moment, will take another look when I have a bit more time, but it seems a good read.

4. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Envious stuff What an adventure cracking report & excellent photos cant wait to see some video well done lads

5. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

excellent and thorough report mate. well done on all the hard work you put in to make it a success. :yes:

it looks a beautiful place, I must get there sometime

6. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

wow!! one hell of a trip,and one hell of a report.probably the most in depth post ive read on here.massive well done to the pair of you,and thanks for taking the time to write up this post!

7. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Absolutely fantastic report. Brilliant photos and the whole topic is full of information, it must of taken hours to compose that. Thank you for sharing a dream trip, absolutely stunning very well done.

8. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

fantastic report ,excellent reading and stunning photos and well done getting your pb.

9. andym

andym Rockling

SUPERB report and photos really enjoyed reading that thanks for taking the time to type up and compose

Cheers Andy

10. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great to read and some stunning pictures ,thanks for sharing your trip with us all on the forum .
    what was the approx cost for the week with everything in ,ive heard its expensive but some of the prices like the £40 for a few beers and a carton of milk ,sounds like you would need a lottery win or a machine to print your own money .
    great post lads and thanks again for sharing ,

frank.

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Awesome report! The best and deffo the longest I've ever seen on here! Obviously a trip of a life time and I'm sure wil lgive you plenty to talk about for quite some time.

Big well done on the fish, both had cracking cod so you both must be happy. Though I suspect you've just screwed up your UK fishing for a bit :cheesy:

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Never mind John Wilsons Dream Fishing this has to be Lee and Simons Dream Fishing come true.

What a great write up Lee and fishing you will never forget well done to the both of you :cool:.
    Also the RNLI will apreciate what you lads have done :wink:.

Respect to the both of you and I am very envious :happy:.

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

Absoloutly quality pics and read . Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure . Top fishing .

14. deecee

deecee Blenny

Absolutely brilliant report . Many thanks for taking the time to post this. Truly inspirational.

15. Simon L

Simon L Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Yeah it was a trip of a life time for us :) and if any of you lot are thinking about going don't think too hard about the cost of stuff over there just go and enjoy it ;) The fishing was amazing and I thought I would never say 10-15lb cod were pest's!! lol. Thanks again to Lee for the trip and a cracking write up :) Also a huge thank you to Malcome Pitman from Whitby SeaFishing Supplies for all your help, You made us some fantastic gear, I will try and post some of my pics on here when I get 5 mins.

16. mr lee

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

The posts didn't take too long initially as I wrote them pretty much after each day whilst the majority of the details were still fresh in my mind. Loading pics to photobucket took a whil emind as my pc decided to throw a hissy and slow right down. :crazy:

As I've said, the whole trip was just amazing and it's hard to describe just how beautiful some of the places we drove through and saw really were!

As Si says, if anybody is thinking about it....Go for it! :yes:

17. mr lee

Hi Frank, The rough costings were just under £1400 for the holiday and the arvor boat, boat fuel was another £180. Accomodation costs were anywhere between £20-80 a night per room.

Meat is expensive up there! A small pack of bacon with a few skinny rashers in were about £7-8. Cigs were anywhere from £5.30 to £8.60. Beer is about £3-3.50 a can. Milk was around a quid a litre but you must buy the red topped cartons. Don't do as we did and guess. We got some soured buttermilk by mistake which instantly curdled as soon as it hit a cuppa. :vomit:

Most items though like bread and tinned foods are not that far off prices here.

Fuel was anywhere between £1.05 in Denmark to an average of £1.45 in Sweden and up to £1.60 in remote areas. Most take visa debit/credit cards too. We only had one place that didn't accept it and that was a pizza shop in Denmark. Pretty much all cash points have an English button so using the machines is easy although you seem to only be able to withdraw amounts in straight hundreds. 100DKK - 2000DKK or NKK, SKK whichever country you are in. The currency exchange rate varies but is generally around the 10 mark so 100NKK was around £10. Give or take a few pence.

On top of that we had insurance and breakdown cover, snow tyres to buy, full first aid kit, fire extinguisher and triangle etc to buy. You also need to carry hi vis jackets in the car at all times and a bulb kit. However, not once did we get checked for them.

There was also two major toll roads between Denmark and Sweden. The Malmo bridge and the one before it. You can pre-register for these and save a few quid but not much. We left it late though so just paid on the card as we passed it. The tolls are very efficient though and probably only cost you 2 or 3 minutes of your time. Costs vary dependant on what day and time it is too. Think one was 430DKK and one 310DKK or thereabouts. Around £70-75 each way.

OH...we were advised to avoid speaking to the girls in the bars. They chat you up, let you buy them drinks and then offer to jump in a taxi with you and fleece your money. Sounds like marriage to me!!! :laugh:

I would also like to say a huge thanks to Malcolm for all the goods he provided us with. The 'Pitman special' as we nicknamed it really did the business and landed the biggest fish all holiday as well as plenty of 20lb'ers to boot.

The wolffish though fell for Hokkais bizarrly enough when we were bait fishing. Horrible things but impressive all the same. When you get them on the boat you need to unhook them an dget them back sharpish apparently because once they realise they aren't in the water they go nuts snapping at anything nearby! One took a liking to the handle of the gaff and left some deep toothmarks in it! :scare: It didn't want to let go either!

One other thing too about the fuel, In winter they put an additive in it to stop it going waxy and fouling your injectors and pump. It's damn near bright yellow so don't be alarmed when you see it!

If you fly, I'd guess you should budget £100 each for boat fuel which should be more than enough, £100 for a weeks food each, again well over no doubt and then beer money. However much beer you like or can afford. If possible get cheap spirits from duty free and your cigs there.

Driving wise, I'd say....around £900 on diesel shared, £40 each per nights accomodation. We stayed in a really nice 5 star hotel for £78 for the room with breakfast. CHECK your insurance. Not many cover you to drive in Norway! Ours didn't and we had to pay an extra £98 for the priveledge. Something to do with them not being in Europe or the EU or something daft. Can't honestly recall which now. But do check! I'd say if you are going to have an accident, it will be on the mountains from Finland to Skjervoy round the fjords as the roads are steep and twisting and the roads coated in snow and ice. We went steady and didn't have so much as a slide. You really do have to trust your tyres. Took us a good 100 miles before I started to get used to them and knowing when I turned the wheel, the car went where it was meant to.

Snacks - Take loads if driving!!!!!! We munched through all manner of crisps, biscuits etc. :embarrass: Most brands are available to a degree in the supermarkets, Nescafe, heinz, HP etc.

The camp - Don't bother taking any cutlery, towels, bedding. It's all there and clean too. We took our own pillows though even though they are supplied.

Driving spares - We took quite a bit of spare stuff. Oils, lubricants, anti freeze, de-icer etc. Probably a wise move and a toolbox of basic stuff as some places are miles from anywhere if you do breakdown.

You must put Balazs mobile number into all phones before going out on the boat. The water is seriously cold and if you have an accident or breakdown you need to get in touch asap. You are supplied with a GPS unit for emergencies though but the phone signal is pretty good everywhere out on the water.

in most of teh cabins are huge maps with more marks on them. Worth a look but the points on the charts on the boats are more accurate. the 70 minute mark though is just a killer and will wear you out big time. 10-20lb cod are classed as pests!!!!!! I was over the moon with the 15-20lb'ers! :laugh:

Don't over complicate your trip though. Keep it simple if possible. Don't go mad taking loads of lead and different gear. We pretty much used hokkais for bait and wolffish, Pirks and the pitman specials for the cod and a simple one hook rig baited for the halibut. I bought loads of fancy stuff and never used half of it! A few large shads are worth while mind to have to hand. Make sure all your clips and swivels are strong as the weight of the big fish is unbelievable. Just a dead weight.

There is also a huge walk in freezer on site if you want to save loads to fetch home, you also have a freezer in your cabin if needs be.

I'll add more as I recall it and people ask for anything.

One question I asked myself as soon as I got home...Would I drive it again? Hell yeah! You get to see the REAL Scandinavia! Not just from a few miles up! You miss so much flying.

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

wow thats awesome. The shot of the eagle blew me away. Fish are top quality too. Im so envious.

19. mr lee

I still need to download the video of that and a load from the gopro too mate. It was a truly fantastic sight to watch it move in on the fish we had put back and scare the seagulls off then swoop down an dtake it. Possibly the highlight to the trip for me! Then it did it again when we threw it a second small coley. We lost out on bait but to watch the eagle work.....Awesome!

20. ian v

ian v Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thats the best report iv'e seen on the forum,absolute quality! Very envious....