1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Our 4000 mile roadtrip to Skjervoy, Norway! Trip report.

Discussion in 'All Time Best Topics' started by mr lee, Apr 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mr lee

mr lee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Before I start I need to just let you know the winners of our biggest fish comp. The L200 club came first guessing just one ounce out. Our biggest fish was a chunky cod of 40lb and 5oz. Second place was Carl Brierly off facebook and third was Alan McKirdy also off our facebook page. Thank you to all who entered or donated. Every penny was really appreciated and forwarded direct to the RNLI.

Right, on with the trip report.

Our trip starts from West Yorkshire, where we set off after loading our Mitsubishi L200 to the hilt with all the fishing gear we would need and more. We headed down the A1 on good Friday, a mistake most would say to travel on a bank holiday but we actually had good traffic all the way to Harwich, sadly the same couldn’t be said for those travelling north on the A1 as it was closed due to a bad accident. We arrived at Harwich docks with plenty of time to spare so a quick nip into Morrisons was in order to stock up on pies. We made our way to the ferry check in and had a brief delay to boarding. The trip on the ferry was a comfortable one through the day, however, the same couldn’t be said for the night crossing as we pretty much had to hold on to our beds to prevent ourselves being thrown out of them. Costs of food and drink on the ferry were quite high too. A coffee costs £2.50, a beer £6.50 and food more so. Duty free’s were cheap enough with 200 cigarettes costing around £41.

Once we landed at Esgberg it was a very quick and simple exit from the ferry terminal and onto the roads. Fuel stations are aplenty with the first one we found less than a mile from the terminal so we took advantage of the cheap fuel. Our route saw us head off on the E20 road which was very straight forward. Flowed well with little traffic to bother us. The biggest issue was remembering which way to go round roundabouts and which way to look at crossings. We made our way off towards the two toll bridges at Malmo. The toll fees seem to vary at different times of the day and week. Expect to pay between £30 and £40 each crossing. The Malmo bridge is something else too. Very long and pretty high to boot. Once you come off the bridge it is only a short run to the E20/E6 road north. Our plan was to stay in Huskvarna. We made really good time heading there and called in for fuel at a roadside station. It was here when we decided to abandon our plan of staying locally. As we entered the fuel station there was some form of car cruise happening with large gangs of youths in old motors that looked like something from Cuba, playing loud music and being very vocal and boisterous. It was quite intimidating to be fair so we took the decision to move on. The town of Huskvarna looked quite tired and dirty too. Something about it just didn’t rest easy with us.
    We had travelled about an hour further north and by now the time was against us for finding somewhere to stay so we looked on booking.com for somewhere to sleep. A hotel was chosen that was listed as 5 minutes away. However, once we had paid and confirmed our booking, when we put the full details given into our sat nav, it became apparent something was wrong as this hotel was actually 100 miles south of us in Denmark. Hmmm….anyway, between us and bokking.com we cancelled our booking and got our money back.
    We headed further north towards Stockholm sure we would find some accommodation. We pulled into a truck stop to make a hot drink and a bite to eat as we had wisely taken a trangia for moments on the mountain passes where we wished to stop for a drink and to take in the sheer beauty of what Sweden had to offer. Once back on the road we felt fresh and awake after being stood outside in minus 3 making a drink so chose to just go for it and clear Stockholm at night. We assumed it would be easier later than mid morning with full traffic. We were right and put in just under 800 miles from Esbjerg before we pulled into another truckstop and called it a day at 4am. We had proper arctic sleeping bags with us so parked in a corner of a rest station and got our heads down for a few hours well earned rest.
    We awoke at around 7/7.30am to a fantastic sunrise and blue skies. Freshened up and made use of the truckstops bathrooms at Gavle and had a look at the route we had planned for the day. Now because we had got far further than planned we were infront of ourselves which was going to make today a breeze of a run. Again, the roads were unbelievably quite. If we passed or had more than 30 cars pass us in an hour then I could well be over estimating it. Our destination today was the town of Orns-koldsvik. We arrived there after a very scenic run around 3.30pm local time. However, accommodation here was very hard to find as there is a big university locally and something happening in the town which meant all rooms were booked unless we wanted to pay in excess of £150 a room. We hit the road again and looked for a roadside hotel or hostel and around an hour later drove into Umea. The hotels are shown on the roadside on blue banners with a bed. We followed one sign which took us to the Hotel Aurum. A four star high quality place. Upon asking we were informed rooms were available for just £84 for a twin room, free wifi, pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and breakfast. Well who would pass up that offer? Not us that’s for sure. So a well earned rest was had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mr lee

Denmark and sweden on the drive up were stunning!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mr lee

More images from our drive before we got there...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mr lee

The roads were horrendously busy....... :laugh:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. mr lee

The morning after was another stunning sunny day with temperatures of around -1. We set off with a view of heading up to Jukkasjarvi, the home of the ice hotel. As we got closer we looked for rooms but could only find accommodation costing around £130+. We drove on towards our final destination of Skjervoy hoping to find a roadside hotel. After a few hours driving on yet more quiet roads we passed through Ovre-Soppero and saw a roadside showing beds available. We pulled in and asked at reception to be informed it was actually a hostel and rooms were available for the sum of £21. Booked!!! The rooms were very clean and tide with tv, shower etc but no wifi. Seeing how clean they were we booked back in again for the way home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mr lee

Tuesday morning….and the cold finally lets us know how harsh it can be. We started to load the truck up in temperatures of minus 14!!!! We had accidently left two bottles of water in the car only to find the cold had turned them into 2Ltr solid blocks of ice. The sky was overcast and very light snow was falling. We hit the roads after a coffee and wishing the staff at the hostel well and straight away found out how well the snow tyres gripped. We pulled out of the steep car park with ease and onto the road.

Our trip was an interesting one with sheer ice stretches on the roads and snow galore to cope with. Literally an hour later we arrived at the border of Finland with no checks or stopping, probably because there didn’t seem to be any staff around. The countryside flattened out with far stretching views of the mountains covered in a brilliant white coating of fresh snow. We headed up into the mountains towards the border of Norway and had some hairy turns and descents on ice to contend with. Again though, we had nothing to be concerned about as the pick up coped with it as it does clean dry tarmac. The views from the top of the mountains were simply breath-taking now as the sky had cleared and the sun put in a welcome appearance once more.

As we wound our way down into the valleys below and Norway we pulled into a spar for some refreshments and essentials. £46 later and only having a carton of milk and 12 beers to show for it, we were feeling a little shocked. We were warned Norway wasn’t cheap though…The roads passed quickly as did the miles and soon we saw our first signpost for Skjervoy. The excitement in the truck was building now as we made our way down the snow covered passes and over the bridges. We finally pulled into the fishekamp road and found our host Balazs. A very friendly chap who couldn’t do enough for us. He showed us our chalet right by the water and boats. A lovely little spot with probably the best views too. We were given a run down of how the boat works and the charts and sonar which was all pretty straight forward. With paperwork signed, Simon and me pretty much raced back to our chalet to get kitted up and out while we could.

We headed successfully out of the harbour and out to sea. The sonar was showing fish to a spot beneath us so down the lines went. Within seconds of hitting the bottom the red pirk was into a fish. Nothing huge but it was a fish so no blanking today! As the pirk started to surface a small codling had taken the hook and was boated. Swiftly followed by a ling and more codling. It went quiet swiftly after so we moved off to another mark on the chart. Again, in no time at all Simon was into a big fish. I hadn’t even hit bottom with my shad at this point so wound back up to assist Simon if needed. A short fight later a 12lb fat cod was on the boat and one pleased fisherman was grinning from ear to ear.

We fished a while longer although couldn’t find the fish any longer at this point. The weather had picked up by now too and was starting to rock the boat around a fair bit so we wound up and headed back in. Tonight we would eat well. A nice cod supper freshly caught with our own hands. As the night drew in we both reflected on the distance we had travelled and where we were. A beer or two were consumed and an early night planned ready for tomorrows fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. mr lee

More pics....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mr lee

Wednesday morning, a late start for us as we don’t rise until 8:30ish. As we opened the curtains we were greeted by a sheet of heavy white snow falling. The pick up truck was covered as were all the boats. Simon and me decided to delay our fishing today and head down to the shop for bread and milk after our last efforts at buying milk saw us pouring some soured buttermilk into our cuppas. Not pleasant I can assure you! A quick hike down the road or up if you want the exercise and we soon had the essentials to hand and headed back to the cabin.

I doubt the door had fully closed before the kettle was on and bread in the toaster. Once full of caffeine and toast we got kitted up and made our way down to our Arvor boat. The snow was still falling and the sea was quite choppy with a big swell. We tried our first mark but struggled to hold on to the boat and fish so headed into a fjord with better weather cover and abandoned our plans to steam up the coast to where reports of bigger fish were being told.

We both set up our rods and opted for the Malcolm Pitman special rigs, Simon on the twin coloured squid and me on the large orange worm style flapper. Fish were showing on the sounder so we both dropped down into the depths. As before within a few minutes we were into small codling with an average size of 1-2lb. We were starting to drift in a bit now so moved back out a bit and manoeuvred the arvor easily to where we wanted it. For anybody interested, they are so simple to use. Again we dropped down and a short time passed before we saw fish again.

When we planned this trip, we both said we really didn’t want to catch a ‘wolffish’. You can guess what was next on the boat…Yup! One of those awful, grey, toothy critters snapping away at our hands, boots and anything else near it. It had been foul hooked unfortunately so was harder to unhook safely without losing a digit or two. Naturally, Simon and me made it look harder than it should have been to unhook and return it. We didn’t bother to weigh it as it didn’t seem too happy at all to be on the boat with us. We dropped again in the same spot to see if we could land anything else there but it had all gone quiet by now so we wound up and moved on again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cod.ling1973

cod.ling1973 I will cast more than 100 yards one day :-)

Wow thats the stuff dreams are made off some stunning photos :yes:
    Fantastic report mate really enjoyed reading it.

John d

10. mr lee

Our next spot was back out in open water again and it was still a huge sea. A massive swell and breaking waves throwing the boat all over. The snow was still falling hard and the wind made staying out on the boat hard work. We tried a spot that had the sounder calling out and was showing fish 20m down. No matter what rig/shad/pirk etc we tried we couldn’t get a bite and by now we were tiring of being launched around the boat so wound up and moved again.

We steamed up the coast for about 30 minutes and headed round an island to get better shelter. We trolled around a bit looking for areas with decent ground and signs of fish on the sounder. A small area about 200m north of a large fish farm.. ..we dropped down with a few different shads, pirks etc again but nothing was taking our hooks sadly so eventually we steamed off again round the island and came across some nice ground. Once stopped and lines in the water a few more smaller codling were boated and returned to fight another day. This carried on a short while before it all went quiet.

We moved again to what is locally known as ‘bird ****’ island. Once there you understand why. A huge colony of gulls and other black large winged things all live and breed there. We hung about here with lines in the water as the weather picked up again. The sea was becoming more unbearable all the time and the swell getting worse. After 40 minutes of fishing this area over ground and nothing to show for our efforts we called it a day and headed back in. A quick freshen up and food was the order of the day. We had fish last night so tonights was a pasta and tomato based meal washed down with a few cold beers. The snow had decided to show it’s head again and continued through the night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mr lee

Thursday…greeted us with sunshine and a fresh crisp morning. We had been told about a mark 70 minutes north of the camp which was renowned for producing big cod. Today was the day we decided to go after them. We steamed out of harbour with the Arvor steadily running at 2000rpm until we were in clear water then opened her up to get to our mark.

The early start we had would ensure we made the most of our day and maximise our fishing time. Soon enough we arrived at our mark and shut down the engine and dropped our lines over the side. Roughly 70 meters down to the sea bed. Would the big cod show for us today we were wondering. We didn’t have to ponder for too long as we both had fish on within minutes. The ‘take’ wasn’t aggressive or largely noticeable, just a heavy dead weight for a few turns of the reels. Only a few times did the fish fight on the way up. What was noticeable was the weight of them when lifting and winding in.

we started to pull cod after cod onto the boat all averaging around the 15lb mark. We had been warned this happens and they become a pest after a while. A 15lb cod at home could never be classed as a pest. We returned pretty much all we caught as we weren’t taking fish home for the table. Only the ones that wouldn’t go back were kept.

We had fished the area for at least 90 minutes now and no other boats were in sight. The only company Simon and myself had was the fish and the stunning snow covered mountains. I dropped my line back down again with the big red and black pirk on and carried on my jigging motion when as before, my rod bent and the weight went heavy. Only this time it was heavier than normal. This was a decent fish on. I pumped and wound as the fish slowly and adamantly made it’s way to the surface. My arms were starting to tire rapidly now from reeling previous cod to the boat and this fish was putting extra strain on them. After what seemed like an age, my leader line surfaced and the shape of the fish came into view.

Cod…a big cod by our standards. Simon grabbed the gaff and readied himself as I brought it to the side of the boat. Carefully he lifted it onto the boat and it was unhooked. As I lifted it I knew it was a nice size and we got the scales ready. 35lb and 3oz. Fantastic, a personal best for me. Once carefully returned we both had huge grins on our faces and thanked each other for the help in landing such a beautiful fish.

Simon dropped back down again while I had a break as it felt like my arm was going to explode. Again, he pulled in cod on each drop. He too soon started to comment on how his arms were aching and would have another drop before a break and a coffee. If only he knew what was to come as his line made it’s way to the sea bed. Within a minute of it hitting the sand, his Pitman special rig had been taken by another large cod. His arms pumped up as he wound the reel and I recall laughing at his facial expressions knowing exactly how he felt.

Sure enough, his leader exited the water and his prize came into sight. I grabbed the gaff and readied myself as he brought it alongside the boat. Nerves at this stage are high as you don’t want to lose it so close to the boat. As it’s tail cleared the side rail we both breathed a huge sigh of relief. It was bigger than the one I had landed we could tell before we even weighed it. Once unhooked it was put on the scales. 40lb 5oz. An absolute beast of a fish for us. A few quick pictures were taken and the fish returned. Neither of us could imagine hauling another one up of a similar or heavier weight so made the decision to move off this site.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mr lee

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

A class report there bud it looks amazing

14. mr lee

After tiring on the 70 minute mark and with our arms hanging off We motored for about 30 minutes south into a covered bay as the swell was picking up by now too and stopped over some ground which looked quite promising. Rigs/pirks were chosen and down we dropped to the sea bed 35 meters below. After a few smaller codling were brought up and returned we were both pretty much worn out so called it a day and steamed back in.

Friday 13th.
    Glorious sunshine and flat seas were not the order of the day as 30 foot swells had been predicted for 12 o clock. We had been advised to be back in the harbour for then if possible. We steamed out to a short mark about 5 minutes away for a bit of light sport of the coleys. For over an hour we pulled them out and returned them before the sea picked up and we headed in. This was also an ideal opportunity to call up to the coop for more supplies. There are two large food stores in the village, one on your way in at the top of the hill and one down in the main village. We got what we needed and headed back for a relaxing day of trying to understand Norwegian tv. Just a note for anybody buying beer in Skjervoy, the supermarkets can only serve alcohol between the hours of 10am to 6pm. After that you can only get it in the liquor store or the local pub down in the village.

Saturday
    More sunshine and flat seas. We steamed out to the 70 minute mark again early on and once on sight dropped down with our chosen rigs. Red pirks and pitman special rigs again as we knew they worked. We got hammered by the sub 20lb cod though and after a while had to give up as we were tiring rapidly in our arms from pulling them up. We just couldn’t find the big fish today.

We headed back to a known halibut area and tried for those but even they wouldn’t entertain us today and it ended up being a cod day right up to the point simon landed himself a torsk. Again, the two kids were scared of a little fish and its yellow teeth and swiftly got it back in the water. Not much else happened today as we were still fighting the tired feelings and after a quiet afternoon headed back in for a cold beer and food.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mr lee

Sunday
    As is usual on this trip we wake up to a light snow fall and cold winds. We headed down to the jetty, filled the boat up and headed out into the great blue fjords. As we exited the harbour the water was pretty choppy and almost unfishable as we struggled to stay on our marks for more than 2 minutes. We tried our first spot but after being pushed off it quickly we chose to move closer to inner waters.

Out of the swell and choppy water we found a nice spot showing some fantastic ground so down the pirk went and the Pitman special. Instantly we were once again in to codling but only small 1lb’ers… after a time we moved on again and armed with some bait, coley flappers, we tried again for halibut. Alas it wasn’t to be as we blanked again on the big flat fella’s.

By now the wind had picked up again and it was bitterly cold so we both called time and headed back into the harbour. With the boat parked up we were once again back in our warm cabin and as any Yorkshire man does, drinking tea. We watched as other boats came back in early with the usual Russians keeping anything they caught for taking back home. We felt bad for keeping 5 fish to date, quite why when you saw what the Germans and Russians were landing and filleting I don’t know. Some of the hauls they were bringing back were obscene. Numerous times they asked for more freezer boxes. So much for the 15kg limit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. mr lee

Monday
    Our last day’s fishing in skjervoy. For once we awoke to blue skies and sunshine. The wind chill however was something we really wasn’t ready for. We were fully kitted up in thermals, numerous layers and full floatation suits but the wind was seriously cutting. If we took our thermal gloves off within two minutes we could feel the cold cutting into our skin. It was painful at times so full thermal gloves were the order of the day.

We got out of the harbour and headed out to a mark on the charts 30 minutes away. The sea was once again showing us who was the boss with its rough choppy waves. After 20 minutes of fishing into a painfully cold headwind we had to move to more shelter and headed back into the inner fjords for some cover. Here we found some more ground with sharp drops and gulleys, perfect for fish we thought. Although after trying in vain for over an hour and only having sub 2lb codlings to show for our efforts we decided to move on.

Back out into open waters and the sea was no better so two tired fishermen decided to call it a day and head in to clean the boat and all our gear. Our fishing days in Skjervoy had come to an end for this year. We had some fantastic fishing up here with some days showing easily over 70-80 cod a morning. That was until we had to move before our arms were about to fall off.

Skjervoy is a fantastic fishing mecca for any serious boat angler. You just need to read the charts, speak to locals and the other anglers in camp to really get the best out of it. You also need deep pockets as the arvor boats do drink some fuel when going out to the 70 minute marks. In a week we used about £180's worth of diesel. However, we would rather have the comfort and stability of the Arvor than the ali open boats which we would assume would be better for calmer days in summer.

The vllage has all you need too, pub, banks, supermarkets, (the top one as you enter skjervoy is cheaper) gift shops etc. The locals all enjoy speaking English as they like the practice. Some conversations are hardwork but they understand you and you can understand them. The biggest issue for us was the wifi signal. It was non existant in our cabin (number [8)] but a small price to pay for being right at the bottom of the hill by the boats so less of a walk each day. Balazs, the camp manager did offer us keys to the empty cabins mind so we could connect to it when we needed it. So you can’t really complain about that.

Balazs is a nice guy and always had our fuel ready for each morning and our boat was ready when we arrived. The cabins are spot on and clean. All quite modern and spacious. There was only two of us in our cabin though so we had even more room than most to spread out and leave our clutter everywhere. The filleting room was literally 50 yards away from our cabin and the boats probably 75 yards so really good access. Just watch our for ice if the sun shows it's head in the day as once night comes, that slush turns to solid ice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mr lee

The dark Island is Birdsh1t island. get too close and you really do find out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mr lee

Tuesday
    The day we leave Skjervoy. Again we awoke to blue skies and a light chill. We had semi packed our pick up with our fishing gear the night before and by 9am we were fully done and on our way. Well, after paying our fuel bill. They do prefer cash if possible so take that into account. There is a cash machine though down in the village at the bank.

Our destination was Over-supperro in Lappland. Close to Jukkasjarvvi (home of the ice hotel. ) We stayed here on our way up and had re-booked for our way home. The drive back was made easier as the snow had fully cleared with minimal patches of ice left on the roads. Our snow and ice tyres coped really well with it all though. We had now started to trust them in corners and not once did they let us down.

As we left we were still stunned by the scenery and the views around the fjords we drove around. The roads are easy to drive but a bit rough and bumpy in places. You have to watch out for moose and reindeer though when passing the woodland areas as they just walk out randomly and once one goes….the whole herd follow. We have video footage of one section of the E10 where we had to stop and allow a herd to cross. I'll try to sort the video's we took out soon. Eventually with no problems we reached our venue of Over-supperro and our hotel/hostel. A small place with a restaurant and a set of nice rooms in a communal house with kitchen and all the facilities you will need. It worked out to roughly £20 each a night.

We had brought a frozen box of cod back with us as a gift as they were so good in letting us stay before as they were actually closed. They were thrilled to have fish in their freezers once again as they struggle to get it when busy. The families who lived in the surrounding cabins were all Sammi tribe who herd and move their own reindeer up and down their grounds monthly. Rather than mess about cooking ourselves we chose to eat in their restraurant. The menu was limited compared to a 5 star hotel but still pleased us.

Typical of us being Yorkshire lads we chose the burger and chips option as we had missed out on these for almost a week and a half. What was presented to us though was above and beyond our expectations. A huge plate of chips and a whopping burger. Good? Bloody fantastic it was!!!! It was only after we found out it was actually reindeer meat, so our kids may never forgive us for eating Rudolph but it was one seriously tasty burger.

As we tried to settle our bill though before our early start we were informed because we had been so kind in giving them the fish they were waiving our hotel fees completely. Result! A free stay with only a great meal to pay for. Cost? About £10 if that. The Sammi tribe we stayed with are deeply Christian and have their own church on site and we respected that whilst there. Simon retired early to bed as the drive had worn him out, whilst I chose to stay up and chat with some Swedish guys who were working nearby.

Whilst outside one called me to inform me the northern lights were finally putting in an appearance. Out I dashed minus a jacket which was a mistake as it was minus 8. The green hue of a moving cloud of ‘gas’ was something else. It was slightly overcast but still very visible and I had seen them! Another tick off the wishlist. We watched them for roughly 20 minutes before the cold became unbearable and the lights started to disappear. After a bit more chatter and a shared bottle of whiskey with them I had with me and it was soon time for me to turn in. I probably learnt more about reindeer movements and how important they are than reading any internet reports. The Swedish guys worked for the government liasing with the Sammi tribes, forestry commision and the mining companies. They collate all the movements of the reindeer herds and when they are moving, ask them to photograph the land and compile reports so everybody is happy as to what they can cut/mine etc and when.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mr lee

Wednesday
    Not much to report…..we were up at 6:30am and out at 7am. The temperature was minus 9 and bloody cold again. The miles passed by pretty quickly which was good as we had a 900km run planned for today. As usual, things didn’t go as planned and we ended up doing 1276km before we finally came to a small sign showing b&b below Vagle.

Our original destination was closed down even though it allowed us to book it. Annoying but this turned out to be a bonus when we found the B&B. A small village just off the E4. We ended up at a small café in the middle of nowhere where a lovely little old lady had a ‘room’ we could rent for £40 just 2km's away. We followed he from her café down the road and into the woods, down some dirt tracks and was by now starting have concerns. However, what we came upon was nothing we were prepared for. A stunning little complex in absolutely mint surroundings. A brand new extension on the side of her house with 4 bedrooms in a shared chalet. We had the whole place to ourselves and had once again, landed on our feet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. mr lee

The rest of our journey was pretty mundane really in comparison to what we had seen and the places we had visited. The main dual carriage way down through Sweden is so easy to drive down. traffic is pretty much non existant both ways. The surrounding farms and buildings are all as scenic to a degree as most other areas. Occasionally you come across planes mounted high up on posts. Other than that once we got down to Malmo we stayed in the F1 hotel. Hotel? Phah! Be warned, if you stay here you have no shower or toilet in your room. The rooms are cheap and nasty and ours didn't smell to pleasant. Nothing to do with us might I add.

Our last night saw us head to Ribe near Esbjerg. A hostel which cost us about £50 for both of us for th enight with free wifi but no tv. We walked into the village with is really nice in the search for some food. There is the usual pizza places and pubs serving food but what caught our attention was the Chinese buffet sign on the A board outside. £15 eat all you can. Now to date our diets had comprised of pot noodles whilst driving and a lot of pasta and fish based meals in Skjervoy. So a meat and noodle buffet......Bang on! In we went and a few piled high platefulls later we were heading back to our digs to grab some sleep. To be fair, the driving wore us out more than we expected due to a few long days. The village has some amusing signs which are pretty normal to them but to us read differently as you will see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]