1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onwards and upwards?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Mar 5, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

The Brid 2 dayer signals the end of the competative fishing season for me although there are 1 or 2 matches to go before summer. Now as much as i love pleasure fishing it,s the competitions which drive me on. One thing that is blatantly obvious to me is the need to get to know the Holderness coast and try to understand how it fishes. It may all look similar but in that chocolate coloured water there will be fish highways which with a bit of understanding and a lot of perseverance will become a little clearer. Changing winds, tides and shifting sands making it even more difficult. The biggest problem in getting to know that coastline i find is the lack of fish, although this year has been an exception. There is no better way of learning how a beach fishes than having hoardes of anglers fishing each side of you, but when no one is catching anything you,ve learned zilch! Maybe a lot of us have missed the boat by 25 years on the Holderness coast and will never really get a chance to learn it now. That said it won,t stop me trying :p

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What sort of things will you be doing Ramrod ? Visits on the big spring tides with a camera ?

Might get a really decent spring run down there Ray ?

There are lots of other species to try for down that way too. Macky says the real fishing starts in summer.

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thats just it Glen you do a recce, find a gulley or some sort of feature then 2 weeks later it,s gone! Time is my biggest enemy at the minute.In summer time most of my efforts are put into bait collecting. Being realistic the only chance i have is when i fish the matches down there, but with it usually fishing so patchy it,s hard to build up a picture of whats going on. There,s not too many anglers to my knowledge who fish down there and consistantly feature in the top few places in the opens, which goes to show how hard it is to predict the fish patterns because there are some very good anglers down there.

4. Howard

Howard Blenny

In the good old days- 80s , given a decent tide in the winter months most places would fish on the beaches and you could turn up blind, in daylight and catch. Nowadays (I m no expert and have had a poor year) the best plan is to travel up and down on a big tide and look for gullys,holes or the steepest bit of beach you can find and fish that , that is what I ve found anyway and judging by the amount of traffic racing around at these times it is what a lot of anglers are doing. If there is plenty of colour it will fish for cod in daylight. Good luck.

5. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Cheer,s Howard. When you fished it years ago did you find there was a pattern as to how it fished. If so do those pattern,s still exist when there are fish around today? When i fished on Saturday i caught a cod at 11.45, on the Sunday i fished the same place and caught a cod at 12.15 which i would guess as been virtually the same state of tide. I have noticed after fishing around that area that often there are 3 states of the tide when it seems to chuck a fish or two out but in between these times it,s usually dead. Did you find there was a particular state of the tide when the fish came really close in. I have tried various things while fishing, different rigs and distances but usually there are so few fish it,s hard to locate them with any regularity.

6. macky

macky New Member

Im no expert on this coast ray, far from it but i have fished it week in, week out
    for the last 10 years with some brilliant success, and can tell u a few things that i have learnt over the seasons

Dont get the tunnel vision when it comes to fishing the gullys and holes in the beaches, more often than not its not the case
    a lot of occasions this year the fish have been on the flat sand
    esspecially one match at dimmlington in dec
    the flat sand to the left produced 5 bags of 19lb, 23lb, 24lb, 21lb and 18lb
    and the lads fishing the deep hole 100 yds to the right blanked, barr one or 2 yting.

The summer i tend to fish the gate ways to a hole or the side of the banks for the rays and bass,
    but the hounds just tend to like flat sand with bits of broken ground in between.
    i'll only tend to fish the holes when its very rough in the summer.

as for feeding times, yea, ther is distinct patterns,
    2 hours after low, 2 hours before top and 2 hours after top and 2 hours before bottom
    at these times on most beaches i would expect a fish if it was a little slow.

mack

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I've never fished Holderness but a general rule I follow for any beach is to be in the hole when its heavy and outside or around the edges when there's slight movement. I'm sure you all know that already but just thought I'd throw my tuppence in.

Lad I used to fish with swore fish would always come in one end of the hole and leave by the other, I never saw any real evidence of this but did usually manage to catch more codling if you could locate a part of a hole with and entrance or exit point in the back sandbar.

8. Howard

Howard Blenny

May be Mack thats why ive had a crap year-Tunnel Vision ;D The thing about the flat sand thing could well be true but there is just so much of it. Its like fishing on a boat and catching nowt , knowing theres a wreck a few 00yds away you just get drawn to them dont you?
    Broadly speaking though I think its spot on on the tide ive had more fish in those time slots than at other times (winter ,cause dont do summer-CRABS!)although this year Im going to give it a go.
    Ive had 5lb codling afew times very close in 20-30yds at hw just by having a daft go when is goes quiet. One thing though fishing the beach noadays is unpredictable and you have to put the hours in.

9. Peeping John

Peeping John Blenny

Same here re- fish times on Sat caught my fish at 2.10 pm on Sun it was 3.10 approx so exact state of tide. Hadn't had a bite before that and then the codling and Yting came on.
    Fished a comp down there about a month ago and was directed to a certain beach by my Guru down there and for 90 mins fished the deepest part of the beach (not where he had instructed ) I then set off onthe quarter mile walk to where he had sent me . The flattest part of the beach had 5 codling and lost just as many in probably 90 mins, wasn't another rod within 800 yds either side of me,
    I've also tried the short cast treatment normally at the end of a non productive session with a load of bait left over, and can,t say it's ever done me any good. I did hear the winning fish on Sat was from a cast only 30 yds though.

10. mww

mww Rockling

Ray

When we first started going down to Holderness many years ago, mainly fishing the big fish Open Comps - Feedex (as it was), Daiwa, etc, the basic advice we were given was big fish from flat seas on flat beaches - this seems to agree with much of the above advice - Hilston/ Ringborough/ Grimston were usually flat beaches & seemed to throw the bigger fish out on a regular basis. Now, the problem is, if a beach is flat, then how do you increase the odds of you getting that fish!! Suppose distance....bait....etc....

Mart

11. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I must admit i,ve had my limited success on the flat areas of the beach and usually at distance but i try to keep an open mind as to where they might be. I,ve concentrated on Out Newton for years now as it,s a good banker for a cod especially when fish are scarce but when there are plenty of fish around the bigger ones usually come from further north, usually when there is a good sea running. The problem i have is i always assume that there will be little caught so head there almost every time. I have experienced some success there in the Feedex and Diawa matches and a 1st 2nd and a 3rd in some lesser matches but again this was when fish were thin on the ground, so it,s not all doom and gloom but it,s a poor return for the ammount of matches i have fished over the years. I decided a few years ago to try a few other places and guess where the fish came from! :p Thanks for your posts lads it,s good to see how you all fish it because it all helps in trying to gain the big picture.

12. smokey

smokey Rockling

Whenever i fish the matches down there,the one thing i definitely notice is when there is no movement,the big casters with top bait always seem to get the majority of fish.But when there is a decent sea running,i have seen more big fish come from right under your feet,sometimes 20-30 yards out,usually on piddly little baits. :)