1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old esk reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bulltrout, Oct 30, 2011.

1. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

thanks for the info lads ,i have spoken to lots of my salmon fishing pals this week & by all accounts itsbeen a dismal yr nationwide except i was told of 1 guy who fished the shrimp all yr on the ribble takeing 30 fish ?? i remember the lancashire lads comeing to fish the tyne in very low water murdering them on the floated shrimp !! i wasnt impressed :angry:

2. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have to admit i know very little about the fishing on the Leven, but it is a lovely little river, it used to get a run of migratory s, i remember 20 years ago when i stayed in Hutton Rudby in October the was a rise in water and there were plenty of local rods out with the spinners.
    Don't know what the run of migratory fish is like today.

Can you not get into Hutton Rudby AC Davo?

3. Davo

Davo Rockling

4. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

an interesting report from 1974

[​IMG]

5. bulltrout

Can you remember this flood?Ive heard tales of salmon running along the road between ruswarp and slieghts and getting caught in fences in fields at ruswarp when this happened . I know it was a very hot summer that year with no rain

[​IMG]

6. bulltrout

cheers skunkhead, I have some old t&s mags kickin about in me shed used to collect them, the reports were good to look back on and help you if you were ging to fish somewhere but since the internet i dont feel the need to buy it anymore all the info you need is all on the various websites and forums.

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

The reports must be from the Trout and Salmon ,cant see many magazines being around in 1976 dedicated to game angling.
    I started collecting in March 1982 and the price was 75 pence.
    The front page showed an early fish from Loch Tay.
    And the title reads Scottish Spring Salmon Issue.
    Better keep the mag out i might learn something.

The thing that caught my eye was the Scaleing Dam report and the size of the fish in the report.

8. bulltrout

they are out of the trout and salmon mags mate when i get a minute i,ll stick some reports on from the 70s from the tees, wear and tyne

9. Davo

Davo Rockling

Got some from the 1970's myself Steve.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Have you noticed in your old Trout and Salmon magazines that most of the spinning anglers used the wooden devons.
    You never hear much about the Devon Minnows these days.
    I always was fasinated by the small metal devon minnows that were sold in Bells Sports Shop in Dovecoat Street. They certainly caught my eye, even though i never got round to catching a fish on a small devon minnow.
    I saw some small devon minnows on E-Bay and fancied getting some to try on the wild reservoirs of Teesdale. :happy:

11. bucko

bucko New Member

You don't have to look too hard!
    http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23423.0

Also, the Coquet fishers swear by them.

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Thank you for the information.
    I will look into the devon minnow companies website and see what they have to offer.
    I have some Plastic devon bodies that are unpainted and which i bought in kit form when i first decided to fish for salmon on the tyne and coquet but lost too much gear spinning and prefered the double hander with waddingtons.