1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old esk reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bulltrout, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

I havent been on for a while now dave . I was actually thinking about going up with some bread and worms the weekend . see what happens . went over leven bridge the other day ,
    i would love to be able to fish that pool again , some nice fish in there . i once remeembr watching a couple of big perch hammering the fry tight upto the bank one evening , awsome sight , crystal clear water too ...
    Im even jealous of them twa ts who live in them houses down there , and keep wishing the leven will flood again .... :evil: :evil: :laugh: :laugh:
    I shouldnt say that , im kidding ... :cheesy:

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Aye, its a shame the pools gone, but at least the buildings were saved to some degree and not derelict anymore. I thought they were going to fall onto the road once over.

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Cant see what the River Leven has got to do with the Esk. :confused:
    I would think that Yorkshire is the Link.
    Both have a weir on them .
    The Leven has had its Weir at Leven Bank fitted with a fish ladder.
    The Yorkshire Esk at Whitby Town could be getting a new Weir on its tidal streach.
    Whitby will get much needed tourists through the introduction of a new marina for small crafts and i can see Kayaking and other water sports benefitting .
    If our canoe sportspeople bring a medal home in the 2012 Olympics i can see an even greater reason for building a Weir at Whitby. :happy:

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

If you read the posts "properly" Peter you will see the link and why its also developed discussing the Leven.

5. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I just find it such a shame that anyone growing up in Whitby won't get a fair crack at experiencing Salmon-Sea Trout fishing even though they have a fantastic river on thier door step.
    I was in my late twenties before i discovered the joys of real fishing, up until then i thought all rivers were the same as the Esk (not for Joe Bloggs) boy did i have my eyes opened, when you see what is available and the price it's available for.
    I have since had the pleasure of fishing some of the best Salmon and Sea Trout rivers in England, but i've still not had a good crack at a decent beat of the Yorkshire Esk and don't suppose i ever will.

6. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

about 11-12 years ago i started fishing away from the esk , up scotland over the lake district and the bigger better northeast rivers the tees wear coquet and the Tyne rivers, now i rarely fish the esk and to be honest am not to bothered about not being able to fish the better beats, i still have a go down slieghts now an again as im only 5 mins away but i would rather drive an hour or 2 to more accessable water than fish the esk or pay simon fosters enflated prices to fish his stretch of river( beck)at egton estates

7. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

just out of intrest is there any EFA lads on the forum ? if so is it worth the money ?

8. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Gone over the posts. Nothing.
    Studied the title .Nothing
    Simple enough ?.Question. You been on the Leven lately Dave? .Still nothing.
    Will try again .
    I had permission to fish the River Leven for free . I knew the last Landlord of the Pub before it closed.

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Well i got advised by a lad that was in the efa , he told me he wouldnt put anybody off joining if they could afford it as its supposed to be fantastic water . if you work it out it works out very cheap if your willing to put the time in . I mean how much is egton estate water £55 quuid a day and its all pre booked fishing on egton ?
    Ide love to be in it as its just so local and i could virtually get on it within the drop of a hat which is what i have learnt is key to having good fishing .
    But like you say for the money there is some fantastic water all over the north east at a fraction of what it costs to fish the esk , but the esk is the esk .

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Does Egton Estates have a full membership for their club water.
    If they have then it must be worth paying for in these difficult times.

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

Put your glasses on Peter.

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Funny you ask me that davo. I dont need glasses because i only have vision in one eye after haveing had an accident in on 4 november 1983.
    I use a monocular or a magnifying glass these days if i need to read any fine details or watch the Seals at the Teesbarrage.

13. Teesdale

With you all the way there Bulltrout, although i would still love to fish the Esk as i love small scenic rivers, but it don't bother me to much as i have accepted it won't happen.
    What does make me laugh though is when the EFA and Egton Estates ask for donations towards the upkeep to the river, they wouldn't get a penny of my money.

14. Davo

Davo Rockling

I fished the Esk along the usual free and Danby stretches until i started fishing the Wear years ago, but i still found that i missed fishing the Esk, even the likes of the Danby stretch. But one obvious part of fishing is catching fish, and thats were the Wear came in, but if i had an option of catching half a dozen Seatrout from the Esk, and a hundred from the Wear, i'd take the Esk everytime. I think its because thats where i started fishing for Seatrout. When it comes to catching Salmon though, there's nowhere better than the Tees, in my opinion.

15. Teesdale

Yeah there's nowhere better to catch Salmon that the Tees for me also, a fantastic river with great opertuneities.

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

It is frustrating though Teesdale not having access to the best Esk pools, but with reference to the Leven earlier, its similar on that river too but mainly for brown trout fishing. Have you ever tried getting any info about Skutterskelf Syndicate? I pm'd a member of this forum for info-but no reply. Nothing to say the member may not have got my pm though. At least its gets preserved alongside the work Hutton Rudby AC do too. I wouldnt mind betting though, when the Seatrout numbers increase, things will get tighter there as well.

17. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

is it possible to join any clubs on the tees dave at sensible prices please

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Yes Peter

Darlington Angling Club. £70 with a joining fee. Bishop Auckland AC about £150 with a joining fee, but are always unsure about renewing their leash at Eggleston. Barnard Castle AC, about £45 a year with some marvelous pools. Darlington Brown Trout have plenty of water, which i think is about £80 a year. Then there is Darlington Flyfishers, about £150 a year, and flyfishing only. Also Snowhall AC about £300. Their water is between Gainford and Piercebridge.

The ADTAC water is at Piercebridge which is £11 when you join Stockton, Thornaby and Yarm. Stockton have water at Gainford, which gives up a decent number of Salmon yearly.

Felling and Ferryhill have water on the river too. Most of these clubs have websites Peter.

There are free stretches too at Broken Scar, and Barnard castle

19. Davo

Davo Rockling

On a personal note, i would like access to the Tees at Ovington, if anyone can help.

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

Yep, Barney is a no no take zone for Salmon only. I've spoke to local anglers regarding Broken Scar, and they have told me the residents only rule doesnt exist no more.