1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

old esk reports

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bulltrout, Oct 30, 2011.

1. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Brought memories back that Steve, as i used to fish the Danby stretch a lot back in those days. Cheers for that.

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I still have that magazine in my collection.
    These days though i dont bother buying the Trout and Salmon simply because its wasted money because the North -East rivers very rarely get a mention.
    Why i dont know?

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Will those days ever return I wonder ?

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

It would be very intresting to know what the runs are on the esk , im sure alot of people would be shocked at the amount that actually goes into that river , unfortunatly a majority of it is only fished bya select few , the esk assosiation boys . :cry: :cry:, if your house doesnt have a nameand you dont live around york your not in ....

6. bucko

bucko New Member

Sorry lads- but I disagree with you on this one.
    I can't afford to join such an organisation but if I could I would be in there like a shot.
    Its all very well saying its down to greed but estates have to cover their costs in the best way possible and if that means fishing goes to the highest bidder then so be it.
    Also, I tend to find that the resentment towards them isn't backed up with any feasible alternative such as an organisation that could run it with the same degree of river management.
    After all lets face it- if it was available to everyone people would only spoil it for themselves whether through snatching/poaching, taking too many fish or letting the place go to pot.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

The EFA isnt as closed a shop as much as people think as long as you know someone with in the Association. Even more so today, with the amount of water they have lost, alongside rising subscriptions the last four years or so.

8. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Got to disagree with there Bucko, i think the situation on the Esk, with the lack of decent fishing available to the ordinary man is the cause to a lot of the poaching which has taken place or takes place on the Esk.
    The Esk is typical of the phrase that (game fishing is for the rich only), this becomes more apparent when you see what is available on just about any other river in England (excluding the southern chalk streams).

9. bucko

bucko New Member

Hi Teesdale

The part I am trying to emphasise is that its all very well to criticise those with the best water (which happens to be most of the river in this instance) but I have yet to see anyone state how else it could be run- with detailed proposals for how hatchery work, river keeping, finances, membership and fishery management would be undertaken.
    Until someone comes up with those I sadly tend to think they are venting their spleen rather than looking at the bigger picture.
    After all (and I know I'll hit controversy in saying this) but the recent petition to open the tidal stretch for angling was shouted from the treetops yet was apparently intended only for those with a Whitby postcode.
    Odd considering me (TS postcode) and my mate (NE postcode) who are both long time Esk rods were asked to sign this petition!!!!!

10. Davo

Davo Rockling

Anyone can join EFA as postcodes dont come in to it. Just contact the Association and that will be confirmed, whether you live in Whitby, Boro, or anywhere, it doesnt matter. Just apply. Regarding postcodes, you could live anywhere in the region more or less with the TS one.

Regarding fishing rights on the Esk, yes it can be frustrating with the Association and other syndicates-private beats etc having the monopoly, but i'd rather have it that way, if for one reason only. I honestly feel the river is physically too small to take the hammering it would take if it was mostly in the hands of open clubs. Just look at the River Wear to give you more of an idea what would happen, and thats a bigger river. Worn banks, tracks, fires, shag bushes etc, and with a lot of the Esk's banks being typically sand, well just use your imagination. Even Danby AC have woken up to the problem and have asked the Association to police it, although, i have to say, they did recite litter being the problem. No, the Esk, and its sister river, the Leven need a little more TLC than most of the bigger rivers in my opinion, and hopefully, i dont think that will/should ever change.

11. Teesdale

With the Esk being one of the best Sea Trout rivers in England and the best way to catch sea trout being the night time fly it's so frustrating to see a river of this quality so under fished.
    I have walked many of the best holding pools at night in the prime months, and very rarely is there anyone fishing.

As for the tide way, this in my opinion should be given to a club to run (not the EFA), maybe on a fly only basis.

Davo you say the EFA is open to anyone, realisticly how many Low income (joe bloggs) are gonna stump up the fees required for membership (think i'm right in saying around a £1000 ish). These fees could be alot lower, if they let in more members, or aloud people to purchase day tickets, or even cash in selling night time Sea Trout tickets, which in turn would enable there waters to be beter policed, after all a poacher won't be to willing to put a net across Dead Mans pool if there were fisherman there through the night.

12. bulltrout

bulltrout Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

after all a poacher won't be to willing to put a net across Dead Mans pool if there were fisherman there through the night.

i wouldnt bank on that mate , I was fishing the river coquet one night mate when i noticed 2 lads pulling a net across just below me, they could see i was there they werent bothered

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

I totaly agree with your thinking teesdale , One thing tho i think the efa dont allow night fishing ?
    I would love to join to be honest but dont know any of there members enough to know my background and are willing to reccomend me .

14. Teesdale

Your right there Bulltrout there is always gonna be the exception, but if the anglers are vigilant enough then at least the level of poaching activity will be know rather than just pure guess work.

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

I know what you are saying Teesdale it is expensive, but the EFA membership price only went up to that price about 4-5 years ago, before then it was no were near that. When i said anyone can join, i was referring to postcodes etc, not what people can afford. That will always be the case in any walk of life, whether it is the price of beer, houses, cars or going to the match etc, some can afford and some cant. Thats life! I know lads in the EFA who joind back in 98 and it cost them £400, which for me was excellent value for money. The price of joining ballooned for various reasons, and i was told that one was, because, they lost a load of water down the Grosmont stretch, which apparently had an impact in the running of the syndicate in some shape or form.?? Regarding membership of the EFA, look at the other side of the coin. There will be no doubt members who feel they have an albatross round their necks with the cost of subs, and their reluctance to give up their membership, as they joined before the massive increase in subs, and now are stuck with subs somewhere near a grand a year. The other option for those members is simple. Bite the bullet and leave, then join a club where they can afford the subs.

16. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have joined a couple of north east clubs ,but i live over 100 miles away from the waters ,i was accepted right away yet locals had difficulty joining ,i was told that they was happy to make distance anglers members because we wasnt expected to fish much due to the distance travelled ? & our subs helped pay for the locals ,it didnt bother me because i fished every weekend & got my monies worth :yes:

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yea i think the first time i had heard of the efa it was 4 or 500 quid to join, now its 300 to join then 800 pound a year .
    I must say tho its probably only these silly prices because the efa have to pay all the landowners big money for the rights ? . ive also heard along the grapevine that the land owners are suposed to be putting the rents up, upto 30k a year so imagine that shared between 70 memebers ? could this be the end of efa, or would them few members pay the rise?
    I reckon the best thign they could do is somthing like teesdale is saying or even just make it abit easier to join and even reduce costs slightly .
    I know for a fact i would probably join it as id love to explore the river proper instead of sticking to free stretches , :laugh: :laugh:
    i agree ide be the first person to stand up and say im jealous , bitter and twisted :laugh: :laugh: :cheesy:

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Its a nice idea Dav opening the water to a larger membership and its a shame it isnt, but like i've said on another thread, when this happens, the river and its banks take a bigger hammering, because of angling pressure. There's one little club who has water on the Esk and has a membership ceiling of 40, now should we criticise them, because thats the way they want their club run? After all, it is their club-they created it, and therefore, its their progative to run their club how they see fit. I walked their beat the other day, and compared to the "open" Danby stretch, its immaculate.

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Yeah i know what your saying there like dave , i actually thought about that when i was writing my last post , re angling pressure , especially with the river only being a dinky one .

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

You been on the Leven lately Dave?