1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK Classic 2012

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by snapper, Feb 28, 2012.

1. snapper

snapper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hope this doesn't fall foul of the rules and apologies for holding the comp down south again...

Right, with the finishing touches now complete and with a day off work taken due to a muscular injury to my paddle motor I’ve decided to be extra committed and post the details of the 2012 OK Classic on the various forums in advance of it being on the Johnson Outdoors website – please look in there in a couple of days to print off and sign the various bits of bumf.

As much as we’d like to see a bigger, better field of competitors this year the clichéd economic climate tm might hit numbers. What does this mean? MORE CHANCE OF WINNING PRIZES!!! The prize pot isn’t shrinking so if you can make it then please do.

A point to note is that the contest is nominally a catch and release one…what this means is that we only require photographs to judge from. However, you are more than welcome to retain any sizeable fish you catch if you wish to do so, just don’t ask me to fillet and cook them for you.

We’ve suggested the same campsite as last year, not because it’s the best but because they didn’t evict us last time. You’ll need to book direct with them though.

A couple more things - the entrance fee of a tenner goes in it’s entirety to the RNLI and the stipulation for third party insurance is a must. BCU / AT membership gives this amongst other bodies; please don’t be put off if you do not currently have any as we have also been able to arrange individual insurance cover for the day in previous years and this should be possible again. As yet I have no price for this but it was around a fiver last year.

Anyway, that’s enough from me for now, I hope to see some of you there for another weekend of fish, meat, drink and banter. Here’s the official gen.

OK Classic 2012 Kayak Fishing Tournament

Sponsored by Johnson Outdoors UK and supported by AnglersAfloat

First Prize: Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3

Second Prize: Ocean Kayak Elite 4.1

Third Prize: Ocean Kayak Tetra 12 Angler

Further discretionary prizes will be awarded on the day

The competition will be held at Swanage, Dorset on Saturday 12th May 2012

All entry fees will be donated to Swanage RNLI Lifeboat Station

The OK (Ocean Kayak) Classic 2012 is the third national kayak fishing competition sponsored by Johnson Outdoors UK www.johnsonoutdoors.co.uk and supported by AnglersAfloat www.anglersafloat.co.uk. This is nominally a catch and release competition with the aim of competitors catching as many different species as possible during an allotted time period on the day of the tournament.

Competitors will be fishing for the grand prize of an Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 fishing kayak. The prize list will also include a trophy and medals for first, second and third places. The second prize will be an Ocean Kayak Elite 4.1 fishing kayak and the third prize will be an Ocean Kayak Tetra 12 Angler fishing kayak. Further discretionary prizes will be awarded on the day. The event is planned to take place on Saturday 12th May 2012.

Terms and conditions

Entry

All competition entrants must be aged 18 or over OR accompanied by a responsible adult.
    A completed entry form and waiver must be filled out and received by the organizers at least 7 days before the registration time for each event and no late entries will be accepted.
    Entry fee is by £10 cheque or postal order which will only be refunded in the event of a complete tournament cancellation, not the rescheduling of the tournament due to bad weather.
    All contestants are required to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy and conservation. Any conduct which reflects unfavourably on the sport of kayak fishing, interferes with or disturbs other competitors or detracts from the organiser’s efforts to promote safety, sportsmanship and fair competition are grounds for immediate disqualification and the return of any prizes awarded.
    All contestants agree to wear a Personal Flotation Device whilst afloat, appropriate clothing for the conditions (a drysuit is strongly advised) and carry a whistle and an emergency rescue knife on their person. The carrying of distress flares and VHF radios are optional but strongly advised.

Competition format

For the purposes of the contest this is a catch and release competition (though competitors may retain their catch if they so wish) and competitors will record details of their catch using their own digital camera. Entrants must bring the memory card from their camera to registration or bring a download cable so that pictures may be retrieved. Cameras may not be shared.
    At the beginning of the event competitors will be given a registration card which has to be photographed by the camera they are going to use on the day to record the species caught. The registration card must be the first image which appears on the camera for the duration of the competition.
    In the event of a draw a points system will be used to determine the outcome.
    The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into. The interpretation of the tournament rules is exclusively left to the tournament organisers and the decisions of the tournament organisers are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal.
    Any protest must be made in writing and logged with a tournament official within thirty minutes of the end of the allotted fishing time.

Fishing methods

Only Kayaks may be used in this event and all fish must be caught from the entrant’s kayak.
    Each kayak may be checked by an event marshal before taking part in the competition.
    All fish must be caught by rod and line.
    A maximum of 2 rods and 8 hooks in total can be used by each entrant at any time.
    Tandem kayaks may only be used with one person aboard.
    Competitors agree to abide by responsible fishing practices (see Addendum A).
    Fishing may only take place between 10:00 and 15:00 on the day of the competition.
    The tournament will be of 5 hours duration, timed from first launch at 10:00 and ending at final beaching at 15:00. All entries must be recorded by the organizers no later than 15:30.
    Fishing for the competition may only take place between the designated points.

Safety

Competitors must sign in no later than 09:00 and attend the compulsory safety briefing at 09:30.
    Competitors must comply fully with the rules of the competition and the decisions of the event marshals and organizing committee as well as the safety boat in attendance.
    Competitors must demonstrate safe and responsible seamanship at all times.
    Competitors must obtain appropriate insurances with a minimum of third party liability cover.
    In the event of prolonged bad weather or unforeseen circumstances the Safety Officer may cancel or reschedule an event at his discretion. Rescheduled dates may differ to those specified.
    For safety reasons hooks may only be attached once the competitor has launched and must be removed before landing.

Photo release

Contestants grant Ocean Kayak and AnglersAfloat the unconditional right to use their name, voice, photographic likeness and biographical information in connection with the production, promotion, and/or articles and press releases relating to the Ocean Kayak Classic and shall not be entitled to receive any royalties or other compensation in connection with such use.

Addendum A – Responsible fishing practices

Johnson Outdoors UK and AnglersAfloat want at all times to promote safe, environmentally and socially responsible fishing practices. Please handle all fish carefully to minimize stress. Please dispose of all tackle responsibly and consider other beach and sea users and commercial fishermen at all times. Please respect the local environment ensuring vehicles and craft do not inconvenience others using the area or its facilities. This is a photographed catch and release competition, however anglers may retain their catch if they so wish.

12TH May 2012

Final Sign In: 09:00

Safety Briefing: 09:30

Launch Time: 10:00

Beaching Time: 15:00

Final Check-in Time: 15:30

Prizegiving: 16:00

Saturday Low Water High Water
    4 days after spring tide 08:59 18:24
    0.9m 2.0 m

Sunrise: 05:23 Sunset: 20:45

Maritime Safety Information broadcast:

VHF Channel 16. 04:30 07:30 10:30 13:30 16:30

Suggested Campsite

Herston Leisure Caravan and Camp Site
    Washpond Lane
    Swanage,
    Dorset
    BH19 3DJ
    01929 422932
    http://www.herstonleisure.co.uk

2. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Sounds like a good event and hell of a prize table, might of been tempted if it wasn't so far away but we'll see how funds are nearer the time.

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Thanks for letting us know. We like to hear about these events and are all for sharing of information etc. I hope your event is a great success. Can I request that you post up results and any pictures after the event so that we can see how it went.

Best wishes - Glenn

4. Baramundi Bob

5. snapper

Yeah sure can,

Guys, I know what a pain the travel is especially with fuel costs. If a bunch of you can share a vehicle and let me know in advance I should be able to lend out some of the demo kayaks we have - they won't have fishfinders but to be honest it's not that neccesary there - such a wide range of species and varying ground. Besides, you lot know how to fish ;)

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Id like to make this one. If I can get a pass out from the FPO I'll go. Sam you are welcome to come with me but i may have to leave your yak there so I can bring my new one home :wink:

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Might just do that Matty, me being an 'old sea dog' I don't need a fishfinder so a demo boat would be fine :yes:

8. snapper

Yeah, just confirmed with the boss, we can sort some demo kayaks out for use. I'd hazard a guess on around half a dozen or so (availability and transportation as we'll be taking prize boats and some 'clean' demo boats too). I can't drill holes in them but will be able to rig some kind of rudimentary anchoring/drogue systems to them.

9. snapper

Here are a few pictures from the last couple of years to whet your appetites! Unlike many competitions the emphasis of this one is on having a fun weekend away and on the water – don’t worry if you’re not competitive or you’re rubbish at fishing, if you aren’t the fittest paddler or don’t have the latest, greatest Gucci kit because prizes get handed out randomly for ridiculous reasons – a Lendal paddle for wearing a Viking hat last year for example while a dogfish, pin whiting, rockling and pout could be enough to win you a thousand quid kayak. Everyone will come away with a goodie bag containing some bits and bobs (the bag can also be used as a dry bag with the application of loads of tape, a drogue if you tie a load of string to it or a downwind sail if you hold it in the air!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reports here from previous years here:

2010: http://kayakingangler.blogspot.com/2010/06/further-afield-ok-classic.html

2011: http://kayakingangler.blogspot.com/2011/05/further-afield-ok-classic-2011-swanage.html

10. mark8

mark8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have fished this the last two years and was lucky enough to come third and go home with a kayak last year.

This is definately my favourite event of the year, a fantastic venue, great crowd and the species hunt aspect makes it an interesting match. The prize table is second to none and discretionary prizes keep being coming and coming.

A long way from Yorkshire but definately worth the effort.

11. Baramundi Bob

Sam and Matty dont need fishfinders. They are "Fishfinders"

Have a good one lads, and look forward too seeing the pics from this year.

12. Baramundi Bob

13. Baramundi Bob

Does anyone know if this event will be running in 2013 ? any dates or info out there yet ?

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

A few sketchy details out there Glenn, a bit of a quote from David Morris..

Before the sad departure of Mr Dron and his team at Johnson Outdoors i had several discussions with OKReally about the OK Classic 2013, and how sad it would be if this tournament should disappear from the Kayak fishing schedule.

Well, the (OK) Classic 2013, has been pencilled for 18th May 2013. Dates are with Swanage Council, once I have the all clear I will let you all know, meantime... jot it down.

I am in contact with one sponsor for next year and have had others suggested.