1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Oh go on then one more time "

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Nicepix

Nicepix New Member

Why not just paddle round? :wink:

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

When I have been out with the Worm on cliff descents and general trips he is the one that is more cautious whilst I am hasty, normally going down on my arse. I have not seen this get down in the flesh so I don't really know the severity of it. Most of the ropes on the cliffs are there purely to assist the climb and are not there to remove the risk of a fatal fall. However if the rope is the last link between you and The Almighty then the stakes are considerably higher. This is why the Birdash get down is infamous. Those that regularly engage with this descent are propelled into almost mythical status amongst the angling community. Those that pit their soul against natural perils in search of their quarry are not merely anglers they become Beowulf's. The majority of the contents in this thread focus on the environment and not the fish or fishing, but the two are inseparable. Most rock anglers are competitive against others, seen through the popularity of matches, and also against nature herself. We have an inbuilt desire to explore, understand and ultimately control nature. Combine these two competitive strands and you are at the heart of rock fishing, and the boundaries have no limits. This is clearly the attraction of this thread and the consequent debate, and also danger, as man will always be drawn to danger. Just look at the language used here and it ignites emotions; "really going for it", "jealous of the Scarborough boys", "extreme fishing". I for one totally love the sense of adventure that comes with climbing up and down cliffs at a place like Bempton, it makes me feel like a kid again, and with a certain irony alive. However I think there is a certain amount responsibility on all that make these descents. While I agree that as adults we all are free to choose to climb or not, we are not free to choose who we influence. It's the youth that look up to great anglers and will do anything to emulate them, and that is my only concern with this topic. Danger coupled with big fish and a mixture of youthful testosterone and they will be first to want to attempt these descents. We've all been young and are easily lead, when saying no is hard to do. Peer pressure in these situations could be serious, I'm sure you've heard it before " go on your not chicken are you?", and once your on the rope if your not comfortable instinct will take over; if someone freezes their not going anywhere. I'm not preaching here as I'm as bad as anyone but it's just another angle of the big picture

I hope the two here can resolve their differences for the sake of future fishing trips - I don't really know how it descended into a what it did

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well put Iain, you just go steady with your new project and your apprentice :wink:....mums the word on that one :secret: :secret:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Quint put it perfectly :yes: I personally have no problem with people taking risks as it's their choice to do what they do, as long as precautions such as safety gear (which you've already covered above) are used. We can't all sit at home thinking what if but we also don't want to hear of people meeting their maker for unnecessary risks. I did a bit of motorsport a few years ago which in itself is a dangerous sport but precautions are in place to minimise risks, as long as the same is done when venturing down a cliff then it's fine. If you don't use safety gear and fall then I guess it's your own fault.
    Now I don't have the balls to go down cliffs like Worm did but just because I wouldn't doesn't mean anyone else shouldn't, just do it safely. Anyway, worm has pointed out safety gear should of been used that time and that he will be using it in the future so all is well.

5. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Bit late on this Topic, but cracking report and cracking picture. I will have to go change my underwear after looking at those pics tho :laugh:

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Now come on jelly , ure taking the fun out of it buying harnesses and descenders ...... :wink: :happy:

7. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Dave and Rob,

Ive just purchased a load of climbing gear. I havent had the chance to try it out yet and havent the balls to go for it on my own. Do you fancy meeting up somewhere central one evening when the clocks change and we can have a few trial runs ? I would suggest somewhere not too taxing to start with :happy: :happy:

How about it ??

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Right Im off to the Scarborough fishing meeting. Hopefully all those who want to continue enjoying their sport as it is now will be there too. See you all there :happy:

9. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Glenn, deffo up for meeting up for the climbing outing.....Ill pm you my tel number etc and we'll have a natter....just not tonight as Im off work with a throat infection and haven 't got much voice left !!
    Give me a couple of days to be able to talk.....lol

Cheers Jellyworm.

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

I tend to agree with the majority of the post's, I believe it should be left up to the individual if they decide to fish these type of fishing mark and it should not be decided by others if we can or cannot, if you feel confident and are well aware of the risk's involved then its your decision, thats just my opinion...

Just a little story about that spot were the lads in question climbed down, I know it was my own fault and it was a stupid decision at the time, a couple of years back i was fishing at that same spot in question i had gone down roll up and walked round the cut off and was fishing, i seen a couple of lads come down that other rope and thought to my self it doesn't look to bad, the fishing was very slow and we decided to go have the last hour of the match on marine drive, as the other lads were still at the bottom fishing,I thought they must of left a rope at the top, so i decided to climb back up this other rope that i had seen the lads come down, i set off and it wasn't easy, it was a hard climb but i felt confident and i got to the top and found that there was no rope for the last 20-30ft.. :scare: :scare:(nightmare) after putting in all the effort in climbing up, i made a stupid decision, it was either climb all the way back down and climb back up the roll up or try and climb the last bit without the rope,, I decided to climb the last bit without the rope, it had been raining earlier on that morning and the grass was wet i got about 10ft up and slipped and went sliding down, i was grabbing at bits of grass to slow me down, i think if had got any higher and slipped the speed i would of been going down the grass slope i wouldn't of stopped until i hit the bottom.. :death: :death: I just sat for awhile and thought what an idiot i had been, i then had to climb back down to the bottom with legs like jelly and back round the cut off and up the roll up, i have never been so relieved to get back to the car in my life...I know how very stupid it was of me, but you can see how it can happen i climbed all the way almost to the top, i could see the top, it was either climb up climb all the way back down and climb back up another cliff, you can see why it was tempting to climb the last bit..
    Just take care when climbing up and down to these spots and don't make rash decisions like i did..

Tightlines... :happy:

11. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Despite the minor glitch midway along the thread,
    it certainly has provoked some interest and some little gems from people of their own experiences.What we both considered before going down was that we wouldn't have to climb back up via that route as we knew the tide would have ebbed enough to get to the easier "Roll up" ropes we both were in no doubt that without ascenders the climb up in the dark on old ropes would have been chancing our luck too much. :yes: :yes: :yes:
    Oh well soon be time for the kayak to come out and then at least there will be no risks.......lol....... except for wind,tides,capsizing etc,etc.......and when asked why I go fishing I always answer ...."Why to relax of course !!".........lol :canadian: :canadian: :canadian:

Cheers Jellyworm.

12. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

:laugh: :laugh: Class!

13. french

french New Member

I've been trying to find a way of getting my missus to come fishing with me. She suggested that she learn to climb properly and we could combine the two interests together. That way she also gets to teach me a thing or too is stead of constantly being the other wway round :tease: :educated:
    anyway, good article jelly :cheesy: :cheesy:

14. ndskinner

ndskinner Blenny

Jellyworm, I would just like to say that i thought the pictures and story were put together very well and were really enjoyed. Thanks.

15. robq

robq Rockling

:surprise: :surprise: :scare: :scare: :scare:

That top gully is REALLY steep !! you were very lucky :yes:

16. robq

robq Rockling

Definitely Glenn :yes: we will sort something out for next month, it doesnt do any harm to have a good practice with the equipment before tackling anything too serious !! the last thing you want to be doing is getting in a muddle over a 300 ft sheer drop :scare: :scare: :death: :death:

17. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

dont know whet all the fuss was about earlier on - all fishing marks are dangerous. plenty of people have been washed off filey brigg, and im sure someone fell off the descent at cloughton wyke a few years back. safety devices are obviously favoured in some places, but no need to condemn certain people or certain marks for their potential hazard. the worst cliff i've done was the one at longhole, dont think i would dare climb down bird ash!! but if someone else wants to then thats their choice. its all part of the sport.

18. newdave

newdave Guest

OK, here goes despite telling BB that i had put my last post on this forum i will make one last attempt to put this to bed.

I am totally pissed off at being cast as the villain of the piece here and would like too make a few things clear.

1. at no time did i tell the Worm & Rob that what they did was wrong, and was not the person who mailed him to that effect

2. I am not a fan of the Nanny state & don't want to stop anybody s fun

3. Quint & a few others have said in better English what i was, trying to convey, obviously the difference between a bloke with a degree & an 11+ failure

4. I tried to have a reasoned debate, not slag anyone off, I know a lot about safety & also have a history when it comes to the bravado of youth, in 1975 i was responsible for Whitby lifeboat launching, I was diving alone in nil viz to 180ft to recover a trawl net, my torch failed & i was entangled eventually surfacing unconscious & requiring decompression. I am extremely lucky to be alive, & eternally greatfull to those guys who came to my assistance, despite my obvious stupidity. I mistakenly believed this gave me some insight.

5. last paragraph from quint, in the words of the divorce lawyer, i site irreconcilable difference and do not want to have the worms love child, so you are in that awkward position of having two mates who don't get along.

Thanks again to all, nothings changed regarding my involvement in the forum & in future i will restrict my in posts to picture of fish, and keep my opinions to myself.

19. Mark

Mark Blenny

Followed this thread with great interest. Firstly great report jelly and great fish,secondly well said Quint totally agree with you and thirdly thanks to newdave for putting a different perspective on it and for wrapping the thread up. Would'nt life be boring if we had the same view.

mark.

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

As I was the individual concerned before this is put to bed lets take a look at how the thread progressed and why I posted the pm's onto the forum.

My second post after the report ,I said that descending devices were really needed....so I was well aware of what I could have done and used....but as a free individual to make my own decisions I made one that looking at the descent I was capable of going down and living to tell the tale.

So when I am repeatedly told what I should have done when I was well aware of what I could choose to use it begins to niggle a little....that is not being closed to others opinions.......if that was the case I would have defended no safety gear right through the thead.....which I didn't.

Then I am told that I am potentially putting the access at Bempton at risk to everyone by posting threads of my reckless antics.That was NOT Dave and I never anywhere said it was.i ALSO NEVER SAID i WAS PISSED OFF AT YOU dAVE......READ WHAT i ACTUALLY PUT !!

The next post after Dave told me I was wrong to pissed off I simply said that I was pissed off with people that I have never met using a forum to dictate to me what I should and shouldn t do..........Seeing as I have met you Dave on numerous occasions over the past season I was dumfounded why you should think that was aimed at you......it wasn't....but for some reason you picked it up as an attack at you and ran off with pm's to me that had to be posted as no way am I engaging in an arguement over a thread in the background of that thread.....it gets said in the open forum or save it till face to face.

Then to tell me to $ucking jump off the cliff....well why was that necessary ?

To go on to say have I got the balls to front you up......well I m not getting into that game...........but you know the answer to that I think ?

The reason I wouldn t answer the phone that evening was with the way your posts had gone I wasn t continuing a telephione arguement with you.

If you read back what is in this thread Dave you should see that you got completely the wrong end of the stick took something personally which was never aimed at you and was quite clearly not aimed at you. Read back carefully and tell me where I was abusive to you ?

As quint says it is a shame that this has happened, if you feel you have been abused then point it out to me and I would apologise.....but i wasn't.......you were abusive........now you've had time to calm down if you want to call me i m off work and you have my number...if you want to continue the arguement no point if you want to resolve things give me a call.

I haven t done this via pm as I believe this needed to be on the forum also.

Regards JELLYWORM.